Page 1 of 2
A friend of mine who is a professional musician is selling a three year-old Les Paul Classic for only $1,200. The original price was about $3,200 and he says it's hardly been played at all (once on stage and a few times during practice). He bought it just because he was blowing the money. He likes PRS guitars more than any other make but he was on a spending spree one day and bought the Les Paul for the heck of it but just never got into playing it that much (too heavy, the sound wasn't what he was looking for, etc.)

Anyway, assuming this guitar is in the condition it is in, is $1,200 a fair price? That sounds like a steal to me ($2,200 or so seems like the fair market value for it). I've know this guy for three years and we actually work together so I really doubt that he's going to rip me off. I just thought I would ask the experts here to be safe.

Thanks for any advice!
Try it out, if it feels and sounds good, buy it.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
You do know you can get a much better guitar for cheaper than any Les Paul, right? Like a Fender Jazzmaster or an Ibanez, yeah, I suggest those stead of any damn Les Paul.
Quote by CobenBlack
the experts here? most people on here are 14 and haven't played the things they have an opinion on!

the above advice is good though. try it out. theres no better way than that to find out.

LOL...thanks. Yeh, Gronis is right...the sound and feel are all that matters...not so much the name and everything.
Quote by Metallist65
You do know you can get a much better guitar for cheaper than any Les Paul, right? Like a Fender Jazzmaster or an Ibanez, yeah, I suggest those stead of any damn Les Paul.

Ooooohhhh...them's fightin' words Mister!

Would you use a Fender Jazzmaster for metal though?
Last edited by stevem326 at Jun 9, 2008,
Quote by Metallist65

while you can get better for cheaper when its full price (i hate gibsons for overpricing - jimmy page model $8000 - freakin stupid, i could have a guitar handuilt out of walnut burl for less than that), the price he's been told for it is really good if it is in good cond
For that price, it's definitely worth giving a test run. Try it and if you think that it's worth the money, then that's all that matters.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Aren't classics $1999.99 new? I don't know where he is pulling $3200 from.

Good price though!
High as tits
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
Aren't classics $1999.99 new? I don't know where he is pulling $3200 from.

Good price though!

17 actually, I played one at GC the other day...jesus, I loved it.
If you like the feel of a Les Paul, go try it out! Les Paul Classics can be really nice guitars, I have one. I don't regret buying it at all.

It's a pretty good price for a Gibson Les Paul Classic though, the only Gibson Les Pauls I've seen cheaper were used Studios and Specials, which aren't as good.

Quote by Suicidal_Brick
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Classic-Electric-Guitar?sku=512001

$1999.99 :\. They also went up in price, I remember when they were 17.

Hey, thanks a lot for everyone's replies. I'm so glad I asked you all for advice. I didn't even realize a new Classic was $1,999. Knowing this, I think if I decided on a Les Paul I'd just go with a new Classic instead of the one that's three years-old from my friend. I'm not sure where he got the $3,200 figure from. Maybe he was just really dumb the day he bought it and paid full retail price

Anyway, thanks again. The Ultimate Guitar Forum and all the 14 year-olds here saved the day again!
Oh, okay...so the older ones are built better then? Sort of like the quality with a lot of things these days isn't what it used to be? Okay...I'll definitely play a new one and the '05 one before I make up my mind. Thanks for that tip!
Last edited by stevem326 at Jun 9, 2008,
Well with a lot of older gear, they sound better than when they were new. Because they're "broken-in" I think is what the term is called...? I'm not sure, but my old guitar teacher showed me that. That's why I always look at vintage gear!

At least check it out!
yeah les paul classics are pretty sweet
Epiphone LP, SD Alnico 2 Neck, Pearly Gates bridge, Ibanez S series.
Marshall VM2266c, Marshall JVM410H + 1936c, Marshall MG100DFX
Vox Tonelab ST, Boss GT-8, Korg Ax1500g.
MXR Classic Distortion, MXR 10band EQ, Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by stevem326
Oh, okay...so the older ones are built better then? Sort of like the quality with a lot of things these days isn't what it used to be? Okay...I'll definitely play a new one and the '05 one before I make up my mind. Thanks for that tip!

There won't be much difference, if any, over those years. But, this guitar is cheaper (quite substantially) and you will have been played in. When a guitar gets used a bit, the neck starts to feel nicer and the whole guitar just plays more naturally. A new guitar can feel stiff by comparison.

To be honest, there is no point in EVER buying a guitar from new. None. Asides from a warantee, but guitars are simple things that are easy to fix, so that doesn't bother me either.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Thanks again to everyone for all of the replies...this is really useful info. I'm going to look at the '05 one later this week and will then go play a new one to try and compare the two. I'll post back with other questions if I have them.

Thanks again...this forum is great
$1200 is pretty good price for a Classic. The guitar itself could be quite heavy as it's not chambered like the post '06 models, but many argue tonally non-chambered Les Pauls are better. If it's included with the original Gibson hardcase and is in great conditions with no major faults or repairs, then I'd snap it up on the spot.
I am pretty sure the new classics are also being chambered, whereas the older ones are not, meaning they are heavier, but also have that sustain LP's are famous for.
High as tits
Quote by Hemani Co
$1200 is pretty good price for a Classic. The guitar itself could be quite heavy as it's not chambered like the post '06 models, but many argue tonally non-chambered Les Pauls are better. If it's included with the original Gibson hardcase and is in great conditions with no major faults or repairs, then I'd snap it up on the spot.

I haven't played it yet but the guy selling it did say it's very heavy (part of the reason he's selling it) so it must not be chambered...and he did say the sustain is great (almost like a Les Paul Standard). It has the original Gibson hardcase and has only been played on stage once and a few times in practice according to him. It sounds like it's just been sitting around for a long time. He has three PRS's and two high-end accoustics that he plays more than anything else. So, I'll definitely check it out later this week and then play an '08 model to try to compare.
after buying my fender precision, i vowed never to buy a new guitar again. I like the more worn in feel and when you buy a new guitar, you have to do that yourself. There is the price difference too...
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
$1200 is a very fair price. Although ive never heard of the Classics at $3200. THeyre awesome. Very hot pickups so you can get a nice metal tone if need be. I say go for it.

Just so you know im not a 14 year old poser.. I posted my Pauls... one being a Classic
98' 1960 Les Paul Classic
00' 57' Reissue Goldtop Les Paul
92' R0' Historic Les Paul

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb 2x12 combo
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Extention cabinet
Boss GT-8
Korg DTR-1 Rackmount tuner
Sennheiser WZ-300 wireless
Quote by stevem326
I haven't played it yet but the guy selling it did say it's very heavy (part of the reason he's selling it) so it must not be chambered...and he did say the sustain is great (almost like a Les Paul Standard). It has the original Gibson hardcase and has only been played on stage once and a few times in practice according to him. It sounds like it's just been sitting around for a long time. He has three PRS's and two high-end accoustics that he plays more than anything else. So, I'll definitely check it out later this week and then play an '08 model to try to compare.

There really isn't a case where the Classic has less sustain than the Standard model since the structure of the guitar is pretty much identical. Yes there are claims that a Standard with a fat 50's neck style has more sustain as there is more wood in the neck - I've owned a 50s neck in the past and currently own a 60s neck Standard and so far I hear no noticeable difference.
I have to say my Standard is chambered (it's an '07 model) but its doing wonders for me as it gives less strain to my shoulders.
As for comparing an '05 Classic to an '08 model, well, apart from the non chambered mahogany and the colour of the inner lining of the case being different, you won't find any changes. Remember the price this guy's offering you - it's a bargain.
Thanks again to everyone for all of your replies. My friend showed me a picture of this guitar today and I'm pretty sure it's a Les Paul Traditional instead of a Classic. It has the pick-up covers and pick guard on it like a Traditional does (most of the Classics I've seen don't have these covers). Also, he's sure that he paid $2,900 for it three years ago which makes me think it's a Traditional and not a Classic.

And, to make things better, he dropped the price to just $1,000 (from $1,200) and this includes new strings and the Gibson hardshell case. A local store offered him $1,200 for it but they advised him to keep it since $1,200 in their opinion was way low. I've been friends with this guy for three years and he really just wants to sell it to someone he knows plus, in terms of sound, he's going with PRS and some other accoustics that he plays. It sounds to me like he just bought this guitar on a whim, played it a few times, and then put it away.

He's played the Gibson once on stage and a few times during practices at home and claims it's in pristine condition. If all of this is true, I'd say that $1,000 is a steal for this guitar so I'm going to look at it tonight or tomorrow and go from there.
Last edited by stevem326 at Jun 11, 2008,
sweet deal... if you have second thought.. let me know. Ill scoop it up in a heartbeat
98' 1960 Les Paul Classic
00' 57' Reissue Goldtop Les Paul
92' R0' Historic Les Paul

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb 2x12 combo
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Extention cabinet
Boss GT-8
Korg DTR-1 Rackmount tuner
Sennheiser WZ-300 wireless
Quote by LesPaulFreeek
sweet deal... if you have second thought.. let me know. Ill scoop it up in a heartbeat

Is that a good deal or a great deal? A store offered him $1,200 and said it was worth a lot more than that. I'm thinking it might make more sense to just take the money I'd be spending on this guitar and use it to get a better amp. I've heard you'll get a better sound by running a low-budget guitar through a high-end amp rather than a high-end guitar through a low-budget amp. Right now, I just have a Roland Cube 30 with Fender Strat that has an H/S/S setup. I don't think running a Les Paul through a Cube 30 is going to really bring out the full potential of that guitar
Last edited by stevem326 at Jun 11, 2008,
oh man go for it. the whole chamber crap is one of the reason why i sold my les paul. for 1200 that is a really good deal especially since they go for around 1400 used on ebay and craigslist. if you don't want it give me his contact . i'm pretty interested in buying a older model with no swiss cheese weight relieve holes blown in.
i would get the les paul first. cause i can guarantee you won't find any better deals. amp deals are pretty common compare to good guitar especially a gibson les paul classic/standard
Quote by kckyle
oh man go for it. the whole chamber crap is one of the reason why i sold my les paul. for 1200 that is a really good deal especially since they go for around 1400 used on ebay and craigslist. if you don't want it give me his contact . i'm pretty interested in buying a older model with no swiss cheese weight relieve holes blown in.

He actually just lowered the price to $1,000 today
Quote by kckyle
i would get the les paul first. cause i can guarantee you won't find any better deals. amp deals are pretty common compare to good guitar especially a gibson les paul classic/standard

Yeh, good point...I see a lot of pretty nice used amps that are always for sale but you don't always see this low of a price on a Les Paul (especially if it's in the condition he says it's in).
Quote by kckyle
OMG if you dont buy it give me the deal

Well, I'm going to go check it out tomorrow night so I'll let you know. I have fairly big hands and some of the Gibsons feel kinda small to me so if this one doesn't feel so great I'll see if he'd want to sell it to you.
well the classic comes with the 60's slim taper neck. unlike the standard which comes with a option of having either the 50's or 60's. i'm in the same situation. i used to be on the basketball team so my hand is pretty big as well. but i find the 60's neck pretty comfortable.
Quote by kckyle
well the classic comes with the 60's slim taper neck. unlike the standard which comes with a option of having either the 50's or 60's. i'm in the same situation. i used to be on the basketball team so my hand is pretty big as well. but i find the 60's neck pretty comfortable.

Cool, thanks a lot. This guitar is either a Classic or a Traditional so hopefully it has the 60's slim taper neck. I played one of those once and it felt pretty good compared to the other necks on the Gibsons which feel to small to me. Thanks a lot for all of the info, I really appreciate it.
Quote by stevem326
A friend of mine who is a professional musician is selling a three year-old Les Paul Classic for only $1,200. The original price was about $3,200 and he says it's hardly been played at all (once on stage and a few times during practice). He bought it just because he was blowing the money. He likes PRS guitars more than any other make but he was on a spending spree one day and bought the Les Paul for the heck of it but just never got into playing it that much (too heavy, the sound wasn't what he was looking for, etc.)

Anyway, assuming this guitar is in the condition it is in, is $1,200 a fair price? That sounds like a steal to me ($2,200 or so seems like the fair market value for it). I've know this guy for three years and we actually work together so I really doubt that he's going to rip me off. I just thought I would ask the experts here to be safe.

Thanks for any advice!

Sounds like a good deal. Especially if he's a friend and stuff. I would otherwise be wary someone selling me a fairly new Gibson in near-mint condition for less than half the retail price, but he's a friend I guess. Play it yourself. If you like it, and it seems like a worthy upgrade from what you've got (not just because of the name on it), then go for it man.
Page 1 of 2