Page 1 of 2
the only possible way to never sell out in your band ever is to A) play music and never ever record it to sell it (only as a personal copy for yourself and your bandmates). B) never ever make band t-shirts that have your bands name or logo (however making doodles for your own band is fine if you wear it). C) No sponsored tours of any kind for then you will sell out your entire band and music.

Now the only people that I'm aware of that haven't sold out are solo acoustic people that are poor and go to open mic night to play their music.

so, mainly 98.5% of people here want to sell out, and sell out fast because if its not making a demo for your fans to sell (however there are bands that do "free" demos [only in hopes so that they can come to their next gig and purchase a ticket to the pay the expense of the band that they came to see] but they're rare for a completely free demo.) then its making a stupid sponsored tour in support of monster or amp energy drinks along with sony or capital records.

so you bunch of sell outs whats your opinion? oh and before you flame me, yes i do sell everything i can to make my band big which includes shirts, demos, stickers, etc.
It is true, people always go on about how they never sell out but they already have...
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
Quote by aaron6890
sell out, we me oh yeah, sell out, with me tonight, record companies gonna give us lots of money and every things gonna be all right.

Don't sign that paper tonight.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Thank you for this information, TS. I can now leave this thread as a new man. Look out world, here I come!
Quote by aaron6890
sell out, with me oh yeah, sell out, with me tonight, record companies gonna give us lots of money and every things gonna be all right.

Reel Big Fish, Sell out,

BUT.. thats not REALLY selling out...selling out is like changing who YOU the band is to get big or whatever, like changing there name, or image, or even style of music,
what you said is just business..
Quote by Zugunruhe
"sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will violate me sexually."
It all depends on how you define selling out.

If I were a talented musician with a bit of an underground following in my town and a record company said they liked me and would like to present my music to a greater audience, but I get full control over everything including what songs go on the albums, how they are produced, which are released as singles, even what album art is used, I would be fine with that. That is not selling out, that is intellegent.

If the company said they would give me money but they would have control over the aforementioned things, that would be selling out in my opinion.
there is a difference between selling and selling out

Selling- making music that you want and sell it
Selling out- making music that you know will sell to get money

there is a difference and not all bands make music that they don't want to just for the money.
Raise Your Hand If you Like:

3 inches of blood
Amon Amarth
Coheed and Cambria
Death Cab For Cutie
Every Time I Die
I Killed the Prom Queen
In Flames
Pride Tiger

My cousins band from Vancouver-NWOBCHM- myspace.com/scarstruckmetalband
jhardcore, well said. hopefully we can all strive for that entirely as a musical community, alas if you want money to make a record/demo/EP then you've taken a step to sell out your music for some form of profit. unless you donate your money to a music charity or any other charity for that matter then it can be said that this band is playing music (not selling out) and making smart choices
My Gear:
epiphone les paul cusom, Limited edition. evo dimarzio pick ups
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
A sell out is someone who doesnt care about the music at all, they just want money. A band who wants to be able to play music around the world for fans, so they sell a couple of tshirts or sign a record deal to get their music out and have enough money to live is not a sellout.

The truth hurts, but denial is what kills you.

Member #2 of the Fight Club Clan.
PM AndrewSchaeffer to join.
one of the biggest bands that Apparently "sold out" would be kiss or green day but, from what the other people here have mentioned is that bands that do what they can for the money would be considered as a band that sold out. but what if they had control of their music this entire time and wanted to explore different areas and genres of music, is that considered selling out? better yet, if you can make a shirt with your bands name on it can you make womens thongs with your bands name on it? or what about even hosting your own concert but naming it after your band and adding -fest to it afterwards? is there or is there no line for selling out? can you sell out a lil' bit and be ok? or what?
My Gear:
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
So, you're saying anyone who doesn't play acoustic guitar is a sell-out? WOW, you just lost all credibility with me man.....
you need funding to keep your band alive. t-shirts, badges and stickers or whatever, are fine - most bands pay for the printing themselves anyway.

selling out is giving up your integrity, or your original goal to shift your direction to the mainstream for the sake of a bit more cash.
Quote by Hart_Attack
one of the biggest bands that Apparently "sold out" would be kiss or green day but, from what the other people here have mentioned is that bands that do what they can for the money would be considered as a band that sold out. but what if they had control of their music this entire time and wanted to explore different areas and genres of music, is that considered selling out? better yet, if you can make a shirt with your bands name on it can you make womens thongs with your bands name on it? or what about even hosting your own concert but naming it after your band and adding -fest to it afterwards? is there or is there no line for selling out? can you sell out a lil' bit and be ok? or what?

