alright, I'm lookin to get a new fender deluxe p bass special. It comes with a rosewood or maple fretboard. What is the difference besides maple being harder? And what are the advantages?

An I know someone will say it so I WILL try them both out.
Governor of the Jersey Rocks group
PM me to join
Soundwise, maple is much brighter than rosewood. I prefer maple for a punchy pbass tone. My pbass clone is all maple and with the SD quarter pounders is the brightest thing in the bass universe.

The other issue with rosewood is that if you live in an area that is drier, rosewood requires a bit more care. I have a Ibanez with a rosewood fretboard and I find I have to oil it at least once a month.
To me Maple sounds better and feels better. I barely put up with rosewood because my bass was a good deal and sounds good otherwise. A maple fretboard would make my bass 1000x better. If you can't tell, I like maple, A LOT. To me it's a no brainer, to you maybe rosewood is right, but then I would question your sexuality.
ya as I was doing my monthly bass cleaning, an I noticed some dents on my fretboard from the strings. It bugs me to no end. But I still don't know.

Btw it is a black bass with a gold pickguard an looks are important .
PM me to join
Quote by anarkee
The other issue with rosewood is that if you live in an area that is drier, rosewood requires a bit more care. I have a Ibanez with a rosewood fretboard and I find I have to oil it at least once a month.

**** I should probably be doing this to my Schecter at least. I live in Arizona. lol

I don't honestly have a huge preference of maple/rosewood, it just so happens both of my basses have rosewood fretboards.

Oh yeah, and as far as looks go, a fretless maple looks friggin ridiculous IMO.
2 of my 3 main basses have maple fingerboards, as does my Strat. My other bass has a wenge board. The only rosewood I have is on my acoustic, surprise surprise. I swear by maple. The cleanliness and clarity of the tone is just off the chart.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
On looks I think the rosewood is sexy as hell, Maple looks to vanilla to me. Now ebony fretboards, those are ridicilously gorgeous.
maple all the way
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Sly Taco
I dig rosewood, to me its more "warm"and "deep" sounding if that helps at all.

I'm with Sly, I prefer the sound of rosewood and I also prefer the feel, maple fretboards, to me, feel a little sticky. On a guitar I'd have maple over rosewood any day but for bass it's the other way round.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
I'm with Sly, I prefer the sound of rosewood and I also prefer the feel, maple fretboards, to me, feel a little sticky. On a guitar I'd have maple over rosewood any day but for bass it's the other way round.

don't listen to this guy he plays a p bass
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0

I'd rather trust a P-Bass owner than a Welshman
Quote by Bumper

Maple!!!FTW
Some say its a bit too crunchy, but that can be solved with a big glass of milk.
Tis' a great midnight snack.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by indie-bassist
I'd rather trust a P-Bass owner than a Welshman

at least you get more than 1 tone out of a welshman
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Quote by skater dan0
at least you get more than 1 tone out of a welshman

Damnit

Quote by Bumper

Quote by skater dan0

I'm actually asking this ebcause I'm looking to buy a P bass

My tone is a very deep thump tone with very clear notes. I think I'm leaning towards the maple because I can adjust the bassy part through my amp. Still dont know though.
PM me to join