Alright, so a friend of mine and I are looking to start a metal band of our own, and I was just wondering, what brand of bass strings deliver a good deep, metallic kind of sound? I'm currently using Rotosound strings and want to know if theres anything better I should be using.
Rotosounds are very good strings you should try a set of Dean Markley Blue Steel strings. I just got a set myself and they sound great for metal
I'd stick with Rotosounds.

However, GM Jack recommends some sort of Warwick strings- dunno what type. Supposedly they sound like Rotos, but last longer. *Shrugs*
Quote by ele1122
I'd stick with Rotosounds.

However, GM Jack recommends some sort of Warwick strings- dunno what type. Supposedly they sound like Rotos, but last longer. *Shrugs*

Warwick Black Label strings are very good, I highly recommend them along with GM Jack.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Rotosound Steve Harris flatwounds. I don't have them myself, but the bass at school does and it's really mean.
Ernie Ball Power Slinkys! i use them in dropped D and anything down to dropped B
Sig.

After "bio class" did you and your classmates organize a "Celebrity Skateboard Tournament" to save your beloved "Rec Center" where "Coach Anderson" taught you how to become men?
Quote by Your41Plague12
Warwick Black Label strings are very good, I highly recommend them along with GM Jack.

Sorry, I recommend the EMP, which are their coated steels.

Honestly, you will need a very sensitive touch to even notice the coating. It still grinds your fingers up like rotos.

They aren't quite as bright as rotos, but they retain it for longer, so I would recommend that you at least try a set out, as you will get your money's worth of life in them if you orefer them or not.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
anything rotosound rocks! i have them myself, but some really great bassist out there have them. naming paul meccartney (not really metal, but hey, it's paul mccartney!) and even cradle of filth's Dave Pybus uses them. I'd reccomend!
Quote by IndianRockStar
Also to point out, Steve Harris uses Rotosound flats, but his tone comes from his clack. I will also tell you to get Rotos. They rock (and every other genre out there).

soo they punk? they funk? :P
Quote by xPunkIsNotDeadx
soo they punk? they funk? :P

yes and they also swing, country, speed metal, and salsa.
Slap a bass, not a ho.
I've just put some rotosound flat wounds on my bass+I'm quite impressed. DR's are nice too
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Their wound differently to normal strings. The big visual difference is that thair a lot smoother, the wound bits are thicker and the gaps are less noticeable if you slide your finger up the string... That's a bit of a crap description actually, I'm sure somebody will give a better one at some point
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Yep, their not as twangy/bright as round wound strings

Yep, I bought a set the other day, their a bit pricey, but then again I think most flats are... In fact most strings are in the music shops near me

It is very rare to hear something other than roundwounds in metal, as the brightness of rounds helpsthe bass cut through. Steve Harris is one of very examples of people using something else. He only pulls it off because of his aggressive clanky technique producing plenty of treble anyway.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by xPunkIsNotDeadx
anything rotosound rocks! i have them myself, but some really great bassist out there have them. naming paul meccartney (not really metal, but hey, it's paul mccartney!) and even cradle of filth's Dave Pybus uses them. I'd reccomend!

I agree with you on many things, but I highly doubt many full on metal fans will care too much for McCartney's tone. I know I don't , and I'm not even a full on metal fan. however, they are nice strings, and may be the reason I am not completely disgusted by his tone. it is too... 60's.

also, punk isn't dead, but it should be. JK!

roto does make flats, which I have never played on, but expect them to hold up to rotos usual high standards.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom