so ive heard that guitars with active pickups wouldnt sound good through a cube 60 and im jus curious as to why, because ive tried active pickup guitars such as the schecter hellraiser on other lower quality amps and it sounded fine to me....so can anyone possibly explain why active pickups wouldnt sound good through a cube 60?
uhm
let me explain
passives>actives
the end
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
beats me...i dont think they sound different on a tube amp (if were talking clean/not natural od). EMG's sound like...EMG's to me regardless of the amp, its all in the effects for them
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
Quote by Lamrick21
beats me...i dont think they sound different on a tube amp (if were talking clean/not natural od). EMG's sound like...EMG's to me regardless of the amp, its all in the effects for them

which is why
passives>actives
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
Quote by mikeyElite
i hated the way EMGs sounded on my cube. i swapped them out for passives.

he is smart^
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by *sigh*
i know passives r better and i feel more secure about em since they dont run on a lil battery...i was jus curious about em and if they really sounded like **** through cube so mikey thanks for clearin the second part up
It's all up to you. If you think it sounds good then don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.
Yea, dont rip on EMG's... cause yea ive used some very top notch passives all my guitar years, and i just now got the new 08 hellraiser.. (EMG actives) and... well they sound plain better than any thing gibson could throw out. ( hence i didnt say SD ) People say they sound muddy... turn your volume down on guitar and perfect. Solos... simply tear through. Great sustain on them. Its all im opinion. I myself like the crunch they put out. But some like smooth sounding ones.. whatever. Passive=Active
Bogner Überschall
Marshall 1960A
Mesa Standard Rectifier 4x12
Gibson SG Standard
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
Last edited by StiffPick at Jun 9, 2008,
Quote by bi-ah!
uhm
let me explain
passives>actives
the end

Ok, usually your posts seem intelligent, but that's just retarded.

TC, the concept of active pickups is to make a super high-output pickup WITHOUT putting so much magnets in a pickup that the sustain is gone. So what they did was actually UNDER WRAP the pickup, then put the signal through a built in preamp to make it louder and give it more output. Because the pickup isn't wrapped near as much, sustain increases. Because generally you cannot change the settings on the preamp, though, generally active pickups sound very similar in each guitar, and the "compressed" sound is commonly related to the built-in preamp as well.

As active pickups are advancing, this problem IS being solved. EX: the new active pickups from SD called Blackouts sound almost totally different from one guitar to the next. Have you tried them? They actually sound like the guitar, yet remain incredibly high output compared to passives.

Please TC, don't listen to people who say things like "x is better than y, end of story" unless they can back it up with something other than "IMO" then it's NOT a fact, although it's clear some of them think their opinion is factual. I encourage you to try active pickups, especially Blackouts, before you rule out active pickups in general.
Solid state amps dont usually bring out the full potential of active pups..

Digital and modelling amps sometimes cant handle the hot signals of
them..Some start clipping and the sustained notes break up and die
without warning...

This is just information in general...but people take general information
and make it the law..it is not the law. There are exceptions to every rule..

However..I honestly dont know if your cube will do active pups alot of justice.
Putting that money towards a new amp may give more of the tone youre looking
for.

When I play metal..I like the crunch and the wicked bends active EMG's create..

Passive pups however have a lot of small things that you give up when u put
all that gain into the equation...I look at it like a spectrum of sound..
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

passives are what i call....tone 1-7....you have all the small things that make you
sound like you. The string gauges make more of a difference in your tone..pick attack
and theres not that compression..so you can create gradient tones...you can play metal
but you wont get very insane with tone...the guitars natural resonance will be heard.
The things like the choices of wood and the method of construction will all be factors
in your tone. Your American made Les Paul will be different from the Indonesian chinese
wood...(no offense)

actives are what i call 4-10...you get crazy aggressive tones...but you are giving up the
things like string gauge and pick attack..You need alot of left and right hand techniques..
You have to really work hard to sound original..They can get crazy but the things like
method of construction and types of wood wont be as audible. This can make them a
good choice to drop into a cheaper guitar that is only used for aggressive tones. All
you basically need is the right wood...light or dark sounding..

With expensive guitars Active pups may be a big mistake in my opinion...because you
are reverse engineering the guitar. They designed it for a reason and you are taking
all of the tiny things that were so well thought about out of the equation..and you are
simply left with a guitar that *looks cool*.

I love to play strats through el cheapo bass amps..because I cant afford a real
good guitar tweed amp..and u can get that in a bass amp all day ..and cheap.
It looks weird to alot of people..but who cares?

