ok so ive been playing guitar for a year and im ok, im self taught and know my fundamentals and plan to practice more vigourously all summer. however i am startinng a band with my friend which will be a thrash metal band and i think hardcore is the right word to go with it or possibly metalcore. now i have a few questions
1. how does one write a thrash/ metalcore song, i either tune to drop d or d standard with power chords, but thats to simple i want to form some nice chords but im not sure what scales/modes what ever you want to call them to use, i like locrian but i also tend to use phyrgian. i know how to form baisc chords but i cant quite grasp the concept of more advanced ones (powertab made me even more confused when i was using the chord book). also for chords i might do a standard tunign because drop tunings make scales take wierd shapes (the top string moving over two but i gues i can cope with that)
2. im not good at soloing or improvising, what should i do, just practice? i would like to know because im the best guitarist between me and my friend but im only good at rythme and i want some good solos to put the icing on the cake of our songs
3. how do i learn to play guitar and sing at the same time once again, just practice? i can do it on 1 song dont fear the reaper's intro but thats it and im sure the music is going to be much much faster than that and i cant sing and play fast because i get off tempo
new one 4. when using a mode box. lets say phrygian can you play it by itself in different keys instead of playing the all modes that are in order in a certain key on the neck, i think i can do both but im not entirely sure, this question may not even make since if it doesnt ill try to elaborate
i think that's all at the moment but i think of something else ill edit and post. thank you to those who help me. and please if you hate thrash or metalcore dont post anything or be jerk i need help and its really pointless to be rude. this isnt the pit afterall
Last edited by F8iscruel at Jun 9, 2008,
1. how does one write a thrash/ metalcore song,
Learn and analyse your favourite thrash/metalcore songs and incorporate what you discover into your own songs.

2. im not good at soloing or improvising, what should i do, just practice?
Watch marty friedman's 'melodic control' on google videos, scott henderson's 'melodic phrasing' on youtube, learn some scales, learn and analyse your favourite solos, and practice improvising over chord progressions.

3. how do i learn to play guitar and sing at the same time once again, just practice?
Pretty much. There's a guide in the Music Theory FAQ
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
^ what this guy said

also as for writing in Drop D (or whatever) i found it easiest to remember when starting out that yer low D string has the exact same notes in a scale as the middle D string does. this should simplify the memorization extensively.

also i recommend learning the heavy stuff you really like and seeing how those you enjoy listening to do what they do. this will help get you started in the right direction. also check out some theory and take it SLOWLY. nobody learns everything up to voice leading in a day.

singing and playing is something that takes a LOT of time to get used to and get good at. generally as a guitarist you need to have a song down so that you could play it in your sleep or while holding an intelligent conversation with someone else. make sure you don't even have to think about what you're playing before you start trying to sing it.

lastly, for writing songs.... if your first 10, 20 or even 100 songs don't sound good don't let it put you off. songwriting is something that you have to work at constantly.
Quote by z4twenny
lastly, for writing songs.... if your first 10, 20 or even 100 songs don't sound good don't let it put you off. songwriting is something that you have to work at constantly.
Expanding on this, your first song will not be some thrash/prog metal epic. Start by writing music like "Brown Eyed Girl."
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Expanding on this, your first song will not be some thrash/prog metal epic. Start by writing music like "Brown Eyed Girl."

yah i cant really make an entire song i usually just get some nice riffs that i cant put together and a couple acoustics. but if i do the punk method for the frist couple songs i can get a few good thrashs out there.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Or just ****ty metal. It doesn't matter. Just as long as he's writing songs. But I definitely not spending months on months writing something you think will be amazing. Because most likely, it'll suck.

Basically time and practice will do the trick. Just make sure you're practicing the right things.
CAN YOU FEEL THE GROOVE?
Quote by Pagan Terrorism
. But I definitely not spending months on months writing something you think will be amazing. Because most likely, it'll suck.

initially maybe, but thats not to say spending a lot of time on a song in the end is a bad thing. i've got songs i've been writing for well on 4 or 5 years now and they probably won't be solidified until i go to record them. and i'm pretty certain they're going to rock.
Quote by F8iscruel
(...) but if i do the punk method for the frist couple songs i can get a few good thrashs out there.
What's the punk method?
3 barre chords played very very fast lol
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!