Hey guys. I've been a guitarist for 5 years and the mixture of my bands bass player quitting and my long time want to play bass, I'm going to to pick one up. Between the bass and amp i really dont want to spend more than like 700 to 1000 (1000 is REALLY pushing it.) It's very important that i get a really punchy sound out of my stuff so i'm definitely looking at 10 inch speakers. I also need something that won't get drowned out from the guitar and everything. I was looking at the squier vintage modified p-bass. it's a white p-bass, black pickguard with duncan designed pickups. but thats just an idea. Any suggestions guys? I kinda want to stay in the fender/ squire zone but i'm pretty open minded about amps
-Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410
-Tons of other bass/guitar gear

FAST MELODIC PUNK! CHECK OUT MY BAND!
therowleyestate.bandcamp.com
I think Fender Bass amps are pretty good for punk or Gallien Kreuger. Basically anything where you can get a trebley punchy sound. I play some punchy stuff on my GK amp and it sounds fantastic
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
cool. I was looking at some behringer stuff but if there bass crap as nearly as ****ty as their guitar crap, i want nothing to do with it. haha
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410

Thanks, I like it rough. i played a 100 watt bassman combo and loved the sound but worried that 100 solid state watts wouldnt be loud enough against the mesa our guitarist is using.
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410

Quote by Fender_punk
Thanks, I like it rough. i played a 100 watt bassman combo and loved the sound but worried that 100 solid state watts wouldnt be loud enough against the mesa our guitarist is using.

Your right, it wouldn't, you need 300 watts minimum to gig with
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ya but there's 2x10 bassman isnt there thats 250watts which is more than enough 3 times more is just a general rule but i gig with less than that and can be heard fine over my guitarists 100 watt dsl halfstack
Your right, it wouldn't, you need 300 watts minimum to gig with

Er, what are you talking about?

You need a minimum of about 30 watts, thats enough to fill a venue the size of a school hall, at larger venues you just get your amp miked up (if your lucky)
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Bassman-250210-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=480870
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Precision-Bass?sku=519638

this set-up may push your budget a tad, but it will be absolutely perfect. 250w should still be plenty of power.

EDIT:
Quote by turtlewax
You need a minimum of about 30 watts, thats enough to fill a venue the size of a school hall, at larger venues you just get your amp miked up (if your lucky)

30 watts will get you absoluely nowhere. You would need at least 100 or probably 150 to play a school gym or auditorium.
A T-bird and a Big Muff in your GAS list!? Egad man, are you trying to kill me!?
Fender MIM Jazz Bass
Line6 LD150Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Last edited by ryenzio1 at Jun 9, 2008,
Quote by turtlewax

This IS the bass forum man. 30 watts won't get you anywhere. Even if you are miked and all of that shiz you still will need 100-150 minimum just for stage volume. And if this guy is playing punk I doubt everywhere he plays at will have a nice PA for him to use. Go for 250 minimum, the Fender Bassman has a pretty nice sound. Also look at Carvin and Ashdown.
You say a Mesa, are we talking a tube Mesa here?

If so, you're gonna want about 5 - 6x the wattage. I think that for best bang for your money, as much as it pains me to say this, Carvin would be your best bet.

I seriously doubt that a 250W SS Bass Amp will fare well against a tube Mesa.

The general rule for bass amps is 2-3x for Solid state guitar amps, 5-6x for Tube amps, because they seem that much louder.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by turtlewax

This is the second time today a guitarist has assumed this is the guitar forum without actually checking, THIS IS THE BASS FORUM
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Yeah i wasn't sure how bass amps work in comparison with guitar amps. So now I have a general idea. I will seldomly have a p.a. to run it through. The bass in the link a few posts up is the exact bass i was looking at. squier basses seem to actually be nice. Thanks for all the replies.
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410

With no PA, 300W is a bare minimum. The Ashdown MAG 300 will not get that without an extension cab.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Sorry, I thought that the wattage of a bass amp would be equal in volume to a guitar amp
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by gm jack
With no PA, 300W is a bare minimum. The Ashdown MAG 300 will not get that without an extension cab.

Wha-what?

I would still get it, buy and extension cab later if you wanted to. It's still pretty loud and it sounds nice. Most big gigs will have a PA so I think you'll be alright.

I dont really think your going to do much better than The MAG and MIM Fender for 1000 bucks.
I really like the looks of the ashdown. Wish I could go play it somewhere and try it out. Thanks for all the replies guys.
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410

Quote by turtlewax

You're in the bass forum. You need a lot of watts here
Quote by ryenzio1
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Bassman-250210-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=480870
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Precision-Bass?sku=519638

this set-up may push your budget a tad, but it will be absolutely perfect. 250w should still be plenty of power.

EDIT:

30 watts will get you absoluely nowhere. You would need at least 100 or probably 150 to play a school gym or auditorium.

if you dont use a nice PA then yes
but with a PA you dont need more than 30 watts

BTW the VM p bass is the best bass for the money IMO, better than MIM fenders and the wood is of agathis, most people hate agathis but this bass makes agathis sound really awesome
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by litus
if you dont use a nice PA then yes
but with a PA you dont need more than 30 watts

BTW the VM p bass is the best bass for the money IMO, better than MIM fenders and the wood is of agathis, most people hate agathis but this bass makes agathis sound really awesome

Technically, with a PA, you don't need an amp at all. Hence, that arguement is void. 30W is still not enough to function as a moniter.

And while the VM series is great, many people will say that the jazz is better value, simply for the versitility and the alder body.

However, no wood is superior to another. Agathis, basswood etc are mostly used because they are cheap.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1