Hey, I'm trying to decide on which amp to get, I play mostly Rock and Metal (Queen, The Darkness, Iron Maiden, Hammerfall and eventually stuff like DragonForce (dont flame, ive never played guitar hero ) and Stratovarius etc) with a Ibanez RG321MH.

I have looked at The Peavey Valve King 112, the Crate FW65, the Marshall JCM 800 Combo and the Laney LC30 (is this not high gain enough for heavy metal?).

My budget is about 400, im a little flexible, but obviously the cheaper the better (without sacrificing tone/quality) as i also want to buy a harmoniser and eq pedal this year.

Suggestions/Advice/Help welcome

Thanks

EDIT: another question i do have, its kinda related, for my birthday my parents are putting some money towards a laptop for me, would i be able to hook my amp up to that via some program like Cubase and have the speakers on that running instead of the speaker in my amp. im just thinking for if i dont want to play loudly later on in the evening as next door have small kids etc
Last edited by Fraserwatt at Jun 9, 2008,
It's possible if the amp has a headphone output. if not, I don't know
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Ummmmm try a line 6 there very gainy and you can get good low and high tones

have a test of one in a shop
Quote by Johnaldinho
Ummmmm try a line 6 there very gainy and you can get good low and high tones

ive tried a mates line 6 before. the tones were...different.
I think the Valveking 112 would do all those quite well. Especially with an OD pedal to tighten up the sound.
A valveking might be ok. If you could find a JCM it could be alright too. The 800 might not have enough gain, not too sure.
Quote by Fraserwatt
ive tried a mates line 6 before. the tones were...different.
It made you suicidal, didn't it.

Hmmm, VK vs. LC30 here. The LC30 arguably has better tone and features all round the shop, but it can be hard to dial in, while with the VK it's easier to dial in its best tone, which is arguably poorer than the LC30's.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Fraserwatt
EDIT: another question i do have, its kinda related, for my birthday my parents are putting some money towards a laptop for me, would i be able to hook my amp up to that via some program like Cubase and have the speakers on that running instead of the speaker in my amp. im just thinking for if i dont want to play loudly later on in the evening as next door have small kids etc

i would think you would blow out your computer speakers, but im not positive, depends on how you connect it.
you can still play quietly with tube amps you know?
i practice quietly with my 5150 all the time and it sounds fine.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
For the bands mentioned you'll probably want a British voiced amp.

You can hook the amp directly to the computer and play through the speakers. With the volume turned very low on the amp run the headphone jack to either the mic or line in on the computer. You'll have to have a 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor for the guitar patch cable, and will need to mess around with the gain and volume settings on the computer to get it to sound right. It usually works better running to line in instead of mic, but most laptops don't have a line in jack. It won't sound good and you won't be able to turn it up very loud without the speakers crackling, but it will work.
You're probably not gonna be able to afford a JCM800, used or not. You'd probably like a Laney.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Look on craigslist locally if anyone's selling a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. It can be had for $300-$400 if you're lucky. There's also the Peavey Valveking & the Kustom Defender, which I'm hoping to get by this week.
Valveking would work for $400 and as far as recording your best bet is microphone and then software. I've been happy with audacity.net as it is free but there are others that say it is cr*p. I'm not creating demos or anything tho just personal use.
Quote by MrCarrot
It made you suicidal, didn't it.

I was suicidal at one time or another... I brought a Spider II HD150 online and totally regretted it! It was a pretty good door stopper for a while. Sorry to anyone who still has one and likes it. I hated its cleans, and that ridiculus Insane red amp model!!! I think I only really liked the Twang green and Metal green.
Quote by leondb
Look on craigslist locally if anyone's selling a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. It can be had for $300-$400 if you're lucky.

Wouldnt the Fender lack the gain needed for metal? or is the Hot Rod different?

thanks for the help guys, i probably should have added that its 400GBP i have to spend, not 400USD :P
Fender's have nice cleans. There is a Drive, and a More Drive channel, with adjustable gain and master controls, but I'm not sure if it will be heavy enough for metal. You could look into a nice OD pedal too.
Thanks for the help guys, I've decided im gunna go with the valve king, and if the tone isnt "british" enough, i'll change either the speaker or the tubes.
i'de get the Valveking or the JCM800 personally. im a marshall guy generally but i like the VKs.
i dont like the spider amps so ide probably avoid them and get the real deal!
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals