Page 1 of 4
Metal today is worse off than in the past.

While bands are technically more proficient, the music they're writing is closer to mainstream rock and hardcore; it has lost direction.

Even worse, it has lost content. There is nothing being said that isn't said in the tantrum of a spoiled teenager.

Is that what we want to represent of ourselves to others? Can't we do better? Of course, and we can, but only a few do, because they get drowned out by others, discouraging musicians with vitality from participating.

I blame Christ
SHUT UP.

Christ your ****ing retarded, if you fail to miss the HUNDREDS OF BANDS THAT COME OUT EVERY MONTH THAT STAY TRUE TO THE REAL **** then its your ****ing fault to believe what Headbangers Ball is ****ting down your throat.
bree bree look how fucking metal i am
Quote by Baboom
SHUT UP.

Christ your ****ing retarded, if you fail to miss the HUNDREDS OF BANDS THAT COME OUT EVERY MONTH THAT STAY TRUE TO THE REAL **** then its your ****ing fault to believe what Headbangers Ball is ****ting down your throat.

*nacho tone*take it eaassy!
Quote by Baboom
HUNDREDS OF BANDS THAT COME OUT EVERY MONTH THAT STAY TRUE TO THE REAL **** then its your ****ing fault

Either that or they don't meet my standards, which are derived from the original mainstays of the genre.

What are some good bands? I'm always in search of good metal.
You and I both know there is plenty of new underground metal with amazing musical composition and content.

Having no appreciation for the new wave of metal and its more "mainstream" brethren is all right, but saying all is lost is just plain foolish.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by Baboom

Nice use of grammar there. True sentiment though.
This thread is pointless. I agree that metal has been better. I do not feel like there are many acts worthy of being remembered.
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
Obvious dumbass is obvious.
*reported*
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by Conservationist
Either that or they don't meet my standards, which are derived from the original mainstays of the genre.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376889

You're bound to find something there.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by Conservationist

Use the rec thread lol

Oh, and don't blame Christ for your inability to find satisfaction in newer bands.
Quote by VampireGoldfish
You and I both know there is plenty of new underground metal with amazing musical composition and content.

Having no appreciation for the new wave of metal and its more "mainstream" brethren is all right, but saying all is lost is just plain foolish.

This.
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin
Quote by solidgay
Nice use of grammar there. True sentiment though.

Yeah, I don't care lol.
Quote by Conservationist

Disturbed, Linkin Park, Korn,
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Quote by andy_thomas
Disturbed, Linkin Park, Korn,

Sarcasm?

Satan I hope so.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one

Such as? The only recent bands I've come across that come even close to playing in the bigs, so to speak, are Averse Sefira and Crimson Massacre. We've got more bands than ever before, but none of them are good. Which suggests that, yet again, quantity remains no substitute for quality (and may in fact be a hindrance). We were better off on the whole when recording and releasing music wasn't something any jackoff with a computer could do.
You care to back up your argument with a few name-drops? Exactly what bands are you taking as examples of modern metal, and what bands are your favorites?

Quote by Conservationist

I blame Christ

Please fill me in here. What exactly does that mean?
haha. I believe what your saying to a point with all music. The bands that "make" it now-a-days arent anywhere near what bands used to be (in all genres). But thats because Mainstream sells. So i advise you to turn off your radio, and pick up a CD and listen.
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
Quote by what??
Please fill me in here. What exactly does that mean?

I think it was an attempt to be funny that failed miserably.
I will say this.

No matter what era, Black Metal always stands out as the most consistent genre (in terms of how good the bands are).
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by False Profit
Such as? The only recent bands I've come across that come even close to playing in the bigs, so to speak, are Averse Sefira and Crimson Massacre. We've got more bands than ever before, but none of them are good. Which suggests that, yet again, quantity remains no substitute for quality (and may in fact be a hindrance). We were better off on the whole when recording and releasing music wasn't something any jackoff with a computer could do.

Name a genre and I will list off bands that are up there with the old greats.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
*reported*

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS.

edit: beaten by Virtuoso, but people, stop posting FFS.
Last edited by Mr. President at Jun 8, 2008,
Hey dont get me wrong...but i have heard Hymns better than some of the **** people play today.
Quote by False Profit
Death metal

Repugnant
Necros Christos
!.T.O.O.H.!
Conqueror
Splatterhouse
Lykathea Aflame
Gorguts
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Repugnant
Necros Christos

Haven't heard, can't comment.

!.T.O.O.H.!

Hipster garbage

Conqueror

If this is the Conqueror I'm thinking of, they're godawful three chord bar rock masquerading as 'war metal.'

Splatterhouse

Not familiar to me.

