Page 1 of 3
Who is proboly the best bassist in a rock band (name three)
My three: Mike Dirnt (green day), Johnny Christ (avenged sevenfold),and the bass player from metallica
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then it's hillarious!

Anybody want to play football?

Gear: Ibanez GSR190 Color:Black
Amp: Small 15W Practice amp
Last edited by Likecal at Jun 9, 2008,
flea.. robert trujillo and. a another one.....
It`s sad but true.
inb4petewentzsucks

mine are dan andriano, mike dirnt and chris wolstenholme
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Not so much rock, but mark king?

that guy is a slap bass god
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by charlie__flynn
Not so much rock, but mark king?

that guy is a slap bass god

+infinity. end of!
"A love pirate ? I am no love pirate. What do they mean by that ?"
For the guy who said pete wentz, You can't honestly think that? He is probalby the worst bass player out there. I like fob but he is a fruitloop and he sucks at playing bass. there is no bassline he plays that a kid who has been playing bass for 2 weeks couldn't learn. Try listening to some muse and listen to chris's basslines and then check out some streetlight manifesto. After you check out those bands you will understand what a great bass player is.
flea, matt freeman, fat mike, les claypool, william murderface, and anybody is better than pete wentz.
amen

Last edited by Likecal at Jun 9, 2008,
Quote by Mcchickey
For the guy who said pete wentz, You can't honestly think that? He is probalby the worst bass player out there. I like fob but he is a fruitloop and he sucks at playing bass. there is no bassline he plays that a kid who has been playing bass for 2 weeks couldn't learn. Try listening to some muse and listen to chris's basslines and then check out some streetlight manifesto. After you check out those bands you will understand what a great bass player is.

Somones never heard of a joke
Matt Sharp, Les Claypool, Jason Newsted, and Mike Dirnt are my favorites.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by Mcchickey

yes his basslines suck, but technically u could say that he is a professional bassist and could play anythin he tried his hand at, but hey

EDIT: also, root note basslines work for some bands, and fob are one of them, i cant really see how else the bass could fit in those songs, and yet noone has a problem when mike dirnt does it on quite alot of his work, and btw patrick stump writes the music for FOB so maybe pete has nuthin to do wi it

Double Edit: yeah ok sayin pete has nuthin to do wi it is a bit out there, coz i would not play sumthin my guitarist wrote for me with no qualms, but my comment stands lol
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Last edited by CaptainJack666 at Jun 9, 2008,
Quote by Wonthefu
I like how nobody noticed the bands I listed all don't have a bassist...

welcome to the bass forum, noone cares about bassless bands, kinda defeats the purpose yes?
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
^you said it all

Quote by CaptainJack666
welcome to the bass forum, noone cares about bassless bands, kinda defeats the purpose yes?

They all have bass. But they don't have bassists. The Doors and Gay Beast use keyboards and B...TA have a player who uses a Warr guitar to cover rhythm and bass at the same time.
Quote by Wonthefu
They all have bass. But they don't have bassists. The Doors and Gay Beast use keyboards and B...TA have a player who uses a Warr guitar to cover rhythm and bass at the same time.

alright, u can have sum points back, coz 30 seconds to mars now have a touring bassist, to mention one band i enjoy, but even so....... lol
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
You know, for all we know Pete Wentz could be a very good bassist. I can just imagine in his next interview he pulls out his Marcus Miller sig and plays Classical Thump. Hey, it's not impossible...
Quote by Froggy McHop
You know, for all we know Pete Wentz could be a very good bassist. I can just imagine in his next interview he pulls out his Marcus Miller sig and plays Classical Thump. Hey, it's not impossible...

thats what i said X_X
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by CaptainJack666
thats what i said X_X

Yes, but I felt I put a more humorous spin on it.

Sorry...
Quote by Froggy McHop
Yes, but I felt I put a more humorous spin on it.

Sorry...

haha its ok, i thot i was the only UGer to defend pete, i now have an ally hahaha
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by skasteve4356
mike dirnt, sid vicous, and roger of less than jake

Give me a break. Sid Vicious didn't even know how to play bass, they turned him down on concerts and they chose him just because he had a T-shirt that said "Pink Floyd sucks" and they liked the image and attitude.
Quote by higgins666
thats a very good point, although i heard that they unplugged him, but thats only a small difference. they say that sid wasnt on "never mind the bollocks"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lJU_QxY8Kc

Yeah Glen Matlock played on that album I believe, he was a fairly alright bassist.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Glen Matlock played on the first album and wrote most of the music. The story goes that he was thrown out of the band because he said he liked the Beatles.

I wouldn't really consider Les Claypool punk either, though he rides rather high in my own bass universe.

For punk--Paul Simonon, Mike Watt and JJ Burnell (Stranglers). And good lord, no one's mentioned Klaus Fluoride (Dead Kennedys) either, unless I missed it in all of the inane arguments that have gone on in this thread.
I haven't seen Matt Freeman mentioned yet. Since I know the rest of the bass forum isn't so dumb as to overlook him, I'm sure someone has mentioned him and I just missed it.
Quote by St.Loony
Listen to Rancid - Maxewell Murders

Mat Freeman does show in that number how a a REAL punk bassist should be/sound. Unfortunately that ending part is the only decent "trick" he can. Every solo he does is that part.

I don't listen to punk a lot but John Entwhistle comes to mind. As for Rock i would say Billy Sheean.

Claypool, Burton, King, flea etc. are all great bassist but fall under a different genre.
Claypool does ballance a bit on rock/hardrock.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Page 1 of 3