#1.no it'd be experimenting with different sounds, wouldn't be selling out,
#2 yes its still not selling out.. its adding something new out there to reach a new group of people to buy merch, i mean they make mens and womens t-shirts,
#3.no thats not selling out,
#4. yes there is a line..
and #5. as long as you dont COMPLETELY 100%sell out.. your still ok.
Quote by Zugunruhe
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
So, you're saying anyone who doesn't play acoustic guitar is a sell-out? WOW, you just lost all credibility with me man.....

hey kid maybe you should have paid more attention in english class because your reading this all wrong, and think about it, and i mean really burn some brain cells on this idea. can you really play with an electric guitar with a close an intimate audience like an open mic night or do you bring your les paul with the new jvm 100 watt head with matching cabnit to play some cover or one of your original songs, even if you bring a slightly smaller amp combo with alot less watts its just a waste. its what you call an overkill when you can bring an acoustic and your voice. unless you play at a club or diner or restuarant and keep people who drink or eat entertained while you play music then thats fine, even though you sold out to a place where you'll get PAID!! for playing your music to people, unless you do it for free then thats fine. k? k.
My Gear:
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
Quote by pogo the clown
#1.no it'd be experimenting with different sounds, wouldn't be selling out,
#2 yes its still not selling out.. its adding something new out there to reach a new group of people to buy merch, i mean they make mens and womens t-shirts,
#3.no thats not selling out,
#4. yes there is a line..
and #5. as long as you dont COMPLETELY 100%sell out.. your still ok.

then why are bands like led zep, kiss(more specifically gene simmons), or even panic at the disco! called sell outs?

think about it.
My Gear:
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
Quote by Hart_Attack
hey kid maybe you should have paid more attention in english class because your reading this all wrong, and think about it, and i mean really burn some brain cells on this idea. can you really play with an electric guitar with a close an intimate audience like an open mic night or do you bring your les paul with the new jvm 100 watt head with matching cabnit to play some cover or one of your original songs, even if you bring a slightly smaller amp combo with alot less watts its just a waste. its what you call an overkill when you can bring an acoustic and your voice. unless you play at a club or diner or restuarant and keep people who drink or eat entertained while you play music then thats fine, even though you sold out to a place where you'll get PAID!! for playing your music to people, unless you do it for free then thats fine. k? k.

Yea, cause it's impossible to play the electric guitar solo (or god-forbid, the bass, or any other instrument for that matter) at low volumes.... Or, for example, I suppose you can't have a 4 piece band play quiet songs? You've clearly never been to a jazz club. Or a restaurant where there are 2-4 classical musicians playing quiet music. Or a blues club with quiet/medium volume music in the background.

Not EVERY band in the world plays loud music that would blow people's eardrums out at an intimate gig. And even at a small venue, you can get into a full-swing chorus or whatever, you just have the volume down so that it goes from background music to being semi-intrusive music, just to consider possibilities.

Seriously dude, you saying that only acoustic guitar players can play at small venues is unbelievably ignorant and stupid. Shame on you.
Last edited by AVA_Plus44_182 at Jun 9, 2008,
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
Yea, cause it's impossible to play the electric guitar solo (or god-forbid, the bass, or any other instrument for that matter) at low volumes.... Or, for example, I suppose you can't have a 4 piece band play quiet songs? You've clearly never been to a jazz club. Or a restaurant where there are 2-4 classical musicians playing quiet music. Or a blues club with quiet/medium volume music in the background.

Not EVERY band in the world plays loud music that would blow people's eardrums out at an intimate gig. And even at a small venue, you can get into a full-swing chorus or whatever, you just have the volume down so that it goes from background music to being semi-intrusive music, just to consider possibilities.

