Any opinions on this?

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SBX410

I'll be playing a custom 5-string at medium sized bars, sometimes outside. I want beefy drivers, power to spare, the ability to hit the low B and shake the place, and a cabinet that doesn't look like I'm compensating for something or will kill my back trying to move it.

Ampeg makes a similar cabinet but it's not tuned as low, only 40 hz and not 26-28, I think. Not sure which one to get. I imagine I'd want an ampeg head if I went with that ampeg cabinet, so then I'd pay more, and I'm not sure how a middle of the line ampeg is comparable is to a high end Carvin.

Is Carvin made in China???
Last edited by corndogggy at Jun 9, 2008,
Quote by corndogggy
Any opinions on this?

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SBX410

I'll be playing a custom 5-string at medium sized bars, sometimes outside. I want beefy drivers, power to spare, the ability to hit the low B and shake the place, and a cabinet that doesn't look like I'm compensating for something or will kill my back trying to move it.

Ampeg makes a similar cabinet but it's not tuned as low, only 40 hz and not 26-28, I think. Not sure which one to get. I imagine I'd want an ampeg head if I went with that ampeg cabinet, so then I'd pay more, and I'm not sure how a middle of the line ampeg is comparable is to a high end Carvin.

Is Carvin made in China???

Carvin is made in the USA.

Honestly if you want an Ampeg head, get one, and get a different company's cab. And I dunno about you, but I'm not seeing a 4x10 going down BELOW a low B. I looked up the specs on Eminences Neos, and none of the speakers were going below 40HZ, even the 15s, if I recall correctly. If you like the sound of 12s, they go pretty much as low as 15s, which is why many companies are using them for their small sized combos. Just some food for thought.
Quote by IndianRockStar
And I dunno about you, but I'm not seeing a 4x10 going down BELOW a low B. I looked up the specs on Eminences Neos, and none of the speakers were going below 40HZ, even the 15s, if I recall correctly.

Yeah I don't know what's going on with that, but look at the reviews, the one on the bottom... there's a guy that says he uses this for karaoke and it blows away two 18's on the low stuff.
These handle 50 more watts each than the Eminence Neos, so I'm guessing they're making their own, I don't know. 135 dB from just 4 10's is friggin loud though... 140 db is the sound of a jet airplane taking off.
I'm sold on the cabinet, the guys at Carvin claim that a single 4x10 cranks out more sound at a higher quality than their 8x10 cab.

The question now is which amp? I was considering that big one, but the sales guy said the 1200 watt version is more diverse:

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BX1200

The other choice is this:

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=B1500

Which one should I consider, and why, or should I try to go with Ampeg? I want a little bit of growl, I don't want pure bass, otherwise I'm not picky.
Out of those two, the BX1200. It's cheaper, the sound will be very similar, has more features, and 1900 watts is comical. Seriously, you don't need it. I'm actually loling thinking about it. But for sure look at other companies besides the two you mentioned for the head, because that is the dominating factor in your tone.
Well, it depends. The B1500 is said to be more mechanical in its sound, others say modern. Also, the BX1200 has a superior front end (EQ etc.), others say its confusing. It's all how you look at it. Personally I'd go with the BX1200, just for the front end, to me that's more versatile and all around better. You can't really go wrong either way. Unless you want an Ampeg, then you've went in the completely opposite direction.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Well, it depends. The B1500 is said to be more mechanical in its sound, others say modern. Also, the BX1200 has a superior front end (EQ etc.), others say its confusing. It's all how you look at it. Personally I'd go with the BX1200, just for the front end, to me that's more versatile and all around better. You can't really go wrong either way. Unless you want an Ampeg, then you've went in the completely opposite direction.

I mainly just don't know what the best match is, because I can't hear any of these locally. Seriously, I have to drive at least 3 hours to hear anything, nobody has anything decent here in town, although there are multiple music stores.

I really don't know how much power I need. All I know is that I want that cabinet and want a good match. The BX1200 does sound like a good match, but crap, it's got 3 sets of EQ's... I'd just jack it all up. I'm getting old, I like simple stuff. Really the only reason I'd consider the bigger one is if I ever want a second cabinet, and due to the simplicity... it's supposed to sound great right out of the box with minimal tweaks.

I considered an Ampeg, but their biggest solid state can't even pump out half of what that cabinet can handle. I don't know if I want to pay for their all-tube or not, I have no idea what either sounds like, and it's just 300 watts, although I realize it will sound louder due to the tubes, not sure why.
Last edited by corndogggy at Jun 9, 2008,
Well, Ampeg is all over that old school thump. Think of the most quintessential bass sound you can think of, and it's probably an Ampeg. Carvin on the other hand is quite transparent. It does whatever you want from the EQ. In my mind Carvin are superior because of the versatility. There's no "Carvin" sound, but there's sure as hell an "Ampeg" sound. As far as the two Carvin goes, really you just have to decide between simplicity (B1500) or excruciating versatility (BX1200).
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Jun 9, 2008,
Quote by corndogggy
I considered an Ampeg, but their biggest solid state can't even pump out half of what that cabinet can handle. I don't know if I want to pay for their all-tube or not, I have no idea what either sounds like, and it's just 300 watts, although I realize it will sound louder due to the tubes, not sure why.

