which speaker is better for classic rock, hard rock, blues, grunge and early old school thrash and speed metal?
what are the general consensus for what frequency ranges these speakers tend to boost or cut?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Both thrown together is better than both by themselves.
So a combo between the g12t and the v30 is good.
Signatures are overrated.
well what about for the 1960 marshall cab?
the normal one with g12t's or the more expensive 1960v one with v30's
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Like I said, a mix between the two.
In a 4x12, the two types of speakers work well together in an x configuration.
Signatures are overrated.
so would you recommend say buying a normal one, than upgrading two with v30's?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I would say try to find somewhere that will sell you a cab with whatever you want in it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
well for thrash, the V30`s are what Slayer uses.

an amp builder told me if i put V30`s in my 1960 cab i`ll basicly double the volume of my amp because the V30`s are 3 db louder then the G12T75`s.

i`m pretty sure your the guy who`s tryin to get a JCM 900 , i can tell you, you don`t really need to double the volume on that amp LOL. he also recommed putting 2 75`s and 2 V30`s in an X in my cab.

he also said V30`s are more trebly then the G12T75, i`m not sure if i want that, the JCM 900 is a very trebly amp, with not so much low end.

but find a used 1960 cab, and buy 2 V30`s for it. it`ll be cheaper then a new 1960 cab and WAYYY cheaper then a Vintage 1960 cab.
^disagree with the volume thing. 3db is the smallest difference that a human can detect, so definitely not doubling the around 100 that an amp like that is producing.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Slayerdeath
well for thrash, the V30`s are what Slayer uses.

an amp builder told me if i put V30`s in my 1960 cab i`ll basicly double the volume of my amp because the V30`s are 3 db louder then the G12T75`s.

i`m pretty sure your the guy who`s tryin to get a JCM 900 , i can tell you, you don`t really need to double the volume on that amp LOL. he also recommed putting 2 75`s and 2 V30`s in an X in my cab.

he also said V30`s are more trebly then the G12T75, i`m not sure if i want that, the JCM 900 is a very trebly amp, with not so much low end.

but find a used 1960 cab, and buy 2 V30`s for it. it`ll be cheaper then a new 1960 cab and WAYYY cheaper then a Vintage 1960 cab.

yeah that sounds like a good idea, i was going to buy used anyway i've found some for 400 usd
how do you like you're 900 in general, i'm most likely gonna get a 4100
still have to try it though, i'll probably have to try it, and decide on the spot, so am doing lengthy ass amounts of research on it before hand lol
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
i love my JCM 900, it`s got the Marshall roar that everyone loves, it`s crisp and clear, awesome thrash tone with EMG`s, my only thing with it, it`s got next to no low end, easy fix though... MXR 108 10 band EQ, i`m telling you, it`s a freaking god send for this amp. i can control my feed back so much better, my JCM shakes my house now, it brings that amp to life even more. and you`ll do anykind of music with it, be it country to rip your face off high gain metal.
I think you should play thru them first if at all possible. I don't think the G12T75 work best in all applications. I like them with the Marshall type heads, but I don't really like what they do with certain amps. Kind of a crunchy highend, pronounced lowend, and mid scoop thing going on. I'm sure that works great with some heads, just not what I was looking for. I just tried an X pattern with 75's and V30 in my cab, and I don't really care for it. They sound ok to me live in the room, but I didn't like the results close mic'ing them.

btw, there is also a noticable difference in volume, going directly in front of the cab and different speakers. It's not double or anything, but that +3dB in sensitivity would be the same difference in SPL as doubling the wattage of the amp.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jun 9, 2008,
well the thing is i'm going for versatility, you know?
i'll play with mids scooped ONLY SOMETIMES NOT ALL THE TIME, (for the whole thrash thing, metallica, slayer all that) but i'll be playing with a bunch of mids a ton of the time so i need something that can keep both of that
i don't want to harsh highs, i've heard the 900 already has some pretty harsh highs as is
hmm so thanks bunches erock503, and also slayerdeath for the info on the 900, from everything i've heard i really think i'll get it
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Erock hit it pretty good with the G12T75`s , there a darker voiced speaker, thats for sure, but the 900 has so much high`s and mids, it doesn`t matter, now i`ve NEVER played with V30`s b4, but the amp builder i was talking too said there really high voiced, he said i`ll probly never go past 3 on the treble right now my treble is set at 6.

the low end on the JCM 900 is just so tight, that the amp doesn`t really let it really shake, but thats where the MXR comes in, trust me it shakes now LOL, and i can even dial in more bass if i wanted too.
ah i see i'll just get one with g12t's for now
than possible upgrade it later if i desire it
thanks for the help you guys
can't wait to try out and get this amp man, i'm itchin' for it pretty badly lol
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
LOL, i bet you can`t wait, god when i found my JCM900 it was like bein a kid at christmas, new stuff ROCKS!!!

you`ll totaly have to tell us how you like it and post pics after all the JCM 900 posts you`ve put up LOL.
Quote by Kevin Saale
^disagree with the volume thing. 3db is the smallest difference that a human can detect, so definitely not doubling the around 100 that an amp like that is producing.

Thats not true, 1db is smallest difference a human ear can perceive, 3db is a huge gain, the difference between a 100 watt and a 50 watt amp. 3db gain is like have an amp would make a 50 watt amp = to a 100 watt.