Lykathea Aflame

Incoherent bull****, and contrived to boot.

Gorguts

Great band, but they're hardly 'new.' They've been recording for the better part of 20 years, and haven't released a new album in 8 years.
Quote by Conservationist
Metal today is worse off than in the past.

While bands are technically more proficient, the music they're writing is closer to mainstream rock and hardcore; it has lost direction.

Even worse, it has lost content. There is nothing being said that isn't said in the tantrum of a spoiled teenager.

Is that what we want to represent of ourselves to others? Can't we do better? Of course, and we can, but only a few do, because they get drowned out by others, discouraging musicians with vitality from participating.

I blame Christ

Closer to hardcore nowadays? What do you listen to nothing after the late 80s?

As much as I love metal, it has never had much content. Sure there are bands every now and again that will sing about something worthwhile, but most of it is about being evil, or fantasy crap, nothing much more. And really, who cares? Unless you're the type of teenage girl that likes to lock themselves in their bedroom and read along...

And mainstream metal has very RARELY been good. It's always been underground stuff or stuff that is well known but not oustide of their 'niche'. Niche probably isn't the right word, I'll use an example to explain. Nearly all thrash metal fans know who Coroner are, yet most non-thrashers probably don't.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
LOL.

Jesus christ, your ****ing stupid False Profit.
Quote by False Profit
Haven't heard, can't comment.

Hipster garbage

If this is the Conqueror I'm thinking of, they're godawful three chord bar rock masquerading as 'war metal.'

Not familiar to me.

Incoherent bull****, and contrived to boot.

Great band, but they're hardly 'new.' They've been recording for the better part of 20 years, and haven't released a new album in 8 years.

That's nice kiddie, go back to Death Metal Club now and ask wolfgang666 what to say next
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

As much as I love metal, it has never had much content. Sure there are bands every now and again that will sing about something worthwhile, but most of it is about being evil, or fantasy crap, nothing much more. And really, who cares? Unless you're the type of teenage girl that likes to lock themselves in their bedroom and read along...

Lyrics are window dressing, and mostly metaphorical anyway. Content is carried mostly by music.
Don't fucking bother. Anusites are impossible to please. I mean, fuck, they have the nerve to call Dark Tranquillity "anti-innovative" while praising Deicide's Till Death Do Us Part which contributes absolutely nothing new to the death metal genre.

And how the hell are Lykathea Aflame incoherent?

Lol, I just saw this on Anus:

June 6 is a perfect day for Hessians across the country to come together and engage in something upon which we can all agree - listening to Slayer! Also, do you really want those evangelical Neo-Cons to have all the fun with their "National Day of Prayer"? Enjoy a "National Day of Slayer" instead:

National Day of Slayer

* Listen to Slayer at full blast in your car.
* Listen to Slayer at full blast in your home.
* Listen to Slayer at full blast at your place of employment.
* Listen to Slayer at full blast in any public place you prefer.

Download Slayer's 1986 Demo with songs from "Reign in Blood"

Then you can take that participation to a problematic level:

* Stage a "Slay-out." Don't go to work. Listen to Slayer.
* Spray paint Slayer logos on churches, synagogues, or cemeteries.
* Play Slayer covers with your own band (since 99% of your riffs are stolen from Slayer anyway).
* Kill the neighbor's dog and blame it on Slayer.<

This has to be a joke.
Quote by False Profit
Lyrics are window dressing, and mostly metaphorical anyway. Content is carried mostly by music.

Sorry, I didn't figure you'd be stupid enough to whinge about the musical quality of modern metal. Certainly some is awful, but there always has been awful metal! Glam metal, Pile Driver, Wicked Innocence....

Don't ****ing bother. Anusites are impossible to please. I mean, ****, they have the nerve to call Dark Tranquillity "anti-innovative" while praising Deicide's Till Death Do Us Part which contributes absolutely nothing new to the death metal genre.

Or, as it turns out, there hasn't been new commentary on Deicide since When Satan Lives, which would seem to indicate you don't even know what the hell you're talking about...
Quote by False Profit
Or, as it turns out, there hasn't been new commentary on Deicide since When Satan Lives, which would seem to indicate you don't even know what the hell you're talking about...

He's not sitting on his armchair claiming to know everything metal, just stating his opinion (he's on a forum afterall). You on the other half seem to think you are the authority on quality of metal, even though you're named after a Mutiilation single

Quote by False Profit

http://www.anus.com/metal/about/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=20

Look over on the right, in the red sidebar.

See that? Yeah, it's about the new Deicide.

So, uhh, bite me. And you didn't address the part about Dark Tranquillity or Lykathea Aflame.
Page 1 of 4