I've been having some trouble with these two chords. They are from the song "Drown With Me" by The Porcupine Tree.

A6

|-----0-----
|-----2-----
|-----2-----
|-----4-----
|-----4-----
|-----------

I barre the 4th fret with my ring finger and the 2nd fret with my index

and

A# Major

|-----0-----
|-----3-----
|-----3-----
------3-----
|-----1-----
|------------

I barre with my ring finger

I'm having the same problem with both chords. My barring is ok but I can't seem to get my index finger out of the way in order to get the open string to ring out.

Any tips on how to fret these more effectively or how to get my index finger out of the way?
well first... A6 is one of these two

e--0--2--
b--2--2--
g--2--2--
d--4--2--
a--0--0---
e--------

i barre a normal A with my index finger and then use my pinky to play the 4th fret on the D string for the first one. the second one is what i normally play for A6 and i just used my index finger to barre all 4 strings. to play the chord you listed... which i'm not even sure what it is, but i'd call it an A6/C# i guess... i might play it more like an E major shape and not barre it at all. like this:

e--0--
b--2-- index finger
g--2-- middle finger
d--4-- pinky finger
a--4-- ring finger
e-----

or i might barre an A major with my index finger and play it like this:

e--0--
b--2-- index finger
g--2-- index finger
d--4-- pinky finger
a--4-- ring finger
e-----

alright and your second chord is wrong also. A# is:

e--1--
b--3--
g--3--
d--3--
a--1--
e-----

now this solves your problem altogether since you said you were having trouble keeping your index finger from barring the open string. well if you are really trying to play an A#, you need to either mute the high e string or play it on the first fret.
Thank Jim.

Sorry about the bad notation. A# was correct in your post.

In regards to the A chord...I'm still having trouble keeping my index finger out of the way. My hands seem to be too small to fret each string with a different finger so I've opted for the second method that you showed.

Is this a hand strength issue or am I just doing something wrong?
Last edited by yearzero at Jun 9, 2008,
it's not so much hand strength as it is muscle memory/control. it will come with practice. just keep working on it and focus on making sure you are letting the high e ring clear and having the b string fretted solidly. if you practice it regularly, it probably won't take you more than a few days to get the hang of it somewhat and then only a week or two to get really comfortable with it.
it's not so much hand strength as it is muscle memory/control. it will come with practice. just keep working on it and focus on making sure you are letting the high e ring clear and having the b string fretted solidly. if you practice it regularly, it probably won't take you more than a few days to get the hang of it somewhat and then only a week or two to get really comfortable with it.

This.

Weak/small hands is a bad excuse and something that people throw around the place making it harder guys starting out. Forget about your hand strength for now. We all have that we just have to build it and that takes, surprise surprise, practice!