Page 1 of 2
There was this one metal band I was listening to and they had a slap bassist. I never would have imagined metal with slap would sound good, but it was one of the most interesting things I have ever heard. Me being the idiot I am, I forgot the name of the band. Does anyone know of a metal band that does this? Thanks
...shun the nonbeliever...
Atheist has some slap in it in places but more than that I really can't think of right now.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
There might be some slap bass in Cannibal Corpse.

There's a band called Psychostick (most of their stuff is metalcore though) and they used to have an amazing bassist who did a lot slapping.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
There might be some slap bass in Cannibal Corpse.

There's a band called Psychostick (most of their stuff is metalcore though) and they used to have an amazing bassist who did a lot slapping.

I'm pretty sure Kill has a song with a part that's slapped. On the instrumental track...

And, Opeth had a few slapping parts on their first two albums.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I slap a lot...
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
korn have quite a bit of slap..
although its Nu-metal it sitll has metal in the nme.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Quote by dubes216
and Primus has some heavy stuff

Larry LaLonde was in Possessed, so I say kinda metal
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Primus's music is weak though the bassist is sick.
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
Quote by dubes216
Tool!!!!

Not metal, and no slap bass either.

Quote by Lamrick21
Primus's music is weak

Please cut your ears off, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by Scourge441

+1 Primus OWN!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Overkill. early to mid 90's thrash i think.. if it wasn't slapped.. at least had a pretty bright tone.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Scourge441
Not metal, and no slap bass either.

Score, opinion is forbidden
Primus own (but aren't metal), Suicidal Tendencies use it but aren't metal, CC doesn't have Slap Bass (at least none that i could hear, and i've listened to them religiously) Athiest does it some (but not often) and the only band i know of that exclusively uses it is Cryptopsy.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Nobody's mentioned Unexpect. They have some of the most obnoxiously loud slap bass parts.
I've found Jesus
Psyopus uses slapping, but on the subject of Primus, hell yes. Back when Larry and Les were in a thrash metal band called "Blind Illusion" I'm pretty sure he slapped the bass every now and then. At least I assume so, I've only heard 2 songs from their only album since I can never find it...
You should check out "Sacrifice Unto Sebek" by Nile. I can't think of any other songs in their repertoire that have slapping, but that one song has a cool part about a minute in.
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
Quote by diminishedtobme
Cryptopsy on every album(avoid the new one), On "Blasphemy Made Flesh" the bass is lounder than the guitars.

yeah, the guitars are only properly audiable in the solos haha, but it's my favorite Cryptopsy album though, amazing, despite the vols, I actually quite like it like that.
I believe there's a little bass interlude in Slit Your Guts that has slap bass. It's one of my favourite bits before that passage explodes into a breakdown-like section so often associated with what made NSV good in the first place. Eric is a great bassist.
I've found Jesus
Skewered have some orgasmic slap bass parts.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=134582466

The song Alleged Protector, about a minute in..awesome.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Beneath The massacre. You can't really hear it, but when i saw the live, he was clearly slapping, and you can see it clearly in the videos of them live
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Quote by Contraband
Nobody's mentioned Unexpect. They have some of the most obnoxiously loud slap bass parts.

damn, i forgot about them.

Quote by destroy_techno
Infectious Grooves uses loads of slapping

good, but Funk.

Quote by Contraband
I believe there's a little bass interlude in Slit Your Guts that has slap bass. It's one of my favourite bits before that passage explodes into a breakdown-like section so often associated with what made NSV good in the first place. Eric is a great bassist.

All (or at the least almost all) of the bass on that album is slapped.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by destroy_techno
They are a bit funk metal-ish no?

But, yeah I'll admit, not really metal

I guess they are, but they still aren't metal. Still, their bass is great.
So I guess the answer to the question in the first place is...
Most metal bands where the bassist uses his fingers instead of a pick, you will see slapping/popping every now and then.
Quote by TheMantipede
So I guess the answer to the question in the first place is...
Most metal bands where the bassist uses his fingers instead of a pick, you will see slapping/popping every now and then.

...No. They are totally different skills. I can play finger style (not well, but i can play it well enough to cover your average metal song) But i can't slap for ****. They aren't related at all. In fact, it's just as easy to slap while holding a pick as while not.
Quote by The Evil Hat
...No. They are totally different skills. I can play finger style (not well, but i can play it well enough to cover your average metal song) But i can't slap for ****. They aren't related at all. In fact, it's just as easy to slap while holding a pick as while not.

umm.. WHAT?

I'm a bassist, but I can't slap while holding a pick at all...

Wouldn't you drop it when you have to use the thumb for slaps and index for pops?
Page 1 of 2