Ok i played all three of there guitars at one time two three epi's from the masterbilt series, a GAD OM guild and a martin custom D(actually an MMV but its the same only with a gloss finish).
After playing with all for atleast 3 hours each i got to say im stuned with my delibaration witch probly dosent mean much since ive only been playing for a year acoustic now.
Out of the three epi's that i played the EF-500R was the best the AJ and DR where alright but nothing to wright home about, it was a really well balanced intrument and you really cant complain with the price. It was set up perfect and no problems with the action. great for strumming and flies by on the picking area alright, was more than id expect from a Chinese-made guitar.

The guild was alright it excelled in the fingerpicking area but other than that nothing the EF-500 couldnt handle and then sum, i didnt really injoy struming on it, tough it sounded very pleasant more so than the EF when picking.

The martin Custom D witch uses the same bracing as a 15 but with a Spruce top and rosewood back in sides was a real pleasure to play, it sounded very nice and chunky, was great for struming, its not really comparable with the higer ends really it sounds nothing like them its an instrument of its own and shouldnt be compared, a litle muddy tough. the low end is great ones you play a lo note youll just go wow .its got plenty of volume, but it can be quite when you want her to be.

I gatta say I was surprised with the Epi the. The martin was good for stuming but mediocre when it came to picking and vice versa with the GAD. But the epi not only did fairly descent in one area and bad in another, it did a great, not good or descent, great job on both, and it really surprised me cause come on its an Epiphone who would expect an acoustic guitar to even compet with the other two, let alone beat them out IMO. Like i said before the reason i think the Epi beat out the other two is because well it just does a really good job in both areas, whereas the other two do great in one and not so good in the other. If i had a chance to take back my martin in for the epi hell i think i would but seing as 30 days have pased 2 months ago i guese i cant.

Witch do you guys prefer.
Last edited by the-kid44P at Jun 9, 2008,
first, i deleted several posts from this thread... so if you don't know what i'm talking about then don't worry about it

[rant]
ok everyone... stop being childish. nitpicking and looking for things that might be offensive is just as bad as being offensive. if you really want to be offended, you will be. that shit drives me crazy. i'm not going to get offended if you call me a cracker or call a martin a cracker guitar. is the term "cracker" offensive? some might say so. does it offend me? no. why? because i don't give a fuck and neither should anyone else. if people would quit TRYING to be offended, it would go a long way towards civility.

if anyone has a problem with that you can PM me and we'll discuss it or you can go whine about it somewhere else.
[/rant]

and now this thread is about epiphone, martin, and guild and nothing else. don't post anything unless it is relevant to the topic.
Obviously, it only really matters what you prefer.
I have the AJ500R and prefer it to the EF and DR.
I have to say that I prefer the Martin over the Epi, but when it comes down to price, I'll take the Epi. The Martin is not that much better, and it costs twice as much.
I actually think that the Epi sounds more like a Martin D-35, but I prefer the D-28 sound.
thanks jimtaka .. now this is a great thread .. im chinese .. so anyways .. i love the dr-500r .. i had an aj in my possession but exchanged it for the dr because im more comfortable playing a dreadnought .. but all the epis are great
Quote by Jerome G
Obviously, it only really matters what you prefer.
I have the AJ500R and prefer it to the EF and DR.
I have to say that I prefer the Martin over the Epi, but when it comes down to price, I'll take the Epi. The Martin is not that much better, and it costs twice as much.
I actually think that the Epi sounds more like a Martin D-35, but I prefer the D-28 sound.

Yah seriesly man i was about to say the same thing when i got of, i tought that the EF's have that martin sound rather than Gibson, and i say it sounds like not is, it actually does a bettor job than the custom-D in comparison with a 35, the custom D sounds nothing like the higer ends. its got its own sound but its not the same, if anyone asked me whats a good guitar to get that martin sound id point to the Epi EF
rather than a 15, the 15's are good but youd do bettor with a 16 or the EF to get that martin sound. of course many may disagree, but cool whatever if everyone was the same thered only be one guitar on the wall, good thing were all diffrent.
Last edited by the-kid44P at Jun 9, 2008,
The EF masterbilt has a slightly wider neck as it is made for fingerstyle players. The nut width is only increased from 1.68 inches to 1.75 inches but I found it pretty noticeable and it made using a pick somewhat awkward.

I agree with Jerome... I haven't found a martin in that price range that sounds good enough to merit spending twice the money that the epiphone costs, plus I think the diamond/snowflake inlays and headstock and some other aspects of the masterbilt make it a more unique looking guitar.

A small piece of constructive criticism for you, the-kid44P: you might want to try to clean up your posts a little when posting next time. The organization and grammar in them make them really hard to follow... just some advice to have your posts read by more people here (and on any forum for that matter). Thanks!