I am considering of getting an amp, (most likely solid state) but I am not sure what to do. There are some amps that have the usual tone, OD channel, volume, trebble, mid, and bass setup. Now there are others that have those same exact setting plus, presets, and flanger effects, reverb, and other effects. The question is is it really worth it to have all those effects? Am I really going to need those, I do not want to pay for effects that I'm never going to use. What are some effects that are rarely used, but companies put them in their amps, even though they know that they are rarely used? Since this is my 1st real amp, (I used to have a cheap lyon amp that came in a guitar starter pack) I do not want to waste my $$$

I am debating between these two amps

Roland Cube 15X

Roland MicroCube

See how the microcube has more effects? I checked out the youtube review, yeah they sound pretty cool, but I think the only useful effect was reverb and phaser... just maybe... Oh yeah and the Cube is 15 watts, not 2 watts compared to the micro.
Last edited by cad2blender at Jun 9, 2008,
Well, if you want a amp really worth it. I would advise you buying one with a lot of EQ options and buy effect pedals with it.. because then you can switch form clean to the efect you prefer while playing which is much veasier when playing live. Imagin your waling back to your amp to put on the distortion that would look hilarious
roland cube really does pwn.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens~jimi hendrix

My Gear:
ESP kH-202
Crate FXT 120
yamaha 500(keyboard)
1967 fenderbandmaster halfstack
schecter c1 hollow body
Pedals:
original crybaby wah
flutter pedal
boss mt-2
Yeah, if you are just planing on having a practice amp, then just get the 15 watt roland. On the old Line 6 Spider 2 I used to have, i never even touched the effects. But, that's just me. Other people may advise you differently.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Make sure it has reverb. Anything else might go unused, as you cannot vary the effect as much as you can with effect units.

But if you can get an amp with effects for no/ little extra charge, go for it. My Fender practice amp has the reverb/delay/chorus/flanger/tremolo knob, and I find myself using once in a while.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
ok here is a fender amp, but people say that it is not as good as the cube... what to choose... the cube as presets, no reverb, fender has reverb yet no presets and no power squeezer. I kinda like power squeezer since I play in a dorm, where it has to be quiet.Fender Amp maybe I can buy a reverb pedal later there not that expensive are they?
Last edited by cad2blender at Jun 9, 2008,
The frontman isn't that great. I think a decent reverb will run at least 70 bucks. You can get a danelectro one for 30 bucks, though.

But for about 150, you can get a Vox AD15VT. I personally think it's better than the cube.

Another option is the DA5. It's 5 watts, and has a half and 1/10 power switch as well. All the effects on it are very good, save one.
The Microcube is pretty much the perfect bedroom amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I have the microcube.. you say this is your first real amp.. I wouldn't call it a real amp.. but it's great for practice.. decent amp models.. I kinda' like the reverb, gives it a better sound so that's the only reason I'd pick the micro over the other.. as for the tremolo, chorus, flanger, and phaser... I hardly ever use those since they aren't too tweakable.. maybe a little chorus here and there but that's the most I'd ever use.. can't make phaser short enough and such.. the delay's alright too but not much tweaking able to be done to it..

also with the microcube you don't get an equalizer.. just a tone knob.
hey with the reverb I feel like you get a bit more sustain is this true? Or are my ears just shot?
Quote by cad2blender
hey with the reverb I feel like you get a bit more sustain is this true? Or are my ears just shot?

Not more sustain, you just get a more roomy sound.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by imgooley
The frontman isn't that great. I think a decent reverb will run at least 70 bucks. You can get a danelectro one for 30 bucks, though.

But for about 150, you can get a Vox AD15VT. I personally think it's better than the cube.

Another option is the DA5. It's 5 watts, and has a half and 1/10 power switch as well. All the effects on it are very good, save one.

I support this motion
Quote by cad2blender
yeah this is only a bedroom amp, practice, I will never gig anyways.

I just don't see how you can enjoy something like guitar if you don't plan to gig with it.

But the cube series is pretty awesome.
I got some good guitars, yo.
Quote by steven seagull
The Microcube is pretty much the perfect bedroom amp.

yeah, don't go with the 15x. the Microcube offers more, but at lesser volumes, which would be perfect for you. you dont know how loud that little thing can get.

get the Microcube, you won't regret it.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.