Hi there,

I just bought my m-audio audiophile 2496 today. I installed it and all whent well, but now I have a problem. Whenever I make a track in Sonar or whatever and click play, I dont get any sound. I suspect this is because I dont have any speakers hooked up to my Audiophile soundcard, but instead there still on my onboard soundcard. The problem however is, that I have a Creative subwoofer system that has one left and one right speaker, and an audio cable (one that would fit into a standard iPod headphone slot for reference) that acts as the audio in/output. My audiophile card doesnt have a standard audio output (only the left and right speaker ones) so now I cant connect my subwoofer to it. Whenever I just connect my speakers to it and leave the subwoofer audio cable in the onboard soundcard input, it sounds like crap.

Any ideas on what to do?
My Gear:

Guitars:
Ibanez RG 7 EXFX (27'' scale, 2x EMG 707)

Amp:
Mesa/Boogie Studio .20 Caliber

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
you have to set up your recording program to reference the new 2496 as its new in and out points.

also make sure the sliders are all at 100% in the new task manager mixer.

Here are my settings from Sonar 7 Producer:

Open Sonar and click "Options" then select "Audio"

General tab:
Playback Timing Master: Delta AP 1/2
Record Timing Master: Delta AP Monitor

The connections on this card are not all that great TBH.
What I do is I run the output to a set of studio monitors (they each have one RCA intput on the back) and then the input is fed with a small mixer. If you need monitors, you can get a set of new KRK RP5s for just $200 these days.

You need some type of mixer or preamp for the input as this card doesn't have on board preamps.
As for connecting standard PC speakers, I advise just going with monitors but if needed, you can get an Dual RCA to TRS cable.

You'll need the following connectors to get audio to your standard PC speakers:

Hosa Stereo Y-cable Mini Male-Two RCA Males
1/8" Stereo Coupler
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 9, 2008,
Ah thanks a million mate, I figured the Y cable might do the trick but I wasn't completely sure. Do I need both of those or just the Y cable? Because I cant figure out what I would have to do with the 1/8'' stereo coupler lol.

Also, do I need to disable my other soundcard? Like just disable in the hardware options or uninstall the drivers or w/e (if so, how do you uninstall the drivers <_<.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amp:

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Sorry for the double post (my IE doesnt like the edit button apperantly) but can someone also tell me if its possible to raise the recording volume without raising my amp volume? Its really really soft at the moment, and I dont want to put my amp above 4 (which is its ideal recording setting according to mesa) because it will rape my ears, headphone wise that is.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amp:

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Last edited by JaeSwift at Jun 10, 2008,
Your interface should have pre-amps on the first 8 channels (I think) which should be adjustable. All you have to do is crank the pre-amps.

Around 1/3rd to 3/4 headroom on the track in your software is a pretty good guide for incoming volume.
And where would one adjust the headroom?
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amp:

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
This interface just has 4 RCA inputs, no preamps on board...

As for the cables, you need both because you need that coupler to get the PC speaker cable connected to the joined end of the Y cable.

As for upping the volume, I'll normally select the part that need some more gain (simple Left click it), "Process" - "Audio" - "Normalize" and I'll select the -2dB from the drop down list. However, you need to run a preamp between your interface card and the microphone. As I said before, I run a small mixer and run the record out line (RCA connection) to the cards input.

When micing anything or recording, I'll aim to get the level at about -10 on my meter and then ill boost it up if needed. Doing this keeps preamp hiss out of the mix too since you are not turning it up too much.

oh and yes, disable your stock sound card drivers before installing the new card.
Then select your new card drivers as the default though the control panel in Windows.

I found that this card (as least in my PC) wont let me use any of the stock cards I have in there anyways...all audio runs though this 2496 now which is nice anyways since my other sound card sucked...
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 10, 2008,
Right, I pretty much have everything configured now. I still need to screw around a bit with the volume levels of my recording, but after that I'll be all set to properly start recording my songs. On a side note I can use both my soundcards if I want (which is handy because my Realtek HD card has a mic preamp, which I use for skype so im not completely voice-less =p). I only needed the 2 rca to 1 3.5 mm stereo cable, as the stereo cable goes into my subwoofer and the 2 rca outputs into the soundcard.

Thanks a lot for the input, you really helped me to get this up and running.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amp:

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
no, most of the time you wont be able to use both cards.
I would have liked to do this for my rig so I could keep my PC speakers plugged in at all times but the m-audio card disabled my stock card and wont let it reinable while its reinstalled.
Quote by moody07747
no, most of the time you wont be able to use both cards.
I would have liked to do this for my rig so I could keep my PC speakers plugged in at all times but the m-audio card disabled my stock card and wont let it reinable while its reinstalled.

Actually, I've never not been able to use both cards >_> When playing games I have both on and it works fine.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amp:

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX