Basically I have Fender Strat and im thinking about getting some pickups to improve it, at the moment it only has the stock ones which are ok...but I was wondering how much getting new pickups would improve it? I think its the standard strat, it cost me £650 not the delux just basic.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Noiseless-3-Pickup-Set?sku=301646&src=3SOSWXXA

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/21059

whats the difference with them? which could be better?

or any other types of pickups that eliminate buzz etc or generally any that improve sound quality?

thanks
just wondering have you tried lots of different pickups? and what style do you play? just wondering to see if it would suit me

thanks for advice, the reviews are good for them
what's your music style, what amp you using?

and to quiet a guitar, you need to shield it with foil while you have it open.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Im using a Behringer V-tone GMX212 may upgrade to marshall soon

I play quite alot of different styles, bands like Hendrix, Satriani, Led Zep, Muse, Metallica, Lenny Kravitz, pink floyd and lots of other random bands but also some quite different things like reggae, funk, and some that are just chords like Coldplay
Pickups won't make any difference through that amp so worry about that first - once you've upgraded your amp you might find you don't need new pickups. How much budget do you have for an amp?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
im not a fan of noiseless pickups
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
budget hmmm well any ammount really but it takes time to save up...a good marshall that will go through good size gigs will prob cost abit but i will pay it if i need it. I was looking at some marshalls that seemed pretty good, had two rows of dials I think, or something similar
Well okay, so how much are you willing to save up? What kind of music are you going to play anyway?

We need to sort this out before we can give you any advice.
well, £600? but that will take a long time to get available

I mentioned it above what i play, ' Hendrix, Satriani, Led Zep, Muse, Metallica, Lenny Kravitz, pink floyd and lots of other random bands but also some quite different things like reggae, funk, and some that are just chords like Coldplay'

how come the pickups wont make any changes etc because of the amp? i dont know much about pickups obviously lol
The Laney VC30 is a good amp to be aiming for - I have a nasty suspicion that the Marshall's you've been looking at are the MG series, which are atrocious.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vc30-112/380

Pickups only contribute to your sound, it's your amp that actually creates it. With a modelling amp like your Behringer there's a load of digital processing going on the create the tone, in that situation pickups are pretty moot...the amps designed to sound the same no matter what you plug into it. Even on a good amp pickupe only have a relatively subtle effect on the tone, it's the kind of thing you become more attuned to the more expereinced you get.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Pickups are really just to "tweak and shape" your tone, the amp is about 60-80% of how you sound.
Anyway, i play with Lace Sensors, and play stuff like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Van Halen, and loads of 70-80's British rock.
The Blue/Silver/Red set handles it great for me (Red is VERY close to a humbucker, with some extra bite).
Anyway, new amp first, that's usually the golden rule to changing tone

Oh, and steven seagull- I bet it was an MG. Thank god you got to him before he bought it. You're pretty much the spawn of Satan for owning an MG here
okay thanks yeah thats making sense now

Marshall's are not modelling amps are they? so if I ended up getting a second hand one would it effect it then the pickups?

the Laney looks good but most of the discription means nout to me, ive been on Laneys before and they have seemed good but I cant imagine them being professional level, how good are Rolands?

Above it mentions the Lace Sensors which sound what im after if I do use a non modelling amp, anyone else used the lace's?
My LAG has humbuckers which is what i kind of wanted in the strat sometimes as it felt it needed a bit more extra punch.

Im happy with the amp i have at the moment...but is it actually pretty bad and worth getting a better one? other band member has a huge marshal dont know the type though real good quality and his SG sounds very good through it
Laneys ARE professional grade. Britain's finest, I would have to say. My man Iommi used them, I'm fairly certain.

Don't even consider a solid state; get a tube, and remember there are tons of amp brands out there. Don't limit yourself to Marshall and what not.
Nobody jump on me here if I'm wrong, but I think Marshall has a couple solid states, like the MG?

Anyway TS- you can ask around here for people with Lace Sensors, give me a sec, and I'll dig up the post that I guy sent to me when I was looking for pickups. He introduced me to Lace, and I'm damn glad of it.
Oh, and tube amps all the way, especially in your case. I think that pretty much everyone you listed that you play use tube amps as well, or as their mains
Yeah but sort of living where I do I don't get much time/chance to play on different amps so cant listen to many different brands and of course I cant tell what they sound like online

I suppose I will have to just go around every shop trying them out untill I find a good one.

Remind me again what solid state is? ive heard of valve amps...or are they solid state?

Im fine at playing the guitar...but have not really got into technical side of it, but im starting to learn
Last edited by BlueFlames at Jun 9, 2008,
That's usually the best thing to do. My advice, get a new amp, play for hours on anything you can find (again, try for tube) until you find something you like.
THEN if you're feeling like your tone needs a boost, change the pickups
yeah Blue Flames - listen to these guys.

when i first got here i was asking about pickups and was redirected to a new amp and have never regretted it. get an all tube amp first, and certainly doesn't have to be a marshall, and then worry about your pickups. that is what i did.

once i did that i settled in on a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom HB for my HSS Strat and imo the Single Coils really are not that bad so like JJ said - foil to help ground and stop buzz.

