this is kind of a noobish question, but i need to know: i just bought an ibanez RG120 (actually really good for a $200 guitar). anyway, i'm planning to use it for D standard/drop C exclusively, and when i bought it, the salesguy told me i need to get it set up for the heavier string gauge (i'm using .11s). so, does that mean the action gets raised or lowered, or what? thanks in advance
My Rig:

Schecter C-1+
Washburn X12QVS
Ibanez RG7321
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic-Electric
Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Crate Practice Amp
Marshall G80CDR
Maxon OD808
...he prly didnt know what he was saying?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
^thats entirley possible (i was at GC). but still i don't want to screw up this guitar, having just gotten it and all
My Rig:

Schecter C-1+
Washburn X12QVS
Ibanez RG7321
Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Crate Practice Amp
Marshall G80CDR
Maxon OD808
if you are using drop tunings then yes you want heavier gauge strings - I use 11's and play as low as C standard. In terms of action, you shouldn't see a difference regardless of what tuning you are in, or what string gauge you use - it would be quite minimal

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by Tyler Durden
if you are using drop tunings then yes you want heavier gauge strings - I use 11's and play as low as C standard. In terms of action, you shouldn't see a difference regardless of what tuning you are in, or what string gauge you use - it would be quite minimal

+1

Drop tuning with skinnier strings leaves you with less string tension, or "flappy strings", which can be very unpleasant to play.

As for the action, you may actually percieve it as lower, since the strings are (negligably) closer to the fretboard. If your action was set perfectly for the 11s though, you may want to raise it by half a millimeter if you get buzzing.
You may need some adjustments with heavier strings. Odds are you will need some saddle adjustments to intone the strings so they are in tune all over the neck. This is not a result of heavier strings just a general setup thing.

You may need a truss rod adjustment as the sting tension likely changed a bit with the new strings.

Whether or not I'd take it to a pro to do is another matter though, is it worth paying out on a low end guitar?
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
thanks for all the input you guys; if i see any problems, maybe then i'll do some work on it, but until then its alright as is.
My Rig:

Schecter C-1+
Washburn X12QVS
Ibanez RG7321
Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Crate Practice Amp
Marshall G80CDR
Maxon OD808