Page 1 of 3
Okay, I realise that this post is going to be viewed with a large amount of skeptisism due to the general nature of The Pit, but please try to make helpful suggestions.

My friends and I are all christians. We meet up every Sunday night (unorinigally called Sunday Nighters) and our youth leader does some teaching and my friend and I lead the worship.

Now one of my best friends, lets call him Steve, has been having troubles with his girlfriend, lets call her Sandy. They have been going out for about 3 years now (long time for teenagers) and have often had ups and downs, as all couples do. But recently, its become evident that Steve is becoming increasingly hurt by Sandy's constant going out to parties where her idea of fun is to get hammered.

Last night, at one of our meetings, Sandy was acting very strangley (she has been prone to being quite open to listening to God and has prompted many actions such as cleaning up the neighbourhood and such) with a sort of wide-eyed look and very distant actions. She went up to people, at first trying to guess their middle names (although she knew most of them, which brings attention to the fact she got most wrong) and spoke to people in a kinda external voice. She mainly told people how to solve some of their personal issues that they had been struggling with, and later they texted her saying they were thankful for that.

After she had spoken to someone, she 'woke up' and explained how she couldn't remember the last 5 minutes or so. Odd. However, when she talked to Steve later, she didn't help him, but just said 'You need to make a decision for yourself' (as to whether he wants to continue going out with her despite the hurt).

It was as if something was speaking through her, she was talking as if she wasn't in control. She also replied to a worried friend's text saying 'The lord is with her as I am with you, Sandy is fine'

Also, she realised at one point that she HAD to speak to Steve's dad (Steve's mum was there as well, just to cover Child Protection etc). Steve's dad won't tell us what she said, and had a hour long chat with Steve essentially locked in the car talking about everything he and Sandy had... been up to as it were. Uncomfortable I can imagine.

Now me and Steve can only really see two reasons for her strange actions.

1) She was having some kind of mental episode, but this seems very unlikely as she is normally a very mentally strong girl and has never had problems in the past
2) She was having some sort of 'religious experience' where 'something' was talking through her to help people through their problems, apart from Steve. This seems the more likely of the two as she has been very open to talking to God and getting messages back, although, this is obviously harder to believe as it goes beyond normal logic and as the skeptics will probably say, is impossible.

What I am asking you is, do you have any sort of idea as to which one probably happened? Any advice as to what to do?

Thank you UG, I know you can deliver

EDIT: now in religion thread
Quote by mustaineNslash
i know this sounds stupid but...
wheres the sig button??

(sry)

Quote by aleb
1) She was having some kind of mental episode, but this seems very unlikely as she is normally a very mentally strong girl and has never had problems in the past

This means nothing.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
This means nothing.

... good point
Quote by mustaineNslash
wheres the sig button??

(sry)

Does it really matter? Sandy's going to be burning in hell for drinking alcohol anyway.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
I lol'd.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Lol you silly religious people
███████
███████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████
███████████████
███████████
███████

Quote by aleb
... good point

You might want to have a talk with her. Ask her why she does these things.
Crucify her NAOW.
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
Quote by aleb

Last night, at one of our meetings, Sandy was acting very strangley (she has been prone to being quite open to listening to God and has prompted many actions such as cleaning up the neighbourhood and such) with a sort of wide-eyed look and very distant actions. She went up to people, at first trying to guess their middle names (although she knew most of them, which brings attention to the fact she got most wrong) and spoke to people in a kinda external voice. She mainly told people how to solve some of their personal issues that they had been struggling with, and later they texted her saying they were thankful for that.

Well if the thing that was talking through her knew all about everyone's problems, why did he not know their middle names?
Quote by Kensai
You might want to have a talk to her. Ask her why she does these things.

She has no major recollection of what she did or what she said, only that she went over to people to start talking with them, then the next minute walked away

Oh yeah, and to the people making jokes, very funny and all that, but this is kinda important to me and probably many other people so I think you should maybe have a decency to 'go and lol' at something else

EDIT:
Quote by Xn00bX
Well if the thing that was talking through her knew all about everyone's problems, why did he not know their middle names?

This is a very interesting point, I have absolutely no idea, hence I ask the pit
Quote by mustaineNslash
wheres the sig button??

