keep in mind that my band is made of mostly 14 year-olds

getting through a practice is like gettong food at a place that serves 1 person only a day
near impossible should i start fresh or should i just disband the band and never pick up a guitar again
Oh boy I know your pain. I've had that problem with 2 of the bands I've been in. We just ended up making pizza and stuff.

One trick I found works is that two people should come up with some material the night before or something. Then all the band just focuses on that, if you need to go off in pairs and work on it. But make sure you have something from the begining. Has always worked for me.
Quote by BASEnutter
Oh boy I know your pain. I've had that problem with 2 of the bands I've been in. We just ended up making pizza and stuff.

One trick I found works is that two people should come up with some material the night before or something. Then all the band just focuses on that, if you need to go off in pairs and work on it. But make sure you have something from the begining. Has always worked for me.

+Epic Amount.
Have a clear idea of what it is you want to accomplish before practice starts. Then divide your time from there.

eg. 20 minutes on Song A
20 minutes on Song B
and 20 minutes on Song C

Here are some other tips for making sure practice runs smoothly:
  • Only Allow Band Members At Practice: otherwise people get too distracted
  • Set Up The Equipment As Soon As Possible: if you can set some up before practice that's even better
  • Get In Tune: Make sure all instruments are in tune with each other. Do this at the beginning. It saves you grief later.
  • Have Time For Warm Ups: Give a bit of time at the start of practice (no more than five minutes) to let people warm up on their instruments. This prevents injuries.
  • Listen! Listen! Listen! Listen to what parts of songs need work and which songs are weaker so you know where you need to spend more time
  • Use A Reward System: If your band wants to do something else eg. see a movie, get food, etc. tell them they can as soon as they finish working on something eg. practicing one song
  • Keep The Band Focused: Let them know what they need to work on. If someone starts slacking just say something like "ok now let's work on this song"
  • Keep It Fun: Even though you have to keep your band moving don't be a jackass about it. Make sure it's still fun to play in the band.
  • Devote Time For Band Business: If anything about the band needs to be discussed, save some time for the end of practice.

Hopefully that helps.

If your band still isn't working after this then find some new players. In that case, they obviously aren't committed at all.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Here's what we've been doing to have a productive practice.

Arrival - 10 minutes of friendly chit-chat/bs.
Setup - Setup the equipment.
Tune/Warm-Up - Probably about 10 minutes of just getting the hands warm.
Listen - Listen to some recorded ideas to try and work a song out.
Work on the Song - Get the groundwork going.
Practice other songs

After this is when it usually just comes down to everyone being mentally exhausted and we start fooling around. We'll talk about future goals and what we want to accomplish for next week. We're getting a lot better of not getting sidetracked now.
Quote by MacDizzy
Here's what we've been doing to have a productive practice.

Arrival - 10 minutes of friendly chit-chat/bs.
Setup - Setup the equipment.
Tune/Warm-Up - Probably about 10 minutes of just getting the hands warm.
Listen - Listen to some recorded ideas to try and work a song out.
Work on the Song - Get the groundwork going.
Practice other songs

After this is when it usually just comes down to everyone being mentally exhausted and we start fooling around. We'll talk about future goals and what we want to accomplish for next week. We're getting a lot better of not getting sidetracked now.

Yeah, this ^ and what Babs said is absolutely correct. The secret (if you can call it that) to successful rehearsals is to come up with an agenda, or a list of what you will do and in what order, then just stick to it to the best of your, and the rest or your band's, ability.
Having a band meeting afterwards, where you talk about the band's direction and what you all wish to get out of it is very useful because this then defines the agenda that you all wish to work from.
i know ur pain dude.... my band always schedules practice, but something always goes wrong. Either the bassist never comes or is late, the drummer's at church, or we end up going outside to skate or just mess around. We really only play for about 20 minutes out of like 1hr30mins of being together lol
Will we got to practice agian soon!I can already feel the muscles in my hands gettin weaker =) and im serious man if dan and kyler dont come to a practice n like the next 10 seconds were kicken there asses out of the band.screw stephen, i havent even seen him play. =)
Quote by Baba O'Riley
Have a clear idea of what it is you want to accomplish before practice starts. Then divide your time from there.

eg. 20 minutes on Song A
20 minutes on Song B
and 20 minutes on Song C

Here are some other tips for making sure practice runs smoothly:
  • Only Allow Band Members At Practice: otherwise people get too distracted
  • Set Up The Equipment As Soon As Possible: if you can set some up before practice that's even better
  • Get In Tune: Make sure all instruments are in tune with each other. Do this at the beginning. It saves you grief later.
  • Have Time For Warm Ups: Give a bit of time at the start of practice (no more than five minutes) to let people warm up on their instruments. This prevents injuries.
  • Listen! Listen! Listen! Listen to what parts of songs need work and which songs are weaker so you know where you need to spend more time
  • Use A Reward System: If your band wants to do something else eg. see a movie, get food, etc. tell them they can as soon as they finish working on something eg. practicing one song
  • Keep The Band Focused: Let them know what they need to work on. If someone starts slacking just say something like "ok now let's work on this song"
  • Keep It Fun: Even though you have to keep your band moving don't be a jackass about it. Make sure it's still fun to play in the band.
  • Devote Time For Band Business: If anything about the band needs to be discussed, save some time for the end of practice.

Hopefully that helps.

If your band still isn't working after this then find some new players. In that case, they obviously aren't committed at all.

That's really good, because my bass player wanted to invite some chicks over, and I really didn't want to, because it would get distracting.