if it sounds good and if it plays good
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

mcROFL
What les paul are you looking at?
Why can’t a heterosexual guy tell a heterosexual guy that he thinks his booty is fly?

Quote by Curious Jeff
These posts are too long. Just do some drugs
Well first and foremost, before brand or any aesthetics is the price. I strongly recommend trying out every guitar in your price range.
Secondly, you'd be looking at how well it plays. Is the neck comfortable or is it too thick/thin? What's the action like? That sort of stuff.

Third, is the sound. Remember, you can always change the way a guitar sounds (To an extent) by switching out the pickups.
There's no way of gauging how good it sounds, it might sound great to you but crap to someone else, so go with whatever you like best.
Next is the build quality. Does the finish scratch easily? Do the knobs stay on, does it look/feel fragile?
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
you might want to check for bad frets and a straight neck
©Fleabass5

FreakyStyley
^ Play every single guitar in your price range
Quote by CrackerJack465
Amps dont matter.
NeWb!
Quote by thale84
^ Play every single guitar in your price range

Thirded. You never know what gems you will discover that you normally would've glossed over.