i've been playing for a while now (self taught) and i thought i was picking fine but a friend of mine said i was using my finger and thumb to pick meaning i'll struggle with getting faster. I looked around and i couldn't find any fast guitarists using a thumb and finger motion (virtually all of them use the wrist) i can't seem to get myself to pick with my wrist at all- i pick a few notes and revert back to using my fingers. i experimented with all the ways of picking; finger and thumb was the slowest but cleanest method, using my whole arm was clearly the fastest but not as clean as using the finger and thumb approach, when i forced myself to pick with my wrist i got faster than my finger and thumb but no where near as quick as my arm and it was pretty messy.

the question is what do i do?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6E25uX0kuk

Takayoshi Ohmura calls BS on your friend

Seriously though; just go with what's comfortable for you, with enough practice you'll be able to reach whatever speed you want.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
dude, you continue with that "finger only" picking method, if you watch Buckethead, Paul Gilbert or Malmsteen, or any other shredder you will notice that they use the finger combined with the wrist.

Check the lessons this guy has on picking.

http://www.youtube.com/user/pebberbrown
Teh Gear:
Squier Affinity Fat Strat
Digitech RP-350
Roland PA-250
Old custom made 1x12" cab x2

No. 1 Digitech RP-350 recommender

Linux users UNITE ! ! !

I WANT THIS ! ! !
Your friend is wrong, that picking technique is called oscillation and I've read that it's very economic.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6E25uX0kuk

Takayoshi Ohmura calls BS on your friend

Seriously though; just go with what's comfortable for you, with enough practice you'll be able to reach whatever speed you want.

It looks to me that he's tremolo picking using his wrist but he just has loose fingers. I only watched the first few shred bits though.
your guys are over anylazing playing guitar too much...play the way its comfortable to you
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by BoogieManMKD
Check the lessons this guy has on picking.

http://www.youtube.com/user/pebberbrown

Just like any other "teacher" that man is fallible and seems to treat the technique that works for him as the gospel truth: no one picking method is inherently better than any other and is only as good as the practice behind it. Any picking method can be used to reach high speeds as long as there is as little tension in your body as possible and you practice it consistently.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
It looks to me that he's tremolo picking using his wrist but he just has loose fingers. I only watched the first few shred bits though.

Nope; all of his fast picking motion comes from his finger/thumb; watch the first shred run near the beginning closely and you can see it clearly.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jun 9, 2008,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Just like any other "teacher" that man is fallible and seems to treat the technique that works for him as the gospel truth: no one picking method is inherently better than any other and is only as good as the practice behind it. Any picking method can be used to reach high speeds as long as there is as little tension in your body as possible and you practice it consistently.

O'rly... so you are saying that using your elbow is nice, and you can pick by using your whole elbow.... with little or no tension at all??

And the guy says that he likes this method, but if it doesn't work for someone, they can use something else.
Teh Gear:
Squier Affinity Fat Strat
Digitech RP-350
Roland PA-250
Old custom made 1x12" cab x2

No. 1 Digitech RP-350 recommender

Linux users UNITE ! ! !

I WANT THIS ! ! !
Last edited by BoogieManMKD at Jun 9, 2008,
Quote by BoogieManMKD
O'rly... so you are saying that using your elbow is nice, and you can pick by using your whole elbow.... with little or no tension at all??

And the guy says that he likes this method, but if it doesn't work for someone, they can use something else.

I, personally, can't pick like that, almost all of my picking motion comes from the wrist but if you can do it in a relaxed way then it doesn't matter where the picking motion comes from. It's all about what works for the individual, not some sort of overall rule that might not work for everyone.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.