Seriously dude, you saying that only acoustic guitar players can play at small venues is unbelievably ignorant and stupid. Shame on you.

no sir shame on you and your tiny mind thats missing the bigger picture, this thread is about selling out, the bands that play there are bands that are playing to be paid for the music that they've provided to the audience. and for your knowledge i have been to jazz clubs many of them sadly though no blues clubs here in california around the bay area but i have been to a club. but everytime i talk to the musicians and congratulate them for blowing my mind with amazing music that is very well structured and has exceedly amazing yet simple melodies they tell me that they play to play, which i believe they do, until they go to the back and accept the money that i had previously thought would not and even be insulted to be offered the money. instead of just saying no or giving the money out by buying drinks for the fans they just stuff it in there pocket and walk out slightly richer.

do you see the point? its not primarily about how loud the music is, its why they accept money for doing something you love and need no payment for. the whole jvm and guitar thang was a flash of wealth infront of an audience kind of thing.

oh and i've heard amazing bass solos played alone or with another bass player look at jaco pasto-blagh-blah
My Gear:
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
selling out too me is more like changing your own sound to appeal to a mainstream audience in an attempt to make money. if bands want to make money from music then thats great, go for it, its not selling out at all...but when it comes to a point where a band want to compromise their sound and image PURELY for MONEY, thats a big no no.
Last edited by TheHereAway at Jun 9, 2008,
Quote by Hart_Attack
no sir shame on you and your tiny mind thats missing the bigger picture, this thread is about selling out, the bands that play there are bands that are playing to be paid for the music that they've provided to the audience. and for your knowledge i have been to jazz clubs many of them sadly though no blues clubs here in california around the bay area but i have been to a club. but everytime i talk to the musicians and congratulate them for blowing my mind with amazing music that is very well structured and has exceedly amazing yet simple melodies they tell me that they play to play, which i believe they do, until they go to the back and accept the money that i had previously thought would not and even be insulted to be offered the money. instead of just saying no or giving the money out by buying drinks for the fans they just stuff it in there pocket and walk out slightly richer.

do you see the point? its not primarily about how loud the music is, its why they accept money for doing something you love and need no payment for. the whole jvm and guitar thang was a flash of wealth infront of an audience kind of thing.

oh and i've heard amazing bass solos played alone or with another bass player look at jaco pasto-blagh-blah

Well, taking money helps you buy more equipment so you can continue to make music. Why is that bad? Some people enjoying making a career out of what they love to do.
I couldn't care less if I was labeled a sell-out. I'd be making money doing what I love. I am perfectly fine with viewing music as a career. It'd be a fine career to have. You can blow me if you think I'd feel guilty by being a sell-out.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by TheHereAway
selling out too me is more like changing your own sound to appeal to a mainstream audience in an attempt to make money. if bands want to make money from music then thats great, go for it, its not selling out at all...but when it comes to a point where a band want to compromise their sound and image PURELY for money, thats a big no no.

exactly... what TS is FAILING to see is he CLAIMS selling out is getting paid AT ALL..
when being a musician in a band is an ACTUAL JOB! sort of..
Quote by Zugunruhe
Quote by Hart_Attack
hey kid maybe you should have paid more attention in english class because your reading this all wrong

Obviously, you couldn't have gotten good marks in English class either as you can not manage to write out a coherent, clear, and concise thesis and position of your thoughts. In other words, we can't make sense of your scattered and blind rant.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by InvaderTSN
Well, taking money helps you buy more equipment so you can continue to make music. Why is that bad? Some people enjoying making a career out of what they love to do.

true, but if they have the equipment to play then and there then they don't really need it now do they? now if people enjoy accepting money for what they love to do then I'd be a the most happiest man alive. but once again what about bands that are being called sold outs, they enjoy playing music obviously because they continue to play it, why is there a double-standard for us and not them?
My Gear:
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Obviously, you couldn't have gotten good marks in English class either as you can not manage to write out a coherent, clear, and concise thesis and position of your thoughts. In other words, we can't make sense of your scattered and blind rant.

sir stick to the thread, insults like that will just get you checked. unless you can add to the conversation that has been started here in this thread then don't bother commenting
My Gear:
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
Quote by Hart_Attack
sir stick to the thread, insults like that will just get you checked. unless you can add to the conversation that has been started here in this thread then don't bother commenting

I am sticking to the thread. I just have no clear understanding of what the hell you are talking about because you are so incoherent. And how is it that I'm getting checked by telling you to brush up on your English yet you should get away with it when you told the other guy that?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by TheHereAway
selling out too me is more like changing your own sound to appeal to a mainstream audience in an attempt to make money. if bands want to make money from music then thats great, go for it, its not selling out at all...but when it comes to a point where a band want to compromise their sound and image PURELY for MONEY, thats a big no no.

this man speaks the truth where the TS speaks fail
you'd deserve a piece of cake but the cake is a lie
have a cookie instead
Dick+strings= owww
Quote by Hart_Attack

Look mate, we ALL have bills to pay, and we ALL have to find a way to get enough money to pay those bills. Some people (like myself) have a non-musical job that they use to earn money, but many musicians don't/can't get non-musical jobs, which is totally their prerogative. Those that don't have no other means of earning money, so they have to use their music to pay the bills because they simply have no other way of doing so, for whatever reason.

