I've never in my life heard a better sounding SG - I'm enamoured with this tone. Besides that he also has chops that even today will turn the most seasoned shredders into shivering crying masses of humanity.

The tonal goodness starts at 2:15, and he switches to the neck humbucker at about 3:41 for.. possibly the most disgusting lick I've ever heard.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=cxWWOs5Y2Cg

I can't see what amp he has in the background there, I know the guitarist that came after him also used an SG custom through Hiwatts and got a slightly more biting version of the same sound. Out of my gear I can get a similar sound but without quite the attack or sustain he seems to command.
That reminds me alot of Thanatopsis.
I wish Gibson would make attractive and playable instruments, that is really wonderful sounding.
Also, he probably plays Marshall. Everyone plays Marshall.
May I suggest the MG series..
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
So, when you say "disgusting", do you mean good or bad?

Context clues, mah boiiii.
One could easily assume he meant good, and I can honestly agree.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

Quote by NorfIrIon
That reminds me alot of Thanatopsis.
I wish Gibson would make attractive and playable instruments, that is really wonderful sounding.
Also, he probably plays Marshall. Everyone plays Marshall.
May I suggest the MG series..

I've heard from MANY people on here that Marshall amps are over-priced and a bit overrated too. I've also heard from just as many people that the MG amps aren't that good for the price-range that they're in, and that for the money you pay for an MG, you're better off getting something else regardless of what you play or what styles you're into. But that's what I've HEARD, not what I've EXPERIENCED, so for the love of f*ck don't kill me.
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
So, when you say "disgusting", do you mean good or bad?

Haha, I mean very good. Its amazing really, what some of these guys were doing in the 60s and 70s.

So I'm thinking perhaps getting an amp like an AC15(the new handwired ones sound tasty..), or perhaps even a Fender Deluxe reverb so I can have a mostly clean, on the edge of breakup, sparkly tone, then adding an overdrive pedal of some sort above it to add to the sustain and overdrive required for it.
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
I've heard from MANY people on here that Marshall amps are over-priced and a bit overrated too. I've also heard from just as many people that the MG amps aren't that good for the price-range that they're in, and that for the money you pay for an MG, you're better off getting something else regardless of what you play or what styles you're into. But that's what I've HEARD, not what I've EXPERIENCED, so for the love of f*ck don't kill me.

Oh, that was a joke. They really are horrible amps, and that's pretty much common knowledge, which is what makes it a joke.

Dude thats Allan Holdsworth, just google his rig setup or something, there has to be some reference to what he used back than.
Teh Gear:
Squier Affinity Fat Strat
Digitech RP-350
Roland PA-250
Old custom made 1x12" cab x2

No. 1 Digitech RP-350 recommender

Linux users UNITE ! ! !

I WANT THIS ! ! !
In that case, according to what I could find on my beloved internets, he uses Yamaha amps, of all things.
I can't imagine a worse amplifying system, truly. I've never heard anything good from Yamaha.

Quote by BoogieManMKD
Dude thats Allan Holdsworth, just google his rig setup or something, there has to be some reference to what he used back than.

I know it's Holdsworth (that man hasn't aged in the past 30 years, I saw him a little while ago and he hasn't changed at all...), but all the info I can find on him is his current gear, and while his playing is still jaw dropping, his current tone .. not so much.
Quote by NorfIrIon
Oh, that was a joke. They really are horrible amps, and that's pretty much common knowledge, which is what makes it a joke.

Yea, thought so. I've heard MG amps and I must say I wasn't particularly impressed, even for a practice amp....
Quote by TimmyPage06
I know it's Holdsworth (that man hasn't aged in the past 30 years, I saw him a little while ago and he hasn't changed at all...), but all the info I can find on him is his current gear, and while his playing is still jaw dropping, his current tone .. not so much.

I think I'm the opposite of you, I like the tone in this video and I don't like it in the first, but I love the SG, this weirdo guitar... not so much.
Teh Gear:
Squier Affinity Fat Strat
Digitech RP-350
Roland PA-250
Old custom made 1x12" cab x2

No. 1 Digitech RP-350 recommender

Linux users UNITE ! ! !

I WANT THIS ! ! !
Well I happened to stumble on an old resource that said he used Vox Ac30s back in that era (as my ears thought..). However, I know I won't always have the ability to turn it up that much, so does anyone know of an overdrive pedal that would boost a small tube combo for a similar tone like that? It wouldn't really even need to be high gain.