ok so i love the sound of my mark III, but i want to add a little bit to it. i want something that can give me a slight gain boost, but also tighten up my sound. i know an Od can do this, but there are also pedals like the mxr 10 band eq. I figured it might also be able to cover these needs plus let me shape my sound a bit more. So anyway, what would be better for my needs, a pedal like an mxr 10-band EQ or a pedal like a tube screamer?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Both would work well, an eq would be more transparent, while the ts will definitely color your sound a bit. I say go try them with your equipment and see what you like.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Dude you just described what the tube screamer will do (add a little gain and tighten up your sound). Go with the tube screamer.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
most people like to just use a tubescreamer for that, but like kevin said you should go try both out and see waht you like
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I really like the simplicity of a tube screamer, but theres nothing wrong with a nice EQ too.
You can always buy both and return the one you don't want
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob
I really like the simplicity of a tube screamer, but theres nothing wrong with a nice EQ too.
You can always buy both and return the one you don't want

good idea
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
The mxr108 can give you a bit of a gain boost but to do so your gonna have to put in front of preamp which kind of kills the idea of having a eq because they work alot better in the effects loop in my opinion.

So i would go with OD now then EQ... Or better yet get a eq pedal and Cheaper OD like a Bad monkey...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
The mxr108 can give you a bit of a gain boost but to do so your gonna have to put in front of preamp which kind of kills the idea of having a eq because they work alot better in the effects loop in my opinion.

So i would go with OD now then EQ... Or better yet get a eq pedal and Cheaper OD like a Bad monkey...

my only problem with that is that ive heard the bad monkey doesnt work as well for tightening up the sound as a TS

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
my only problem with that is that ive heard the bad monkey doesnt work as well for tightening up the sound as a TS

To each there own, but until you try it i wouldnt listen to hear say. I got rid of my tubescreamer and modified tubescreamer and replaced them with a Bad Monkey. Because the TS didnt tighten up my sound enough or give me enough level boost...

With anything you buy test it out and remember you have 30 days to return it. So you can always return the one you dont want.
Quote by InanezGuitars44

Yes, and it certainly isn't as warm as a TS, if your going to be improving on the sound of your Mark III its probably wiser to spring for a ts808 or ts9 to color your sound better.