a few probables here will probably just end up saying "Rickenbacker" (which the sound of this bass is clearly more typical Rickenbacker than "funk nasty" - it feels like a mix of both though), but I'm also going to say he's bi-amping because his tone sounds like it would if you cut off a lot of the lows, but it still has the low end, and I know the Rick has bi-amping built in.

ofcourse I also doubt myself because who would bi-amp for a silly youtube record video of themselves playing a fairly easy Aerosmith bassline.
...ofcourse who would record that in the first place.
ofcourse, I dont know.

but, basically, cut lows and mids to get that kinda tone (or own a really nice 70s bass). And then boost the lows back up somehow (like bi-amping, or having a 4 band EQ and simply cutting 1 of the 2 lower EQs).

that'd be my theory.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
ofcourse I also doubt myself because who would bi-amp for a silly youtube record video of themselves playing a fairly easy Aerosmith bassline.
...ofcourse who would record that in the first place.
ofcourse, I dont know.

There are some of us who think it's pretty cool and glad that he recorded it. Not everybody is an expert. I've been playing bass seriously for about, oh, a month. It's kinda challenging for me.
On a related note, I'm really not sure why this is labeled as "intermediate" in the sticky thread, at the same level as "cochise", with "black dog" being "advanced". Cochise is beginner, black dog is harder but I can play it easily. This aerosmith **** is a little over my head.
Damn, I'm no bassist, but if mine had a tone like that, I'd be a happy person
Current Rig>>Jackson Phil Collin Signature Guitar/Ibanez Artcore>>>Modded Dunlop Crybaby>>>TS-9DXModded>>>Rat kit>>Octavia>>CE-20>>DD-7>>>Musicaman HD-120
Quote by corndogggy
On a related note, I'm really not sure why this is labeled as "intermediate" in the sticky thread, at the same level as "cochise", with "black dog" being "advanced". Cochise is beginner, black dog is harder but I can play it easily. This aerosmith **** is a little over my head.

Post this in the Sticky thread then, btw. Don't double post.

But I agree with Dan's suggestion.
I've talked to him before, and his setup is pretty simple for youtube videos (no bi-amping involved). He simply runs his bass direct with the volume most or all of the way up to get a little bit of growl, and use the tone knobs for taste. But TS, I think the main ingredient here is the Rickenbacker. All-maple basses have a really distinct "clear-yet-nasty" sound that you're describing.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.