I started playing guitar at Christmas last year, so about 5-6 months. At the time, my Dad gave me his old guitar book (he never played much, it was a gift when he went to Hong Kong with the army). It's from 1975, but it's really helped me. It has, what I assumed at the time, all of the chords. They are CDEFGAB inc.# and b's, and they are Major, Minor, Seventh, Diminished, Augmented, Major 6th, Minor 6th and Ninth.

Anyway, so far I've learnt all of the Major/Minor/Sevenths, and then I checked out this site. I've seen new things like Fsus2, whatever that means.

My questions are: What chords should I learn next (preferable from the book) and is it worth learning the 'sus' ones and the 'add' ones, whatever they mean.

Cheers for any help.
ninths are cool for funk and stuff so I'd say those. Sus is short for suspended. If they were in there, I'd say learn those since they can be pretty cool. Actually, hit up www.chordfind.com for all of those sus chords and then learn some split chords like C/E
Sweeping is for n00bs. I've moved on to vacuuming. Eventually I'll even try steam cleaning.

Bitches don't know
if you've learned all the major and minor chords... i wouldn't recommend really sitting down and memorizing suspended, augmented, diminished, etc. chords. i would recommend studying music theory at this point. this will teach you why a suspended chord is a suspended chord and will teach you how to construct any suspended chord. this way instead of just memorizing a set of fingerings, you are actually learning something about music and you will not be limited to simply the set of finerings you memorized.

once you learn a little theory and some simple rules, you will be able to construct nearly any chord you see anywhere. compare it to memorizing the small multiplication tables when you were a kid. we memorized everything from 1x1 to 12x12. this is like memorizing the major and minor chords. but when you get past 12x12... instead of memorizing the product of every two numbers, you learned a method to calculate something like 143x78. in music, theory is this method. it's much more beneficial to learn the theory to build chords the same way it is much more beneficial to learn the method to calculate the product of two numbers.
Cheers. I'll take a start on the 9th chords and then the music theory.

Thanks again.
well said jimtaka
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
yes jimtaka is usually a source of reason and has experience beyond his years he also doesnt get emotional in his posts or in heated threads good things for a mod (but i just think its because he is in the great state on tennessee i miss myself) long story short take his avice.
Quote by damm_punks
well said jimtaka

+100
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Quote by jimtaka
if you've learned all the major and minor chords... i wouldn't recommend really sitting down and memorizing suspended, augmented, diminished, etc. chords. i would recommend studying music theory at this point. this will teach you why a suspended chord is a suspended chord and will teach you how to construct any suspended chord. this way instead of just memorizing a set of fingerings, you are actually learning something about music and you will not be limited to simply the set of finerings you memorized.

once you learn a little theory and some simple rules, you will be able to construct nearly any chord you see anywhere. compare it to memorizing the small multiplication tables when you were a kid. we memorized everything from 1x1 to 12x12. this is like memorizing the major and minor chords. but when you get past 12x12... instead of memorizing the product of every two numbers, you learned a method to calculate something like 143x78. in music, theory is this method. it's much more beneficial to learn the theory to build chords the same way it is much more beneficial to learn the method to calculate the product of two numbers.

wow very very well put sir.