311zoso
The main reason for wanting to change the tone was 1 to get rid of fuzz etc which the Lace do and the foil cover and 2 to make it sound more punchy so maybe its just the pickup i need if the red lace makes it sound more like a humbucker, and one of the other ones is a softer sound which im also after?

so is the Behringer a bad amp etc if everyone votes to change it for a new one?
Last edited by BlueFlames at Jun 9, 2008,
Quote by BlueFlames
The main reason for wanting to change the tone was 1 to get rid of fuzz etc which the Lace do and the foil cover and 2 to make it sound more punchy so maybe its just the pickup i need if the red lace makes it sound more like a humbucker, and one of the other ones is a softer sound which im also after?

Trust us, it's not the pickups - it's the amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Yeah it's the amp dude

Anyway, here's some fellow UG'ers for you:

Supergerbl: I find them extremely versatile. I have the above mentioned set. All pickups are extremely are really clear and clean. The neck is really fabulous and smooth the bridge is edgy, the mid is strat like but warmer. Posisitions 2 and 4 are really strat sounding and provide good jimi type tones. When you begin to start using distortion the pickups just stay fantastic. I use them with a TS-808 tube screamer and a double muff and it sounds fantastic with both. Can get any tone I want.
I would really reccomend them to ANYONE who needs a really versatile, yet great sounding strat! I have a Gibson les paul studio and a mexican strat with red/blue silver sensors and I prefer the strat so many more times. You will not be disaponted with Lace sensors. So I hope to hear your desicion

Djszkoda: (Yes, that's his username) LACE ftw.
Completely amazing, get a Dually Red-Red and two Blues, if you want an HSS configuration. If not, get Blue-Red-Gold, AMAZING tone. I love mine much more than
my Duncans.

PM me or something if you wanna know more about them, I'm out for now.
Happy amp hunting dude
Last edited by Vinyl_Master at Jun 9, 2008,
just to make sure you are clear here...

thread starter, look at valve amps. not the solid state mg series that marshall makes.

also buy this type of self adhesive foil tape, and shield ur amp. this will quiet the fuzz...
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Shielding/Conductive_Copper_Tape.html

after you play thru the new amp for a while, if you STILL think you need new pickups, then repost for suggestions.

because your new tone will be completely different from what it is now.

pickups are good for fine tuning tone. amps provide most of it, imo.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Yeah that all sounds good, I will defo cover the amp, and then try out a few amps, most likely the Laney or other valve/tube amps...and if it still needs improving then i will buy pickups... I guess i will have to buy pedals to re-create the behringer effects..maybe i just wont bother as it would cost alot to get decent ones...im building a custom pedal at the moment with another guy, will have 3 effects in one, when its done i might put it on youtube so you guys can see it or something, maybe on a new Laney xD

Ive been looking at Laney amps on this post all about them

http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=821044

It says the VC30 is good at everything apart from high gain... I have a Behringer WarpDistortion pedal which i could use with the amp but would it sound good basically, or all muffled?

Thankyou by the way for all being very helpfull/understanding
Last edited by BlueFlames at Jun 10, 2008,
Hi, I have a strat and for years I did little with it. I have a 15w valve amp and it was a great combination. Last year I started changing pickups and ended up with a very nice sounding guitar (to my ears and for my taste) but as others have said its very subjective and the amp will determine most of the tone.

I decided to keep single coils with alnico magnets and I shielded the inside with copper and star grounding (if I find the link to the instructions I'll post it) and its the quietest strat I have played. In fact the buzz that I thought was the amp all these years turned out to be the guitar!

THe bridge pickup is very hot (seymour ssl-3) and the neck pickup is a vintage wind, I did try hot pickup in the neck and nearly blew the windows out - I have learned that the wind of the pickup / position is quite important. In the middle a reverse wind / polarity pickup to give the nice (even quieter) inbetween sounds.
The other change I did is to link the tone control to the bridge pickup, and with the amp on full treble and volume, and a bit of treble off the tone pot and its a nice lead tone.

The other thing I did (had done) to my strat was get the 57 neck refretted with Jumbo frets - it had quite a big improvement in tone. Yours probably has medium jumbo or jumbos but its an expensive and risky change on a maple neck unless you know someone you can trust and dont like it as it is (I hate vintage frets)

My strat spent 15 years in its case - since the changes I cant put it away (OK, I had other reasons for retiring it..)

You have the guitar, pickups likely OK, if you can pickup a valve amp and want a 15W then the wem dominator can be picked up on ebay (in uk at least, dont know where you are) and are a much better deal than current amps for the money.
If you are handy with a soldering iron and high voltage (one hand behind your back when working...) you could get a 5W epi valve junior / grainger head and mod it with an upgrade kit from ebay, they cost too much already upgraded for what they are.

An overdrive pedal is a nice thing to have with a valve amp, I use a boss overdive as a treble/output boost with drive on zero, treble and output on full. Also at home its good to get your dirty tone, 15 w plus a bit more when its on full is too loud for most neighbours...
Hope thats helpful

Kyri