ok so the thing is that ive got a marshall mg50dfx. I know everyone hates it but i dont think its really bad. The only problem is that no matter what i do i cant get that really heavy, metal crunch(metallica, pantera etc etc.) Ive tried fiddling witht the eq, gain, volume, effects, pickups, guitars but nothing works

Please suggest something but keep in mind that i dont have a lot of cash so i cant buy a new amp. Any help would be apprieciated. Thanks
Not going to happen my friend. The last thing I want to do is rain on your parade, but that amp simply won't do what you want.

You need a new amp plain and simple.
Im afraid to say the MG series doesn't ever crunch, it only fizzes. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but you really should not invest money into your current amp. You should instead invest in a better tube amp.

However, if you REALLY want to get a pedal or something, go for an EHX Metal Muff.
all iv heared is bad things about mgs, and that they are basically like practice amps but louder so the sound quality is terrible, maybe try getting a new amp from what iv heared.
I'd set up your flaming shield now if i were you :p

Anyway, i'll ty and be helpful.
A pedal would be ideal, something like a metal muff works quite well with an MG tbh, will get you close to those sounds, there's no point to an overdrive pedal on an MG, it sounds crap.

Other than that there's nothing you havn't tried. personally the EQ should give you want you want, turn the treb + bass to about 2-3 o clock and then roll the mids back. That makes it sound okay
Thank u everyone but the thing is like i said i cant afford a new amp at the moment but ill start saving. And TomR ill try ur EQ tip or ill get the metal muff. Thanks everyone
A band I saw a while ago, got quite good heavy sounds out of MGs, they were using the Vox valve preamp distortion boxes. And it really did sound good. If you can afford it, go for one of those, though I can't for the life of me remember which one it was. But otherwise, try the metal muff.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...