here's the thing,ive been using economy picking since i started playing about 3 years ago,before i even knew it was called that! it felt logical,and it still feels comfortable and it has never let me down so far

but i follow kristopher dahl's shred masterclass,and he kinda spoke against it in replies he makes to people's comments,he said:

* Economy pikcing - you can achieve great speed and sounds with this. But you will never get the same rhythmic effect out of a fast speedpicking run (like for Paul Gilbert for example). I stopped doing economy picking ~2 years ago. This resulted in me not being able to pick very good in any way, since I all of a sudden became a beginner at picking. Now I feel that the alternate picking is starting to come along so I see some light in the end of the tunnel!

so,this got me wondering?should i go ahead and try to switch? i tried to do that and alternate picking felt like poop! like taking the long way when you should be taking the obvious one,economy picking feels much more natural and just right!

but im still wondering,am i just holding on to a bad habit? its gonna be a real pain trying to switch and i still prefer economy

so what should i do,advice anyone? im really confused
I used to use economy picking. I switched to alternate picking quite early during my playing. I think it's better for me.

There are great guitarists out there that use economy picking. It's really up to you. Everyone is different. If economy picking works for you, then use it.
Hey, i switched to alternate picking too from economy picking too like a year back. Now i prefer alternate picking way more and almost never use economy picking.. In fact i find it easier then economy picking now..

It shouldnt be too hard to pick up if u were already decent at economy picking, but i had real trouble with switching strings at 1st.. So i had to practice switching strings real slowly at first..

Hope this helps..
What is really the difference between economy and alternate? Tried reading on wiki but didn't really understand (retard)

*edit* nevermind got it
Quote by xyber56
Hey, i switched to alternate picking too from economy picking too like a year back. Now i prefer alternate picking way more and almost never use economy picking.. In fact i find it easier then economy picking now..

It shouldnt be too hard to pick up if u were already decent at economy picking, but i had real trouble with switching strings at 1st.. So i had to practice switching strings real slowly at first..

Hope this helps..

thats exactly whats bugging me,why should i switch strings the less logical way? and i dont think it wuld be easy,ive been economy picking since i started

who of the great players uses economy picking,if i may ask?
hey guys.... why cant you use economy picking AND alternate picking? They both sound different, are both suitable in different situations and I think the best guitar playing is when you try and vary your technique a bit. Thats certainly how I try to approach my lead playing anyway...

peace

G
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
I switched.
You can use both. On so called stack picking I just feel that I get better control=cleaner playing. Also it sounds different, and better in my ears.
Only time I won't alternate pick/string skip is when doing really fast arpeggios (sweeping) but when doing the rather slow, I string skip them
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Frank Gambale uses economy picking.

Malmsteen uses it a bit too.
If you get along with economy picking and like the sound then don't worry about it; only change your technique if you don't like the tone, to hell with what everyone else thinks.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
surely logic dictates you use whatever gets you where you need to be the fastest/most appropriate way?

a combination of economy and alternate picking seems the most logical decision...
Thank you please.
Quote by Wonthefu
Why limit yourself to only one technique? Learn both. Just because you start practicing alt picking doesn't mean you can't still use eco picking.

INDEED !!!!
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
Learn them both mate. If you're already adept at economy picking, then that's great. You can use that if you need to do a complicated lick in the studio or something. But, you should also develop the alternate picking. There's some occassions where you really can't beat the sound you get from alternate picking an entire run.

You see, I'm the opposite of you, I developed an alternate picking technique intuitively. Now it's hard to learn economy picking (not that I'm really putting a concerted effort into it, mind).
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay