I was wondering if there are guitar classes out there that deal with the technical things of guitars, amps, and other guitar-related accessories. I feel like there's so much to know about strings, trem systems, amps, guitar maintenance, etc., and i know very little. I don't even know how to change strings... i've had ppl tell me how to change them but i've never actually seen it done right in front of me. I want to learn enough so that if something happens to my guitar or amp i can fix it myself instead of relying on other ppl.
You can't change strings? I hate to sound patronising but it's really not hard. Do you have a guitar with a trem? Or with a fixed bridge?

Fixed bridge, you basically unwind it, take it off, and then do the opposite when putting the new one on. Next time you need to change them, just give it a try.

If you have a trem, look up the "how to set up a tremolo" thread, it's got a really great step by step guide of how to do it.

To answer the question, I'm not sure if there are lessons to teach you this kinda stuff, most people just pick it up from reading articles and threads on here and stuff.

Sorry if that was no help at all.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
the best way to learn is to just do it. unless you have the opportunity to apprentice with a luthier or something, get a beater guitar and mess with it. it's worth it in the long run, and most of it is pretty simple, you just need to build up the confidence so you're not worried about ruining your best guitar.
I suggest you purchase all the books you can and be best friends with looking stuff up on google. Because as far as i know there isnt a school for it.

I lucked out and had a prior electronic background so the only thing i really had to learn was how to perform a proper setup and then i developed my on tricks along the way.

And even people that know how to setup there own stuff still send it into someone. The guitarist in the band i tech for has been playing and setting up his own stuff for 18 years but still hands me his guitars because he prefers how i set them up.
Quote by jambi_mantra
You can't change strings? I hate to sound patronising but it's really not hard. Do you have a guitar with a trem? Or with a fixed bridge?

Fixed bridge, you basically unwind it, take it off, and then do the opposite when putting the new one on. Next time you need to change them, just give it a try.

If you have a trem, look up the "how to set up a tremolo" thread, it's got a really great step by step guide of how to do it.

To answer the question, I'm not sure if there are lessons to teach you this kinda stuff, most people just pick it up from reading articles and threads on here and stuff.

Sorry if that was no help at all.

I have a Fender Strat with a basic tremolo system... I looked up that thread but couldn't find it lol... Btw how do i know what kind of strings to get (brand, gauge, etc.)?