(sry)

i agree with above poster. If the said girl was possessed by a higher power or being used by a higher power, wouldnt they have enough godly knowledge to know middle names?
Quote by Milesthedude
Was she high?

She doesn't take drugs or drink by herself or anything

Quote by Pageles
i agree with above poster. If the said girl was possessed by a higher power or being used by a higher power, wouldnt they have enough godly knowledge to know middle names?

She always guessed people middle names just as she started talking to them, I don't know, maybe it was the passing over from her to God? She was slightly aware of asking people their middle names
Quote by mustaineNslash
wheres the sig button??

(sry)

Last edited by aleb at Jun 9, 2008,
she's pretending to be posessed by lucifer...
check for moles that look like '666'

W
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Quote by aleb
She has no major recollection of what she did or what she said, only that she went over to people to start talking with them, then the next minute walked away

Yeah that's never a good sign. Was she under any influence?

EDIT: Ok, no. In that case it's likely a problem related to her brain.

Quote by aleb
Oh yeah, and to the people making jokes, very funny and all that, but this is kinda important to me and probably many other people so I think you should maybe have a decency to 'go and lol' at something else

It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
Could be stress. The stress of the relationship could have resulted in a minor episode.

AP Psych FTW.
it might have been some sort of epieptic fit, they can lead to hallucinations, visual and auditory, and she didn't remember it to well after, from what I read
Quote by Kensai
It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.

I know, isn't it depressing?
Quote by mustaineNslash
wheres the sig button??

(sry)

Quote by Kensai
Yeah that's never a good sign. Was she under any influence?

EDIT: Ok, no. In that case it's likely a problem related to her brain.

Don't act so innocent Mr, you and your Santa hat
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
She is the big JC! I know its wrong to make fun of peoples religions but that is just so ridiculous! In what kinda religion does everyone's second name?
Quote by Kensai

Do you have this photo?

I'd like to see it...
She's probably crazy, that or she's using god as a way to get Steve to quit complaining about her drinking (in which case she's both crazy and a bitch).

Steve should just bail out of the relationship, because it doesn't seem to be going anywhere, and now she's playing mind games with him for her own enjoyment. ...I feel weird typing this because my name is Steve.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
elaborate break up she just set up there
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Quote by aleb
I know, isn't it depressing?

Slightly.

Talk to her about it. Maybe it's stress or something worse.

Quote by rickyy
Don't act so innocent Mr, you and your Santa hat

Like I'll take that from mr. cartman hitler

Quote by Ziggums
Do you have this photo?

I'd like to see it...

Maybe

<.<

>:>
Im not very religious but im very intersted in experiences. My best friend has become very religous in the past few years, and has told me about 'speaking in tongues' etc. I completely believe him and im very intersted in other evidence of religious experiences.
The only possible explanation is that people can somehow convince themselves and their bodies that they are with God, but i am sceptical of that explanation.
I cant really see any 'logical' explanation, sorry.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by Kensai

^That's quote is begging to be sigged
Attention seeking springs to mind to be honest. Also you should not have jumped to the conclusion her actions are based on religion. There is a lot more to think about which could be the cause of this.
Seems to me like its her way of gaining attention from a boyfriend she's ready to break up with to test him.
Kaya Scodelario... Wow

GEAR:
Air
Purple Tortex Jazz Picks
Wow, disrespect much?

Anyway, ok, its very possible that she was having some kind of channeling experiance

Or that god revealed things to her that she couldn't handle conciouslly, so her subconcious took over to avoid her brain from shutting down

^last one was a complete guess
Quote by athlete1
before you make any big assumptions test her for drugs.seriously.

yea just because you say she doesnt do drugs and that she doesnt drink by herself or anything doesnt mean that she hasnt started doing one or both.
Okay, thanks for the comments, here are some replies:

1) test her for drugs/ she was tripping balls/ psycadellic drugs

You know those kinds of people that may drink a bit but would never do drugs? Sandy is that kind of person

2) attention seeking/ guilt trip

Sandy is one of THE nicest people I know and would never do something like that to Steve. Plus, most of the things she spoke about were faith related

3) stress

It may well be stress, but I think it would be unlikely as what she has said to people has really affected them in a good way and some people's faiths have been like increased because of her help

4)nelson mandela pic

lol
Quote by mustaineNslash
wheres the sig button??

(sry)

Page 1 of 3