I am currently working on the debate speech for my English class. The topic of debate is "Freedom is a Myth" I need to find the right word to describe the following "It's not a rule and it's not a law, but it's like a rule in society" Right now I the only thing that comes in my mind is the "Social Contract" I am not entirely sure if that is a right word (Since I do not have total understanding of what it means.) So I am asking for you help....
Unwritten law?

I think that's also a band too.

EDIT: I just re-read your post, and figured out how stupid my post sounds coming after yours. Just ignore me...
Humans are condemned to be free, for in order to have a good life one must be able to make their own conscious decisions that may affect their lives in a positive or negative way.

So humans will inevitably have freedom, or are "condemned" to be free...

Any more info on your subject? Freedom of what exactly?
Social contract is wrong. That's different. Social rule, social law, unwritten law, unwritten rule, unspoken ". I guess any of those would work, but I don't think there's really a perfect word for this. I just had a prompt on social rules in English, with a passage by Xavier Postes, that didn't use any more intelligent language than that.
Quote by Brown925
Humans are condemned to be free, for in order to have a good life one must be able to make their own conscious decisions that may affect their lives in a positive or negative way.

So humans will inevitably have freedom, or are "condemned" to be free...

Any more info on your subject? Freedom of what exactly?

Freedom in general.

"Unspoken rule" "Socially acceptable" "Unwritten law" Those are really good ones ! Thanks Guys !

Here is my speech so far. If anyone is interested.

There are a lot of things in Society that clearly show the non-existence of Freedom. Our team would like to use one member of this audience as an example to show how the law noticeably restricts us from doing certain things in our lives. Jamison Benefield has told our team about his deep contempt towards another member of this school. He had told us that the only thing that stops him from “Expressing” his “feelings” is the law. So what is the Law? Is it just a rule of conduct? Is it a system that was created to prevent Anarchy from breaking out? Or is it something that evidently annihilating our freedom? Throughout the existence of Society laws were always restricting us from doing things we want. Even at this very moment were can feel the presence of the law. We are all here because of the law. How many of you would come to school on a cold winter morning just to hear teacher rambling on about boring stuff? I presume not many of you. Well, According to the Section 25 Education Act of 1989 “You must go to school and remain at school for the full school day from your 6th birthday and until your 16th birthday” The consequences of not attending school on regular basis according to section 29 Education Act of 1989 is “fine of $15 for every school day for which the offence has occurred” Which actually have to be paid by your parents. There are also rules within our school. The main rule that our team would like to emphasize is the “Necessity of all students to wear the uniform during the school hours” Freedom of expression is our basic right that was given to your from the day we were born. And being in the environment that obliges you to wear uniform clearly restricts our freedom. But this is not all. To further show how our freedom is being demolished I would like call audience’s attention to the Freedom of Expression which is the Article number 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. “Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.” This doesn’t seem to be the case for homosexuals. The law clearly states their right to express their sexuality and yet they cannot speak openly about their sexual orientation. This is mainly because people might want to harm them, they can lose their jobs or Christians might try to make their life harder. So if this article is correct why the homosexual people are are being oppressed? Is it not socially acceptable to express yourself? Is it some kind of an “Unwritten Law” within society?
So if we have all of those rights, then why do the rules and laws confine our freedom?

There are a lot of mistakes in it which I am going to correct soon.
Last edited by Sky1er at Jun 9, 2008,
Why dont you say freedom is wool being pulled over our eyes but i remind you wool is not sharp. No-one truly has freedom but beleiving that we do will shut people up
norms? That's all I got. Ah or maybe I'm thinking of 'mores' as skeptopotamus stated.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
Quote by Sky1er
Freedom in general.

"Unspoken rule" "Socially acceptable" "Unwritten law" Those are really good ones ! Thanks Guys !

Here is my speech so far. If anyone is interested.