Tubes are "louder" because they pick up harmonics and accentuate differently from SS amps in a way that the human ear picks it up better. I think Ampeg's best head is the SVT-4 PRO, but it all depends on what you are a fan of. Like I've said before, look at other amp companies too. Bales (jazz_rock_feel) will tell you not to get an Ampeg because it does one tone, but he comes from the other side of the spectrum as far as amp preferences goes. He wants an amp that is transparent, meaning it do whatever sound you like. Amps like Ampeg have a distinct tone (though it is a very good tone), and many people hate that. Bales has said you can't get a modern tone out of an Ampeg, but he's exaggerating a little. I like a more transparent amp, but that doesn't mean Ampeg is bad. If you want that hardcore punk tone, for example, your SVT will go a long way to getting you there.
So is a 300 watt Ampeg tube amp still going to push the lowest sub-bass frequencies to that cab in a manner that is as loud as that 1200 watt solid state Carvin? Am I giving up that massive speaker movement on the sub-bass for more harmonics/tone?
Quote by corndogggy
So is a 300 watt Ampeg tube amp still going to push the lowest sub-bass frequencies to that cab in a manner that is as loud as that 1200 watt solid state Carvin? Am I giving up that massive speaker movement on the sub-bass for more harmonics/tone?

I want to say so, but I haven't really played an SVT with a 5er. I mean, frequency response of the head is 20-20k. But regardless, a 300 watt tube Ampeg weighs 70lbs and is roundabout 1500 at least.
Quote by IndianRockStar
But regardless, a 300 watt tube Ampeg weighs 70lbs and is roundabout 1500 at least.

It's worst than that... at least 80 pounds, I've heard 85, and it's $1,599 unless you can haggle. That must be their minimum advertised price given to the dealers. The Carvin has 4 times the power, is only $600 ($1,000 cheaper!), and weighs 23 pounds.

Ijust keep hearing that it's rather flat, reproducing exactly what your bass gives it, not adding hardly anything to the tone at all. Could be good or bad I guess.

I do wish that Carvin 1200 was rack mountable.
Quote by corndogggy
It's worst than that... at least 80 pounds, I've heard 85, and it's $1,599 unless you can haggle. That must be their minimum advertised price given to the dealers. The Carvin has 4 times the power, is only $600 ($1,000 cheaper!), and weighs 23 pounds.

Ijust keep hearing that it's rather flat, reproducing exactly what your bass gives it, not adding hardly anything to the tone at all. Could be good or bad I guess.

I do wish that Carvin 1200 was rack mountable.

IIRC, you can get the BX1200 in a rackmount version. The whole wattage thing doesn't REALLY matter, as the Ampeg will be almost as loud at least as the Carvin, and both are ridiculous amounts of volume. To get an idea of how a transparent amp sounds, go try out a Markbass or GK. Both amps have a character, as does a Carvin, but it is less defined, and will give you kind of an idea of the kind of sound of a Carvin, not exact though.
Can cabinets of this caliber be toned down enough to be used as a practice amp in your house? Just wondering if I could sell my other amp and use that cash. I'm just afraid it would be too loud, keep the wife and kids up at night.
lol all the posts in this thread are me, Bales, and corndogggy.

But to answer your question yeah you can turn it down. These aren't tube amps where you have to crank them to get the best sound. Hell a good tube amp doesn't even need to be cranked to sound good.
I guess, that if I'm honest with myself, I'm probably looking for something thoughtful and unique more than anything. This past Saturday I went to an outside beer garden thing with my wife and watched a 3-man band. The bassist had a full 8x10 Ampeg stack with their full tube amp. It was sky high, and he said he had to pay $3,500 for it all after shipping, and had to have two people haul it around. He sounded good, but his playing really wasn't very impressive, I mean, he mostly played root notes, quarter notes was about as fast as he played, and he still used a pick. Being a bass player, it just seemed like he was trying to throw money at his lack of playing ability. I think I'm better than him but I still don't want to be looked at like that, so I was looking for something that was smaller yet still had the same huge sound.
Last edited by corndogggy at Jun 10, 2008,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
If you want individuality Ampeg is not the right area. What you want is a GK or Carvin or MarkBass or Hartke. A fairly transparent amp that lets YOU make YOUR tone.

Exactly, I'm also considering buying the bx1200 hundred, and the thing that most attracts me is the vast amount of sound tweaking options. As a bass player i want to be able to produce the right tone for the right genre and situation. I like ampeg as well, it sounds good and is dependable, but as many have stated its tone is just not as shapable. I want the ability to mold my sound into something that is unique and fits how I play and how I feel.
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
I just ordered this setup last night. I'll let you guys know what it sounds like when it comes in. My only concern is that in the picture, the walls of the cab look thin, so i just hope it is rugged and stable. The EQ does seem pretty crazy, and I wish it had the simplicity of the B1500. Ah well...

Disclaimer: I prefer a transparent amp, instead of the ones that have their own sound.

I haven't played MarkBass amps yet. Anyone have an opinion? I like the way they look.
They're so amazingly amazing. Probably my favourite amp I've ever tried. It's a happy medium between GK and Ampeg. It's not so sterile as GK, but it also doesn't have such a freakishly obstinate character like Ampeg.
Adding to what jazz said, their Little Mark 2 weighs like 6 pounds. Everthying they make is light enough to be hauled by one guy depending on how strong he is except their classic series. Also their standard series is surprisingly compact.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
If you want individuality Ampeg is not the right area. What you want is a GK or Carvin or MarkBass or Hartke. A fairly transparent amp that lets YOU make YOUR tone.

Or you could buy a tube amp with unusual tonal characteristics (aka, not Ampeg) if that's what you're into, the Fender Bassman 300, Traynor YBA200, and new Peavey tour-vb2 are all different. (I've been told the YBA200 sound more like an old high wattage bassman, while the new bassman is a bit different as it's a Sunn design. At any rate, those two are quite different from an ampeg, though I couldn't tell you about the peavey. "transparent" isn't for everyone, so think about things carefully.

Also, if you have to drive three hours each way to check out amps for a $1000+ purchase, big deal. Lots of us are in the same boat, $50 in gas is worth getting some hands on time with the amps you're looking at.

edit* my traynor all tube head is only around 40lbs