I have a squire affinity strat that i got cheap at a pawnshop in Huston some time ago, and I've been itching to do something interesting with it, so I plan to modify it beyond recognition. I am doing this partly because I want a good sound from it, but mostly because i like messing with stuff. I plan to put about 200$ of mods into it over the next year or so (obviously much more than i paid for it).

So i thought it would be neat to metaphorically hand my guitar to UG and let you guys suggest modifications to add to it.

The rules: Pick any part (nothing is out of bounds**), no price range* post a link to the part (preferably one where i can order it from) explain why that part would be a good idea, and i will compile the best suggestions I receive into a list of to do items, finally don't trash each others ideas, instead post a better alternative and justify its superiority.

If you have any suggestions on how to perform a mod, feel free to post them, i will be doing all the work myself.

I will try to keep the thread updated by posting images of my progress as I modify the guitar, but it will probably be a long process.

*I am not working with an unlimited supply of money so the cheaper the item is, the more likely I will be to pick it to add to the guitar.
**I already have a killswitch so it would be pointless adding another one.

Pickups-GFS overwound strat pickups-Sam Prillaman
Pots
Tuners-Gotoh Locking tuners-Sam Prillaman
Knobs
Switches
Bridges
Tremolos
Pick guards
Necks
on-board effects

If i chose your idea, i will try to credit you (your username) somewhere on the guitar.
If anyone has suggestions or insight on how they want the credit done they can post that too. I play just about everything from reggae to Death Metal so I'm open to sounds from all genre's.

Lastly, I know the squire is not an awesome guitar but that doesn't bother me because h'm just modifying this for fun anyway.
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
Last edited by evilbeaver22 at Jun 8, 2008,
Fret it in quarter tones up to the twelfth fret and put a fuzz factory and Kaos Pad in it along with a roland guitar synth. That would be one awesome strat.

EDIT: If you do use any of these things put my name on the back of the headstock.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
get some locking tuners (gotoh locking 6 a side), new pickups (GFS on budget also they will obviously depend on the sound you want), either a see-through pickguard or a wood one,
dunlop strap locks, chrome screw in knobs, keep the tremolo and the neck.

Trying to do a Kaoss strat with onboard effects on a squier is retarded and pointless, plus it would rape your budget and make a fetus with down syndrome
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
Put a Super V tremolo in, 500K pots, a TBX tone control, change the neck and the bridge pickup to Gibson PAFs or 81/85 EMGs, and build either a Danelectro EQ or a Boss EQ in to it. And add a volume for each pickup! Add my name to the pickguard, kinda like SRV!
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster