I was wandering to see if there are any good scales to practice, well are there any? 'cause i forgot some
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then it's hillarious!

Anybody want to play football?

Gear: Ibanez GSR190 Color:Black
Amp: Small 15W Practice amp
Last edited by Likecal at Jun 9, 2008,
give me one example

---------------------------
-----------------0-1-------
------------0-2-----------
----0-2-3-------------------
-3------------------------
---------------------------

How hardcore is that one!!
F.Y.I I play a 4-string Bass

Quote by Likecal
F.Y.I I play a 4-string Bass

classic, then u wont need to change as the preset is a 4 string lol

EDIT: and to :-), thats true,but obviously u dont need to deal with the upper 2 strings if u play bass, silly extra strings
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
are there any scales?

Ionian
Dorian
Phrygian
Lydian
Mixolydian
Aeolian
Locrian
Melodic Minor
Harmonic Minor
Phrygian Dominant
Lydian Dominant
Locrian #2
Diminished
Half-Diminished
Chromatic
Super Locrian

and many many more.
Since he's asking for scales I would advise people to stop suggesting modes, this would only mix him up further.

Every single scale is a good scale to practise. So play.
I'll give you a few to start out with, all in A minor or C Major. The first one is A minor pentatonic with add notes.. i'll explain a little later.

This is the movable shape for the A minor pentatonic.

e5---------8
B5---------8
G[4]-5-7-(8)
D5-----7
A5-(6)-7
E5-----[7]-8

The notes in the parentheses are blues notes, add these notes into the scale and you will be playing the minor blues pentatonic. The notes in the []'s are 9th notes, add these to the scale and you will be playing pentatonic minor add9.. thats what i it anyway.

Another good start would be the first position of the major scale.. So for C Major

e10-12-13
B10-12-13
G9-10-12
D9-10-12
A8-10-12
E8-10-12

Thats the C major scale. Learn that and the rest of the positions (which can be found on this site somewhere.. thats where I first found them before I got a teacher.)

Once you know the pentatonic well enough, you will start to see it in music and be able to visualize all the different licks you know in it.
Quote by colohue
Since he's asking for scales I would advise people to stop suggesting modes, this would only mix him up further.

Every single scale is a good scale to practise. So play.

modes are scales, but if you mean its probably a bit over the TS's head I agree.

To the TS:

here are some basic, commonly used scales:

minor pentatonic
minor blues

Major
minor

If you don't know those, don't worry about any other scales just yet.
shred is gaudy music
Ok, don't just go learning random scales. That's about as pointless as it gets.

Start with the major scale. Learn it. Check out the music theory FAQ. Next, learn the modes of the major scale. These are also in the FAQ. You'll learn what scales and modes are and what they're used for. Next, learn the major and minor pentatonic scales and how they are derived from the major and natural minor scale. That will just cover your basic scales and give you something to look at and practice. You will be surprised to find that the major scale is the basis for all music, and that it is used to construct chords and serves as the "base scale" for all of its modes.

Once you have learned these basics, you should probably start applying them in real life to get an understanding of why you're learning all of these. This means you'll have to use these scales to solo, write arpeggios, construct chords, stay in key. You will learn all of this from the music theory FAQ and lessons on UG (go to the lessons tab at the very top margin of the page).

Learning scales will help you understand key, you will learn to solo, you will learn how chords are constructed and what chords are in what key. You will build accuracy precision from practicing them. They are the basis of music, specifically the major scale. Don't just practice scales to build speed. Learn what they are there for and how to use them.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Last edited by philipp122 at Jun 9, 2008,