So I went to GC the other day with a friend who has played guitar for about 7-8 years. I'm pretty new to guitar and had never been to a GC before. I was shopping for a new amp(cause I'm beginning to dislike my puny 8" Crate GLX15). After getting frustrated with a handful of completely out-of-tune Fender Squires(I have a strat copy), he asks me to just pick out the coolest looking guitar on the wall. Well my eyes immediately were drawn to a Schecter Devil Custom with an amber sunburst. We both spent the next 5 hours playing that guitar on almost every amp and pedal in the store. By the end of it we both found ourselves wanting to walk out with it.

He's been shopping for like 3 weeks already for a new guitar(and he knows exactly what he wants) so while he wants to get it, he's still comparing it vs some of the others he has picked out.

I, on the other hand, am having trouble not buying one. I still need a new amp regardless, so I went ahead and ordered an AD30VT-XL. The 12" and hi-gain models won me over. Unfortunately, we never even got to test the Vox's in the GC much because 1) they were complicated(we didn't know about the presets, how the modeling worked, or the wattage knob on the back...) and 2) they didn't have the XL version that I'd prefer anyway.

So...anyone care to stop me? ^_^ I'm wondering if I'll regret buying it due to maybe a bad pairing of EMG 81/85 with a modeling amp like the Vox? Also, I noticed that Tempests and Blackjacks can be had used in good condition for several hundred less. Unfortunately for me, the Devil Custom is a new model for '08 and to my untrained eye is in a whole different class than most of the others.

So $700. Think I'll be regretting it a month from now or rocking out like never before?
For $700 idk....never played the vox but you could get a used JSX combo for that much.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Did you really order it?

can't you give the amp back?

i would buy the guitar+ new amp, but not an modeling amp!

edit:

the vox isn't that bad, so you won't regret it
Quote by _-=Ali C=-_
i do it a lot. ill be playin somethin and i forget to close my mouth... sometimes its really bad, slobber everywhere. i goes mostly over the neck, on the higher frets, and its really hard to get out from under the strings.
My LTD w/ 81/85 sounds great through both my tube and my SS amps.
Staff Sergeant of The Megadeth Military
PM BlackicN to join

Archbishop of Zeppelinism
PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
Quote by guitargod21136
My LTD w/ 81/85 sounds great through both my tube and my SS amps.

What the f*ck does that have to do with getting a new $700 amp?
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Quote by SG6578

Read it again.
TS, shop around, if you still find yourself drawn back to the Schecter, you won't regret buying it.
Quote by SG6578

He ask if the 81/85 would sound bad on a modeling amp. i think $700 is a little much for that amp you could get a better tube combo in that price range. like sg6578 said you could buy used and get a really nice tube amp for $700.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
Blackheart little giant head
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Is it just me who's confused? Why is everyone talking about 700$ amps, from reading the TS's post it seems like hes saying the guitar is 700$, and hes asking about guitars not amps?
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
A problem with EMG loaded guitars is that they need to be played through a really good, a.k.a. professionell amp in order to sound good. I am a big fan of the Vox Valvetronix series (I in fact own the Valvetronix floarboard), but I have heard what the XL sounds like with an Ltd
equipped with EMGs. Harsh, trebly tone with a lot of muddiness concerning the lower frequencies. It was not at all pleasant.

Another thing with EMGs is that in order to sound good, they need to be put not in a good, but in an EXCELLENT guitar. I am talking about top notch construction and tonewoods. Call me a pessimist, but I don't expect that from a 700$ guitar.

In conclusion, I'd rather not do this. I think you'll get better results if you get yourself a guitar with some nice passive pickups along with the Vox. You can already get instruments with Seymour Duncans or Dimarzios in that price range, keep an eye out for that.

I am aware that it all comes down to oppinion, that's just my two cents.
Yeah, it's the guitar that's $700. The Vox is only about $300 and I'm pretty sold on it. I did try out a few guitars actually. I forgot that he had me playing some Epiphone G-400s(I like the SG shape), a couple standard Fender's, a Highway One, and a few of the Gibsons for kicks...still came back to the Schecter. I actually put it back after testing out amps then ran back to get it after we decided to go to the other side of the store and mess with pedals.

I have my doubts about the Vox modeling amp, but it seems to get a lot of love from the forums. I know it may not bring out the full potential of the EMGs, but I'm not totally sold on low-end tube-tone suiting me(particularly for metal) and at lower volumes it sounds like a tube will need a pedal(which adds more to the already prohibitive cost). If you think it's better to stick with the guitar and go for a different amp than I'm all for suggestions. Order is queued up, but MusiciansFriend always takes a day or two...

As far as sound goes as long as it doesn't sound worse than what I have now(hard to do), I think I'll be pretty happy. Mybe I'll have to see if I can find another GC that carries the XL to be sure. Still so very tempted to buy the Schecter, love the shape and sound just not the price!