There are many musicians that take that theory too far, and continue to charge large amounts of money even after they've become capable to comfortably support their lifestyle. I have nothing against people making more money off their music than is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, because it's a great thing to be able to live comfortably and not have to worry about not being able to afford food on any given day.

That said, there are many people who can easily live a very comfortable lifestyle, and afford many luxuries, but continue to make tons of money off their music. Now, while it would be fantastic if they used that extra money to help other musicians (or any other people for that matter) get by and develop, the thing you have to realise is IT'S UP TO THEM TO DECIDE. Once someone has gotten to that level of the profession, it becomes their choice what to do with their extra wealth. Some people keep it and make themselves even more happy with it, others give it to other people and help them instead.

The point is, when it comes to what people should and shouldn't do, it's totally up to them. It's their choice because they earned that wealth in the first place. They might have not earned it in the most fair way, but you know what? Life is ANYTHING but fair. All anyone can do is hope that they have a good heart and do with their money what is slightly more moral and slightly more right, and help other people. You can argue until you're blue in the face but ultimately it's their money and no one can tell them what to do with it.

But as far as people playing music to earn money goes, well, I'll put it this way. Get yourself into a position of total bankruptcy, where you have no food, no home, no possessions, no one to support you, and no means to get yourself a good job, then tell me money is irrelevant. Money is a sad truth of life because like it or not, we all need it to survive. Some of us happen to be able to use our greatest joys and hobbies as a means to not have to do something else we like less to earn a living.

And I find it amusing that someone that certainly can't paragraph properly, or use punctuation correctly and consistently, is telling me I should have "paid more attention in English classes." Idiocy is a fact of life, but in this situation I draw the line at being a hypocrite.
Last edited by AVA_Plus44_182 at Jun 9, 2008,
Everyone has a different idea of selling out. The way I see it is if you want to make money with your talent you have to be able to

A. Be a talented musician
B. Present an image the public will buy into ( Marketing )
C. Put on an EVENT not just a "gig"
D. Understand that it is the music BUSINESS and you have to learn to wheel and deal with everyone you encounter.

Selling out is changing yourself solely for the money , which is a complete failure of D. You have to keep your artist integrity as well and be able to make cash.
Quote by rasveer
this man speaks the truth where the TS speaks fail
you'd deserve a piece of cake but the cake is a lie
have a cookie instead

i thoroughly enjoyed my cookie thanks
Come in here dear boy, have a cigar, you're gonna go far.
Fly high, you're never gonna die, they're gonna love you.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
i'll give you a quick answer, the commenter had replied to me that only acoustic players are not sell outs, when i, in the thread had wrote that open mic night at lets say an expresso shop an ideal way is to play with an acoustic and vocals. do you see the problem? how many RELATED questions about this thread do you have?
My Gear:
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
Quote by jhardcore
It all depends on how you define selling out.

If I were a talented musician with a bit of an underground following in my town and a record company said they liked me and would like to present my music to a greater audience, but I get full control over everything including what songs go on the albums, how they are produced, which are released as singles, even what album art is used, I would be fine with that. That is not selling out, that is intellegent.

If the company said they would give me money but they would have control over the aforementioned things, that would be selling out in my opinion.

This man is correct.

Also, Strike Anywhere FTW.
kill all humans
Quote by TheHereAway
i thoroughly enjoyed my cookie thanks

mhmm
i like how ts totally skips what you said and ignores it
Dick+strings= owww
AVA_PLUS, you i understand. very well made i have not arguement to that if any that would be me making the same speech to others. once again though, why are there bands such as kiss, metallica, greenday, etc. etc. called sell-outs? its this universal idea that this is a sell out.

you clearly understand that in reality there is no such thing as selling out. but others in this WORLD do believe in the term sell-out, how do you relate to them but to call them sell-outs and make them see some error in their ways.

cheers good sir, cheers.
My Gear:
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
Page 1 of 2