Awhile ago I had mentioned I purchased a 100w JCM900 (4100 model) and a 1936 2x12 cab. I had been considering getting a Peavey Classic 30 combo, but I got fantastic deals on both of the cab and head... I just couldn't pass it up. However, I was concerned that the Marshall would wind up being too much power in the long run, especially since I currently live year round in residence halls on campus and after graduation am looking to get an apartment in Chicago.

I'm at the point where I'm gonna get rid of this amp. I can not get this to crunch for the life of me, unless I want to shake the walls on the other side of the building. I'm also starting to feel it might be part of the reason why I'm having troubles with pinch harmonics. Also note I haven't had this thing beyond 8 ohms and low mode once and have no OD pedal of any sort.

Do ya'll back me up in reselling this monster and start looking back at that Peavey? Perhaps I should probably look into an OD pedal, but what should I be looking for? Or maybe someones got some other suggestions...
Epiphone G-400
Peavey Classic 2x12 Combo
Squier Jazz Bass
Last edited by Grenade_Jumper at Jun 8, 2008,
I always thought their distortion was pretty impressive, maybe i'm wrong. But if your moving into an apartment and will still have a tube amp regardless, you could also invest in an attenuator. You could use it to lower your sound a bit and crank the amp more
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Pinch harmonics have nothing to do with the amp, you should be able to get them to ring out acoustically. I would sell it if I was you, it's definitely the type of amp that needs some volume to sound good. Maybe try a 5 watt tube amp or something similar.

Also, I have no idea what you're talking about with the ohms and low mode. Ohms don't describe volume.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
get an attenuator(sp?)...?
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
just try out a distortion pedal first before you go selling everything and if that doesn't work tweak the amp some more to see if you can find the crunch, and if not sell that ho
Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the f***ing car.
I love pulp...
Someone told me there's a girl out there
With love in her eyes and flowers in her hair...

I will find this girl.

^Get a lower wattage amp. Unless you'll be playing stadium gigs you won't need 100w tube power. I say 30 watts at max if you aren't gigging and probably a Fender Super Champ XD for practice. You can crank it and it sounds good but it's not loud enough for people to hear a mile away. Though the neighboring apartment residents will hear it.
I got some good guitars, yo.
DO NOT SELL THE AMP.

i have the 4500, it`s awesome, but i hear you in everything you say, it`s all true.

get a MXR 108 10 band EQ, i swear to god it`ll be the best $150 bucks you`ve ever spent, i just got one, it`s got it`s own gain slider, stick it in the effects loop and enjoy pure bliss.

also i know this isn`t part of your question, but i owed a 1936 Lead cab for awhile, i hated it, a 1960 4X12 is SOOOOOOOO much better, it was night and day between the 2 cabs.

i don`t know what music you play, but if it`s metal, EMG`s, OMG they are crazy with that amp and the 10 band EQ, pinch harmonics FOREVER, fluid sustain, it will rip your face off, i`m not even kidding, that amp will scream.
I know that pinch harmonics have nothing to do with the amp, but I've heard a lot that they're be easier to get the hang of and hear out when u got a good overdrive going... perhaps just a myth.

The "low" mode means that its outputting at 50w, not the full 100w.

Slayerdeath, do you have your JCM at the full 50w or on low mode too?
Epiphone G-400
Squier Jazz Bass
You might find that an attentuator would solve some of your problems. It'd certainly let you crank it at much lower volumes, which is what seems to be your problem.

Weber make good attentuators I've heard, worth a look before selling it. An EQ might help too.
i use mine on high

i don`t like low mode.

and pinch harmonics have alot to do with your guitar AND amp. my Warlock through the 10 band and JCM will pull pinch harmonics to the sky.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Too much headroom?

I never have enough room for my head - if you know what I mean....

haha nice
classic
well anyway i would say, get a attenuator if you like the amp, if you're at all disappointed than just get the classic 30
how do you like it?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by Grenade_Jumper
Awhile ago I had mentioned I purchased a 100w JCM900 (4100 model) and a 1936 2x12 cab. I had been considering getting a Peavey Classic 30 combo, but I got fantastic deals on both of the cab and head... I just couldn't pass it up. However, I was concerned that the Marshall would wind up being too much power in the long run, especially since I currently live year round in residence halls on campus and after graduation am looking to get an apartment in Chicago.

