It's spelled alnico and ceramic pickups tend to have higher output.
Yeh ceramic magnets tend to give a higher output. Alnico magnets tend to make the pickup warmer and thicker sounding.
Ceramic magnets will tend to be a bit brighter, a bit sharper, and have a higher output.
ceramic magnets don't necessarily mean higher output, it's just that high-output pickups tend to use ceramic magnets due to their characteristics. Ceramic magnets have a sharp attack, tight low end and a naturally flatter tonal response. Alnico 2 has a warm sound with a slow, soft attack and spongy low end, Alnico 5 is somewhere between the 2, quite bright with a tighter low end than 2.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ceramic magnets are made of a sintered composite of powdered iron oxide and barium/strontium carbonate ceramic.

Alnico is an acronym referring to alloys which are composed primarily of aluminium, nickel and cobalt, with the addition of iron, copper, and sometimes titanium, typically 8-12% Al, 15-26% Ni, 5-24% Co, up to 6% Cu, up to 1% Ti, rest is Fe.

There's the difference.
Quote by steven seagull
ceramic magnets don't necessarily mean higher output, it's just that high-output pickups tend to use ceramic magnets due to their characteristics. Ceramic magnets have a sharp attack, tight low end and a naturally flatter tonal response. Alnico 2 has a warm sound with a slow, soft attack and spongy low end, Alnico 5 is somewhere between the 2, quite bright with a tighter low end than 2.

i was hoping someone would say this and clear up the earlier posts.

the straight output of a pickup is based more on the winding than the magnet used.
Does this work the same for speakers and pickups, or is the effect different since one is input and the other is output?
what are some artists that use **1. ceramic** and what are some artists that use ** 2. alnico 5's**?

I want to hear the different myself!

Thanks
Quote by ILoveGuitar07
what are some artists that use **1. ceramic** and what are some artists that use ** 2. alnico 5's**?

I want to hear the different myself!

Thanks

You won't. We are talking about a subtle difference here, there are so many factors that affect the sound of a professionally recorded track that there is no way you could reduce the end result down to the type of magnets used in the guitarist's pickups.
Besides that, different pickups often alter the feel of the instrument's response at least as much as the tone. There's no way that can be conveyed via a soundclip.
alnicos are actually stronger magnets than ceramic, so really, alnicos have "higher output" as a stronger magnet usually leads to increased output.
Quote by Nolly
You won't. We are talking about a subtle difference here, there are so many factors that affect the sound of a professionally recorded track that there is no way you could reduce the end result down to the type of magnets used in the guitarist's pickups.
Besides that, different pickups often alter the feel of the instrument's response at least as much as the tone. There's no way that can be conveyed via a soundclip.

so you're saying the difference between ceramic and alnico 5's are very slight...that I wouldn't even notice?
Last edited by ILoveGuitar07 at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by mr_hankey

Alnico is an acronym referring to alloys which are composed primarily of aluminium, nickel and cobalt, with the addition of iron, copper, and sometimes titanium, typically 8-12% Al, 15-26% Ni, 5-24% Co, up to 6% Cu, up to 1% Ti, rest is Fe.

There's the difference.

woah... i see it!!! Al Ni Co!!!! WTFudgej;akaj;slkj

thats actually really cool, i never knew that.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Go to a guitar store and play some guitars with different pickups. Standard Mex Fender Strats have ceramic magnets in their pickups. The Classic Mex Fender Strats have alinco magnets. Check the specs on other guitars and try them to. You might be able to draw some conclusions about how different pickups sound. Try both clean distorted.
Quote by ILoveGuitar07
so you're saying the difference between ceramic and alnico 5's are very slight...that I wouldn't even notice?

Through all the same gear and the only difference was the magnets? Maybe, but there are so many more important bits in tone shaping (Amp, guitarist). The magnets in the pups are pretty far down there I'd say.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by ILoveGuitar07

I'm talking of listening to recordings here. It's only a slight difference, and you certainly couldn't attribute a sound you hear on a professional recording, which has a pretty much never-ending list of variables, to the pickups used.

Would you notice if you had the magnets changed in your main guitar? Most probably.

Would you be able to tell if someone swapped the magnets in your pickups without you knowing, and you played through an unfamiliar amp? Probably not.
Quote by Nolly
I'm talking of listening to recordings here. It's only a slight difference, and you certainly couldn't attribute a sound you hear on a professional recording, which has a pretty much never-ending list of variables, to the pickups used.

Would you notice if you had the magnets changed in your main guitar? Most probably.

Would you be able to tell if someone swapped the magnets in your pickups without you knowing, and you played through an unfamiliar amp? Probably not.

But as a user buying these pickups, you're not using an unfamiliar amp, or an unfamiliar guitar.
Quote by al112987
But as a user buying these pickups, you're not using an unfamiliar amp, or an unfamiliar guitar.

yeah, I know what you're saying.

the average listner proly wouldn't really care (or even notice the difference) either.
Quote by al112987

Oh sure, I'm just trying to allude to the amount of noticeable effect a magnet swap might have.
Quote by Nolly
Oh sure, I'm just trying to allude to the amount of noticeable effect a magnet swap might have.

but when talking about switching magnets in your own guitar, the difference can be very noticeable. If I swapped a ceramic magnet into one of my alnico pickups, they would have a completely different character. The voice of a ceramic pickup is completely different, by what you're saying, you wouldn't even notice the difference between say... a Seymour Duncan Invader and a Seymour Duncan JB if they were switched in your guitar?
Quote by al112987
but when talking about switching magnets in your own guitar, the difference can be very noticeable. If I swapped a ceramic magnet into one of my alnico pickups, they would have a completely different character. The voice of a ceramic pickup is completely different, by what you're saying, you wouldn't even notice the difference between say... a Seymour Duncan Invader and a Seymour Duncan JB if they were switched in your guitar?

No, you misunderstand, I'm talking of holding all other factors constant, and changing the magnet. There's much more to a pickup than simply the kind of magnet, there's still the gauge, material and number of winds of the wire, the magnet "footprint", the type of polepieces etc. On a humbucker there's also the winding offset, which can create a big difference tone.
Of course an Invader is going to sound very noticeably different to a JB, even if with an unfamiliar guitar/amp you'd notice the output difference if nothing else.
That said, as I've said each time, you could never listen to a professionally mixed and mastered recording and say you can hear the specific properties of the magnet in the pickup used. You could probably make an educated guess from the style of music though.
so I want a heavy sound.
Thick tone. Metal.
I want my palm mutes to sound chunky and full.

I know I want a higher output pickup.

Say the pickup were both about the same output.

----Would you reccomend a "Ceramic" or "Alnico 5" based on my description???
(I can't decide)