If everyone did the same thing..noone would be famous..Take the tone you love
and prove the world wrong!!!
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jun 9, 2008,
fretz is right. just like everything else, active pickups give and take a lot of things. your tone consists of a lot of different things and the way you put them together is what makes yours different from the next guy.

dane, if they sounded good to you through your friends amp, then get them. i'm not going to tell you what you should or shouldn't do. i'm just giving you basic guidelines on things you should watch out for, because your tone is much different than mine and i have no business telling you what you should do with your tone. because what you choose to do with it, makes it yours.

most of the time you can't come to UG to find answers, only advice. many that is why you've always doubted the forums and always afraid you'll get flamed like a mofo. if you put your question in the right way, you'll be directed in the right way. the key about this site is that we're a community, if you treat someone with proper respect, they'll help you as much as they can. there are so many guitarists from beginners to professionals on this site, some stronger in some areas than others. if you have a question, even if you think its the stupidest question, bring it to the forums because we know that we probably were wondering the same thing at one point. the only way you can learn is if you ask or practice. nobodies going to flame you for asking a dumb n00b question because we were all at that point once.

if you learn how to use this site as a community you'll learn a lot of stuff like i did. before i was introduced to this site i was clueless, these other guitarists were my mentors at some point, i've learned a lot from everybody here. and i'm sure you will too, you just have to ask.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by ugmung
fretz is right. just like everything else, active pickups give and take a lot of things. your tone consists of a lot of different things and the way you put them together is what makes yours different from the next guy.

dane, if they sounded good to you through your friends amp, then get them. i'm not going to tell you what you should or shouldn't do. i'm just giving you basic guidelines on things you should watch out for, because your tone is much different than mine and i have no business telling you what you should do with your tone. because what you choose to do with it, makes it yours.

most of the time you can't come to UG to find answers, only advice. many that is why you've always doubted the forums and always afraid you'll get flamed like a mofo. if you put your question in the right way, you'll be directed in the right way. the key about this site is that we're a community, if you treat someone with proper respect, they'll help you as much as they can. there are so many guitarists from beginners to professionals on this site, some stronger in some areas than others. if you have a question, even if you think its the stupidest question, bring it to the forums because we know that we probably were wondering the same thing at one point. the only way you can learn is if you ask or practice. nobodies going to flame you for asking a dumb n00b question because we were all at that point once.

if you learn how to use this site as a community you'll learn a lot of stuff like i did. before i was introduced to this site i was clueless, these other guitarists were my mentors at some point, i've learned a lot from everybody here. and i'm sure you will too, you just have to ask.

My guess i you have never tried some X2n pickups, which are really high gain, or my favorite pickups ever which are the D-Activator X pickups. They can do crushing high gain, have lots of sustain, and can do extreme clean with a lil volume roll down. YOu cant get that versatility with actives. The Diactivator X are expensive but so r the EMGs after all.

I still really like the EMGs though.
Hey i also have a roland but a micro cube =) would passive pickups make me feel some difference? i have emg designed pickups and a ibanez rg321ex
The original point of active pickups was to be able to drive an amp as hard as possible, without inducing too much unwanted background noise (as you get with high-output passive pickups). That's it. That's all there is to it. Every other benefit they offered (such as the lower magnetic field) were purely accidental byproducts, a happy coincidence. The big drawback of actives of course (other than needing a battery) is they lack tonal response and depth, they have quite a flat, 'compressed' tone, as many others have mentioned.

So if you're not actually looking to crank your amp as far as it can physically take it, then there is just no point in active pickups. You're sacrificing tonal response for an almost completely unnoticeable, tiny increase in sustain. Especially considering the many high-gain amps there are these days, or that you can simply buy a boost pedal - active pickups are pretty pointless to all but the most demanding of professional heavy metal musicians. Even then it's debatable whether or not they actually offer any advantage.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
So this background noise is solved by a pedal like noise gate? can i use that on micro cube? im all confused xD
Quote by blind.quardian
So this background noise is solved by a pedal like noise gate? can i use that on micro cube? im all confused xD

no, it wouldn't be worth buying a noise gate for a microcube. your pickups are designed by EMG, they're passives not actives.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Lol i know they are passives =) i just wanted to say changing my passive pickups with a better passive would make any difference on a cube
thanks for the help everyone and i do believe passives would be the right choice for me but i thought i would seek some advice from the ug community....again thanks
now you just have to figure out which passives...
lol.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
ha ill have no money at first dude thats y i wanna make the right choices for my new ****