I'm at the point where I'm gonna get rid of this amp. I can not get this to crunch for the life of me, unless I want to shake the walls on the other side of the building. I'm also starting to feel it might be part of the reason why I'm having troubles with pinch harmonics. Also note I haven't had this thing beyond 8 ohms and low mode once and have no OD pedal of any sort.

Do ya'll back me up in reselling this monster and start looking back at that Peavey? Perhaps I should probably look into an OD pedal, but what should I be looking for? Or maybe someones got some other suggestions...

i leave my 100watt 4100 head in the 50watt setting. how often to you jam with drummers? you get a pretty ****ing good tone putting it up to four or almost five, which is a good level for drums i think. just for yourself the amp is loud as hell though.

what kind of tubes do you have? some 900's came with 6L6's. if yours does, swap'em out for e34l's. they have less headroom than the 6L6's. and use a distortion pedal in front of the amp.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
an attenuator turns the volume down so you can run the pre amp up and still have low volume, search ebay for the suck box it'd be a good idea if you wanna keep ur setup
My Gear:
LTD EC-1000 (duncan jb/jazz)
Schecter SLS (EMGs)
ESP Horizon
6505 head
Marshall 1960lead cab
Boss noise gate
maxon od808
boss chorus
boss de-7
Dunlop strings and tortex 1.14s
Does the 50w/100w switch switch off off 2 of the tubes or is it a triode/pentode switch? cause if its is the latter I think you can also try pulling two of the tubes in 50w mode to drop it to 25w.
My Stuffs
Whammy->DL4->Holy Grail->MXR 108->Mesa Rectoverb
OCD->Sun Face->Big Muff->535Q->DL4->Orange TT
sell sell sell, not only do you have a 100 watt amp, it's a 100 watt amp and a 4x12, the only thing this ='s is loud, if you can afford to keep it and use it live whilst buying another smaller sub 30 watt tube amp do, otherwise say goodbye, there is no practical use for it for you
Gats:
Fender US Vintage 70's Strat, Modded Epi LP, Ibanez RBM-1
Amp:
Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20
Pedals:
Catalinbread Semaphore, Red WitchPhaser, Line 6 FM-4, Ibanez SM-9, Ibanez SD-9, Morely Bad Horsie, TC Electronic Nova Delay
Quote by clap_clap_clap
sell sell sell, not only do you have a 100 watt amp, it's a 100 watt amp and a 4x12

Try reading his posts before posting yourself. He has a 2x12 not a 4x12 and has the amp on the 50Watt setting, not the 100Watt setting.
Anyway, I'd suggest getting an EQ and/or OD to get your sound going. Also if by crunch you mean crunch then try turning the preamp gain up on the clean channel to around 3 oclock, that should get you a better crunch type sound.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Try reading his posts before posting yourself. He has a 2x12 not a 4x12 and has the amp on the 50Watt setting, not the 100Watt setting.

My bad, but still, a smaller combo seems like a much more practical solution, or even a POD or guitar rig 3 for practising then JCM for live
Gats:
Fender US Vintage 70's Strat, Modded Epi LP, Ibanez RBM-1
Amp:
Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20
Pedals:
Catalinbread Semaphore, Red WitchPhaser, Line 6 FM-4, Ibanez SM-9, Ibanez SD-9, Morely Bad Horsie, TC Electronic Nova Delay
Hey Kino, they operate in Triode in low mode.
Epiphone G-400
Squier Jazz Bass
in that case, if you were to pull out two of the power tubes, either the outer two or the inner two, it will cut the power down to ~25w. It wont be a huge difference but it might help a little. I'm fairly sure that triode mode won't cause any problems, but Im not 100% sure.
Also if you pull tubes you want to use half of the output impedance that you would use normally. So if you were running an 8ohm cab, after you pull tubes you'll want to use a 4ohm speaker out. You don't have to do this as a 2 to 1 mismatch won't blow up the output transformer but still something to consider.
My Stuffs
Whammy->DL4->Holy Grail->MXR 108->Mesa Rectoverb
OCD->Sun Face->Big Muff->535Q->DL4->Orange TT