I have a few questions for you. I tried to find answers in other threads, but I had no luck.

I'm interested in getting an Ibanez RGT42DXFM. It comes with the Ibanez Edge III Tremolo, but I haven't had good experiences with them or their older Edge II counterparts. First and foremost, what do you guys think about them?

My second and certainly more pertinent question is a little more complicated. Are the Original Floyd Rose trems/ Licensed FR trems drop-in replacements for the Edge III routing? Sorry to be lazy, but if anyone has prior experience with attempting to replace the Edge with an OFR/LFR trem, it would save me a great deal of time.

In the event that it did work as a drop-in, and I'm sure there are many different opinions on this, would the OFR/LFR trem be a significant improvement over the Edge? I suspect so out of (bad) experience with the Edge, but I've not had a chance to fiddle with the OFR/LFR trems before.

In the event that the routing would not accommodate an OFR/LFR trem, are there any opinions regarding the Ibanez ZR? I figure it's a drop-in, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to try out. If anyone likes/dislikes it, I'd love to hear about it.

I hope this is the right place to ask. I'd be paying for good body/neck construction, but I really want to swap out the trem and pickups to customize it into a much better axe.

On a completely separate note: Has anyone had any luck retrofitting a Fender LSR nut onto a Strat with a standard nut?
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Be warned- i swapped out the edge11 on my ibanez for a OFR, because it wasn't holding tune very well. The OFR had the same problem, until i had the guitar looked at professionally. It turned out that it wasn't the bridges that were not holding tune, it was the loose neck. Check your neck to see if it creaks.
Quote by raysoh8
Be warned- i swapped out the edge11 on my ibanez for a OFR, because it wasn't holding tune very well. The OFR had the same problem, until i had the guitar looked at professionally. It turned out that it wasn't the bridges that were not holding tune, it was the loose neck. Check your neck to see if it creaks.

Interesting. I'm not sure, to tell you the truth, why exactly I'm having so much trouble keeping the Edge in tune. I work at a music store and we regularly stock the RG350DX, which comes with the Edge III. I've spent hours tweaking it, changed the strings, and done everything I can think of, but I can't get it to keep tune for more than a day or two at a time. I haven't noticed any neck problems, but goodness knows if I'd be all that surprised based on some of the condition some of them arrive in (UPS + Guitars = Bad).
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer