Page 1 of 2
i was just wondering what styles are they good for. i like metal and hard rock, do you think theyed be good for that? i think they look a little too country
They're good for posing about with in tight jeans like the faux-indie twat that so many people are.

They're also good for covering Rolling Stones songs. Aaaaaannnddd... that's about it, for traditional Teles anyway. Some Teles have been used in metal and other genres with modifications, but the standard light-bodied two single coil Tele isn't exactly the most versatile instrument in the world.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
used by alot of indie bands these days...... and avril lavigne meh
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
i know a guy who modded teles for hard rock, just get one routed for a bridge humbucker.
and that guy from stone sour used one didnt he?
Quote by stephen_rettie
i know a guy who modded teles for hard rock, just get one routed for a bridge humbucker.
and that guy from stone sour used one didnt he?

and slipknot (his names Jim Root)
You can use 'em for a lot of different things.

Break a mold, do your own thing.

John5
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Good for indie. You could pull it off with metal if you got one with humbuckers. Kirk Hammett plays one for "Am I Evil" live. His is clear with blue liquid in it though.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
(Progressive Metal is) like playing Nirvana, but faster, with little or no powerchords, cleanly, with more technique, and complex time signatures.

Yeah the John5 that people have been showing is a specific model you can buy right from Fender.
yeah.. it`s called the wavecaster. that hammett guitar.....
It`s sad but true.
You can get a great, clean, crisp, bluesy sound out of them. I know a guitarist with one and while the stuff he plays is fairly typical blues rock, the tele makes it sound awesome.

Plus they can look great imo.
Quote by MoshMaster101
You can get a great, clean, crisp, bluesy sound out of them. I know a guitarist with one and while the stuff he plays is fairly typical blues rock, the tele makes it sound awesome.

Plus they can look great imo.

whats imo???????
You can use any guitar for anything, don't be tied down by what anyone else does.

I've used them to get country, blues, rock, metal, indie and jazz tones. Just today I got a far better solo tone out of it when recording than with the Ibanez Prestige that was next to it. Nice and thick even!
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
jimmy page and billy gibbons use them
theres your hard rock
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
if u mod a tele u could get a cool metal tone but still u'd have to spend a lot of money on it, i would just get a metal guitar like a jackson or ibanez or whatever u like because a stock tele would work great only for classic rock,countryand blues. i personally don't like the tele even for classic rock, i hate those single coils on it, much rather prefer a strat.
What is it with everyone saying "lolz teles are ok for metal if u put hubukers in themz". I play my own handbuilt Tele with two single coil pickups and I can get any brutal tone I want.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Most people who say "you need to mod before you get [such a tone]" bollocks.
Single coils just sound a bit more "raw" than humbuckers, which IMO, does hardrock a lot better!
feast your eyes on this
this might be exactly what your looking for...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-John-J5-Telecaster-HHH-Electric-Guitar?sku=512571
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Depending on what you do with it, anything.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Quote by bi-ah!
feast your eyes on this
this might be exactly what your looking for...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-John-J5-Telecaster-HHH-Electric-Guitar?sku=512571

That is a really nice guitar. I've always wanted one of those. I guess the only problem I've ever had with Teles and metal is the 22 and 21 fret necks.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
indie crap, coupled with lycra jeans and an emo fringe

country

if you listen to bill frisell, Jazz

blues

haven't seen a metal band use on yet
lol@u
ummm, led zep, mark knopfler i believe, billy gibbons, john5, keith richards......
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.
my guitar teacher once told me it is the only guitar he has ever owned that he could throw through a wardrobe and it'd still be in tune when he picked in up again

i want to know what the hell made him do that lol

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom Horn
my guitar teacher once told me it is the only guitar he has ever owned that he could throw through a wardrobe and it'd still be in tune when he picked in up again

i want to know what the hell made him do that lol

I think it's fair to say that after you throw a Tele through a wardrope, it'll be more in tune and the intonation will be sorted.

They're invincible.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
true, apparantly, when he was a playing in his band, this particular guitar died when the drummer drove over his case,

so not that invincible... but he said it all worked out ok because he ended up with a 50's strat and a 58' LP afterwards.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by slayer1516
There no good for metal

That means 90% of this forum will hate them

Modified:

90% percent of this forum plays metal and thinks you need a piece of crap like Ibanez or ESP to play metal. Therefore, that group will hate them.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Tele's were used for twang, i.e. country. Since then, it's been used in classic rock, my friend uses it for psychobilly/rockabilly/surf, a lot of indie bands use them, Jim Root and John5 use them.

They're just a jack of all trades kind of guitar.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
The original electric blues - Muddy Waters was done on a tele.
Plenty of early rock and roll, though I have heard it was because at the time Teles were much cheaper than Les Pauls, I think somewhere in the range of 50 dollars compared to the 200 something for a Les Paul, so alot of players used them, and the sound stuck.

Country. Need I say more?

They get great jazz tones out of the neck position, such a warm woody sound for a single coil. Also used by plenty of gigging jazz session musicians in the 50s and 60s because they were often jumping between jazz sessions and country sessions so needed the sound of both, hence the thinline tele and telecasters with humbuckers in the neck.

Modern Indie - the tone and songwriting is a hearken back to the 60's, so everyone is jumping on Teles, Strats and AC30s, and they are playing in a modernised version of 60's rock.

Teles are about the most basic and clean a guitar can get. No extra wiring, just two slabs of wood with some pickups in it. They have a very clear, revealing tone. If you suck at what you're doing with it, you'll sound terrible on a tele.
they were originally the country and western guitar. in fact the bridge pickup for them originally came out of fenders lap steel. now there used for everything, country, jazz, RnB, Rock, even metal.
jimmy page used one for the solo to stairway to heaven, not to mention on the entire first zeppelin album. rolling stones use them, black crowes, GE Smith, Muddy Waters.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by TimmyPage06
The original electric blues - Muddy Waters was done on a tele.
Plenty of early rock and roll, though I have heard it was because at the time Teles were much cheaper than Les Pauls, I think somewhere in the range of 50 dollars compared to the 200 something for a Les Paul, so alot of players used them, and the sound stuck.

Country. Need I say more?

They get great jazz tones out of the neck position, such a warm woody sound for a single coil. Also used by plenty of gigging jazz session musicians in the 50s and 60s because they were often jumping between jazz sessions and country sessions so needed the sound of both, hence the thinline tele and telecasters with humbuckers in the neck.

Modern Indie - the tone and songwriting is a hearken back to the 60's, so everyone is jumping on Teles, Strats and AC30s, and they are playing in a modernised version of 60's rock.

Teles are about the most basic and clean a guitar can get. No extra wiring, just two slabs of wood with some pickups in it. They have a very clear, revealing tone. If you suck at what you're doing with it, you'll sound terrible on a tele.

Hell yes, they get a great jazz tone. Mike Stern and Bill Frisell prove that.
Teles kick ass! They'll give you a real twangy sound on the bridge. Apparently the neck gives you a good sound too There's really only a few guitars that I can tell by the sound and the tele is one of them
Page 1 of 2