There are a lot of things in Society that clearly show the non-existence of Freedom. Our team would like to use one member of this audience as an example to show how the law noticeably restricts us from doing certain things in our lives. Jamison Benefield has told our team about his deep contempt towards another member of this school. He had told us that the only thing that stops him from “Expressing” his “feelings” is the law. So what is the Law? Is it just a rule of conduct? Is it a system that was created to prevent Anarchy from breaking out? Or is it something that evidently annihilating our freedom? Throughout the existence of Society laws were always restricting us from doing things we want. Even at this very moment were can feel the presence of the law. We are all here because of the law. How many of you would come to school on a cold winter morning just to hear teacher rambling on about boring stuff? I presume not many of you. Well, According to the Section 25 Education Act of 1989 “You must go to school and remain at school for the full school day from your 6th birthday and until your 16th birthday” The consequences of not attending school on regular basis according to section 29 Education Act of 1989 is “fine of $15 for every school day for which the offence has occurred” Which actually have to be paid by your parents. There are also rules within our school. The main rule that our team would like to emphasize is the “Necessity of all students to wear the uniform during the school hours” Freedom of expression is our basic right that was given to your from the day we were born. And being in the environment that obliges you to wear uniform clearly restricts our freedom. But this is not all. To further show how our freedom is being demolished I would like call audience’s attention to the Freedom of Expression which is the Article number 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. “Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.” This doesn’t seem to be the case for homosexuals. The law clearly states their right to express their sexuality and yet they cannot speak openly about their sexual orientation. This is mainly because people might want to harm them, they can lose their jobs or Christians might try to make their life harder. So if this article is correct why the homosexual people are are being oppressed? Is it not socially acceptable to express yourself? Is it some kind of an “Unwritten Law” within society?
So if we have all of those rights, then why do the rules and laws confine our freedom?

There are a lot of mistakes in it which I am going to correct soon.

Counter arguments you should be ready to diffuse (referring to bold).

No one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to go to a private school. If the private school (which is not funded by the government) wants you to wear uniforms, that is their choice. The law only applies to public school/society.

Moving along...

Are you saying it is against the law to talk about your sexuality, or is it avoided due to personal safety (ie christian mob etc.)

If its the latter, then that is not a restriction of freedom. That's just gay people choosing not to talk about their sexuality based off of fear.
Quote by Brown925
Counter arguments you should be ready to diffuse (referring to bold).

No one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to go to a private school. If the private school (which is not funded by the government) wants you to wear uniforms, that is their choice. The law only applies to public school/society.

Moving along...

Are you saying it is against the law to talk about your sexuality, or is it avoided due to personal safety (ie christian mob etc.)

If its the latter, then that is not a restriction of freedom. That's just gay people choosing not to talk about their sexuality based off of fear.

I am not in a private school, I go to public school (Unfortunately) So we do have to wear uniforms.

Homosexuals tend not to say they are gay to feel safe from opressions of other people, although there are gay pride parades, they only been done when there is a lot of people which ensures safety of homosexuals.
Quote by Sky1er
I am not in a private school, I go to public school (Unfortunately) So we do have to wear uniforms.

Homosexuals tend not to say they are gay to feel safe from opressions of other people, although there are gay pride parades, they only been done when there is a lot of people which ensures safety of homosexuals.

Where do you live?

While what you are saying is true, the freedom is there. They are not taking it. How did black people rise and overcome lynch mobs/civil rights/etc?
Quote by Brown925
Where do you live?

While what you are saying is true, the freedom is there. They are not taking it. How did black people rise and overcome lynch mobs/civil rights/etc?

I live in New Zealand.

Black people have done a lot of peaceful protests to overcome the difficulties they were facing. But yet in the beginning they did not have it. They were enslaved. And to this day there are still people who are slaves.
the right word i believe is penis.

i can't believe nobody has taken advantage of this yet. the pit must have calmed down.
Quote by Sky1er
I live in New Zealand.

Black people have done a lot of peaceful protests to overcome the difficulties they were facing. But yet in the beginning they did not have it. They were enslaved. And to this day there are still people who are slaves.

Ah I assumed you were American by default.

Anyhow, you still have not disproved my claim that homosexuals have freedom. While it is safer for them to keep quiet, there is nothing preventing them from speaking out. So they are denying themselves from their own freedom (probably for the right reason, still, it is their own decision).
Quote by Brown925
Ah I assumed you were American by default.

Anyhow, you still have not disproved my claim that homosexuals have freedom. While it is safer for them to keep quiet, there is nothing preventing them from speaking out. So they are denying themselves from their own freedom (probably for the right reason, still, it is their own decision).

I can't think of anything to say right now, but the gays do have freedom it's just been supressed so much that they might as well not have it...

In my debates which are tomorrow, I go against team with 2 black girls who as it apears to me have done very little and wining against them would be really easy.