Quick question for you guys. When i played a couple of years ago I learned to form the G chord using my ring middle and index finger. Now the learning video I have is telling me to form it using my pinky, ring and middle finger and im in the processes of unlearning the way I was taught and learning it this way but its extremely hard to do. My question is which way is best? and If i keep my old way will I run into trouble later on with chords or anything??
Do a couple of things always when playing guitar:

Play whats comfortable for you, and what sounds better to you. Feel free to try as many ways as you like, but its all down to what you prefer at the end of the day.
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
keep on doing it how you used to. I've never seen a g-chord fingered that way ever.
Sweeping is for n00bs. I've moved on to vacuuming. Eventually I'll even try steam cleaning.

Bitches don't know
just do it the way u feels best. dont get told what to do.
SEX!

Now I have your attention, witness the awesomeness that is my sig

Quote by GuitarManDan15
win

Free Dean V To Loving Home
o yeaaaa ive seen this way on a video its so you can change to a C and whatever easier

im sure it's becoming like the new way to play it or somethin

but no i would stick to the way you do it...

its not particularly hard changin chords anyway is it?
|--|--|-4|--|
|--|--|--|-- |
|--|--|--|-- |
|--|--|--|-- |
|--|1|--|-- |
|--|--|-2|--|

Thats the correct fingering with 1 starting at your pointer finger and 4 being your pinky.
Last edited by B. Jammin at Jun 9, 2008,
I form a G chord using all 4 fingers. Index finger on low e on 3rd fret, middle finger on A on 2nd fret, ring finger on B string 3rd fret and pinkie on E string, 3rd fret. I've found that this sounds much better than the 2 fingered G chord.
Quote by B. Jammin
|--|--|-4|--|
|--|--|--|-- |
|--|--|--|-- |
|--|--|--|-- |
|--|1|--|-- |
|--|--|-2|--|

Thats the correct fingering with 1 starting at your pointer finger and 4 being your pinky.

That's the most complicated G I've ever seen. 2,3,4 is much better than that because it allows you to go to C easier. I prefer 1,2,3 because it was the way I seen everyone else playing it, so naturally, I learned G that way. I suppose I could have learned to play with my pinky, as it would have strengthened it quicker, but just do whatever works best for you.
Thanks for all the advice! I started back playing about 2 weeks ago and this little problem is slowing me down so now I am happy again. THANKS
Quote by GeeDee
That's the most complicated G I've ever seen. 2,3,4 is much better than that because it allows you to go to C easier. I prefer 1,2,3 because it was the way I seen everyone else playing it, so naturally, I learned G that way. I suppose I could have learned to play with my pinky, as it would have strengthened it quicker, but just do whatever works best for you.

sorry, I should have said it was the way I prefer to do it, not the correct way. This gives the three best fingerings: http://www.torvund.net/guitar/index.php?page=Fr_G-chord

P.S. Using 1,2,4 also gives easy access to an alternative G voicing by fretting the B string at the 3rd fret with your 3rd finger.
Last edited by B. Jammin at Jun 9, 2008,
Joshanders86, as you become more proficient at chords and different chord voicings, you might want to think about sticking with the 2,3,4, version of G as suggested above. The reason is clear; it will allow you a faster and smoother transition to barre chords from the G because your forefinger (#1 finger) will be free to initiate the barre chord formation at whatever fret is called for next in the chord progression. Not only that, but there are some chord progressions that require you to make use of your forefinger at the B and/or high E string, 1st or 2nd fret. G, C, D for example. If you use the 2,3,4 fingers for G, then it's a snap to pop over to the C chord as your fingers are almost in the correct position already, then from C to D. Another could be G, F, C. Again, your forefinger is free'd up to make the change fast and smooth. Just a little more food for thought for you. And good luck in your return to guitaring. I did it myself a few years ago after about a 10 yr hiatus, and haven't regretted a single second of it.
The G with your pinky makes it easier to transition between other chords, but for some it's impossible to do it. Like me. My pinky and ring finger aren't independent, and can't stretch as far as I'd like them to.
my guitar teacher taught me to do the g-chord using the pinky, ring, and middle, but i always found it super hard to play, then i stopped doing that and just used my middle and index finger, so basically its just up to you for comfort, but when i questioned my guitar teacher about that, he said its basically so you get used to stretching your fingers around and you wont be all stiff, this was when i FIRST started to learn to play.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
i myself dont use my pinky at all on the G chord but i do use my thumb on the e string which confuse the hell out of people when they see me play

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal