I want to start composing instrumental music on the guitar. I now have good knowledge of theory and I am pretty techinically skilled. I have some ideas for songs some riffs and stuff set aside and I am ready to start making music. I was just wondering if anyone has experience making instrumental music could give me some advice on things I need to focus on and whats important to making a song that people will actually like.
Quote by zac362
not many ppl have heard of the lochrian mode, mainly cos its only really usefull for mindless shredding
Quote by toine
check out satriani, petrucci , buckethead and paul gilbert!!

I am a big fan of all them already they are who made me want to play instrumental music.
Quote by zac362
not many ppl have heard of the lochrian mode, mainly cos its only really usefull for mindless shredding
Quote by SOAD_freak777
I am a big fan of all them already they are who made me want to play instrumental music.

nice
Here's an approach to instrumental music that many, many people follow; it almost follows the 3-act form of plays and movies.

First Act
Establish the harmonic environment
Establish the main melody/theme/motif/whatever
Develop the melodic ideas

Second Act
A new harmonic environment may be established
This section is set aside for improvisation

Third Act
Restate the melody and main theme
Develop your ideas further to bring the piece to a climax

This isn't the only approach, though it is more than prevalent. Another thing that you'll see is the climax come at the end of the second act, with the third act being just long enough to restate the theme, and ground the listener again.
known as Jeff when it really matters
Quote by titopuente
Here's an approach to instrumental music that many, many people follow; it almost follows the 3-act form of plays and movies.

First Act
Establish the harmonic environment
Establish the main melody/theme/motif/whatever
Develop the melodic ideas

Second Act
A new harmonic environment may be established
This section is set aside for improvisation

Third Act
Restate the melody and main theme
Develop your ideas further to bring the piece to a climax

This isn't the only approach, though it is more than prevalent. Another thing that you'll see is the climax come at the end of the second act, with the third act being just long enough to restate the theme, and ground the listener again.

I have been having trouble with song structure and where to put what and this helps a lot thank you.
Quote by zac362