I've been playing through some hendrix stuff and it's been really annoying having to tune down to Eb, then going back to E for everything else (i'm a schmuk who's too cheap to have a second guitar).

Why does he do this? there must be a good reason for it or no one would bother. i appreciate sometime people change key to make things easier to sing, but surely 1 semitone can't make much of a singing difference?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Metal it up?

Why some bands do it me thinks
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
Quote by Gwynnell
Metal it up?

Why some bands do it me thinks

little wing is pretty metal i must admit O.o

The string bending thing makes sense, but over 1 semitone that doesn't make much difference surely, compared to say changing gauge/scale of the neck?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by doive
I've been playing through some hendrix stuff and it's been really annoying having to tune down to Eb, then going back to E for everything else (i'm a schmuk who's too cheap to have a second guitar).

Why does he do this? there must be a good reason for it or no one would bother. i appreciate sometime people change key to make things easier to sing, but surely 1 semitone can't make much of a singing difference?

One semitone doesn't sound a lot but it makes a big difference to a singer.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by doive

Instead of trying to find a reason technically why dont you take a listen to his music.. thats why.
Quote by steven seagull
One semitone doesn't sound a lot but it makes a big difference to a singer.

+1 , i find it alot easier to sing in Eb than E (but subsequently, i find it easiest to sing in B, thats a more natural range for me)

also most players use lighter gauge strings, like .46's or so, and a semitone is quite a bit on strings that thin. in fact i've been using .70's and tuning in D standard and i find that even that is quite a bit of difference in string slack
Well, if you're going to ask that question, why do some bands tune A????

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I tune down to Eb on my acoustic because it's an easier key to sing in and with my band because it's heavier sounding.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Quote by valennic
Well, if you're going to ask that question, why do some bands tune A????

It's deep and evil.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!