I´ve been thinking this thing...

Heres Dragonforces Fury of the storm intro. Just a demonstrate what I mean. And I´ve been windering how this SHOULD be picked. Like... How does Herman Li pick that.
[tab]
|----------------------|---------------------|-----------------------|
|----------------------|--------14-16-14-----|-----------------------|
|-14--14-16-17-16-14---|-17--17----------17--|-16--16-17-16-14-16-17-|
[tab/]
I know what is alternate picking but im wondering the note duration... Does it matter? I think that it does so I would pick this:

E=eightnote S=sixteenth note

E S S S S E | E S S S S E | E S S S S S S |1. SSSS SSSS SSSS SSSS||2. E E E E | E E E E
D D U D U D | D D U D U D | D DU DU DU | DUDU DUDU DUDU DUDU|| D D D D | D D D D

Can this be called Alternate picking? Does any1 know how Herman does it?

Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrpH1ixGtsw
Tab: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/d/dragonforce/fury_of_the_storm_tab.htm
Go to my homesite if you want learn Sweep picking and Economy.

Here:

www.freewebs.com/ushimirs

I hope you like... but text is finnish.
Quote by Martindecorum
the way i do it is every thing is D U. thats just me being natural and not really thinking about and i dont think it would matter that much in this sort of music

Once I did that too but now Im not sure... I want to know what is right music comes first yeh but picking direction effects the sound a bit always.

Here:

There it is a bit neater for you. Personally, I wouldn't worry about how you pick it too much. Just do it how its comfortable for you. Personally, I'd alt. pick that.
Quote by TheShred201

There it is a bit neater for you. Personally, I wouldn't worry about how you pick it too much. Just do it how its comfortable for you. Personally, I'd alt. pick that.

Maybe peuple dont just know HOW TO alternate pick that for real. Because a "Good" alternate picking is a contiounus down up down up picking motion so it is:
D (U) D U D U D (U) ETC

You now...

Here:

Quote by ushimir
Maybe peuple dont just know HOW TO alternate pick that for real. Because a "Good" alternate picking is a contiounus down up down up picking motion so it is:
D (U) D U D U D (U) ETC

You now...

If I was to play such a song then that is probably how I'd do it but you needn't have the rhythm strokes in there; you could use pure alternate picking and just go DUDUDUDUDU.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
well directional picking is much smarter than alt picking..
when changing to another string it is pointless to use alt picking.
as in:

D U D U
--------------12----------------
--12-12-12-------------------

its MUCH easier if you would do

D U D D
--------------12----------------
--12-12-12-------------------

but to really answer your question, i'd always use DIRECTIONAL picking unless playing rhythm guitar, like metallica. its harder to alternate picking sometimes and in constant downward picking it makes it sound 'chunkier'. if you know what i mean
Quote by RCalisto
well directional picking is much smarter than alt picking

That isn't the point of the thread.

He was asking if you should keep the picking pattern going during rests and the like so keeping your picking hand in a constant 16th note pattern even if you're not playing on all of the notes. In this case I wouldn't advise it because I think it's a little too fast for keeping the picking hand goin constantly and you need to kill the strings during the rests.

This is not going to turn into an alt. versus eco. picking thread, there would be no point in such a thread because you can achieve all the speed you could ever need with either. Economy picking is useless without a good alt picking technique anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.