Poll: What kind of sound do you prefer?
Poll Options
View poll results: What kind of sound do you prefer?
Soulful, meaningful music played expertly
79 38%
Scales, Leggato, finger tapping songs
11 5%
A mix of both the above ^^
117 57%
Voters: 207.
Page 1 of 3
What do you guys prefer? Music played with the soul of someone like Johnny Marr of The Smiths, or do you prefer someone like Randy Rhoads, more technique driven guitarists? Or even a mix of both, like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani?

I prefer a mostly kinda soulful sound, but a bit of legatto and scales thrown in can still be soulful, meaningful music

Lets see your opinions
My metal is more br00t4lz than yours

Gear:
Squier Strat
ESP B-10 Bass
Peavey Backstage
Soulful, question was too easy. In my opinion scales and sredding and tapping and all that is overated.
Quote by St.Loony
I went doctors to see if I had AIDs. Apparently all I have is this thing called hiv... So nothing to worry about
Quote by Rezamm
Soulful, question was too easy. In my opinion scales and sredding and tapping and all that is overated.

ya i hate it when people play a scale really fast and call it a solo
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
I like my music to be as cold and soulless as possible.

/sarcasm

Seriously ts, one thing does not exclude the other, actually those guitarists who rely on heavily technique driven playing styles feel that that's what expresses their emotions the best.

This really is not a very intelligent thing to ask (and it wouldn't even have been necessary if you had used the searchbar).
depends on what your into really, for me i would say its a tie, i prefer the soul of hendrix and stevie ray, but the technique of some more modern acts just are undeniablly good to listen to, i think guitarists with soul alloow you to connect to a song more but a guitarist with technique allows you to keep going. like i get lost in behind blue eyes every time i listen to it, and when when i need something to keep my energy up i listen to dragonforce, trivium and A7X *anti-flame shield activiated* also i listen to trivium when i feel p-od it makes me feel better, that or unholy confessions, and since i heard it waking the demon
Playing with soul and a 'feel for the music' is always better IMO.
The more technical you can be thats cool. But ive always seen it as you can become too technical but you can never become too soulful and passionate about your playing...

But yeah i much prefer the soulful players with their own techniques, Hendrix for example...
Johnny marr and randy roads are both incredible
I love soulfully played music with some good technique thrown.
But if i had to choose, it'd be music with feeling rather than just ttechnique like MAB
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
well one without the other is really pretty bad, for instance the guy from avenged sevenfold only does like sweep picking, and way too technique-driven, and it sounds terrible. but, someone playing really soulfully that is out of key, or cant play notes very quickly sounds like **** too. So a mix between the two works best.

And i have to disagree, Joe Satriani plays with no soul at all....
"To me it seems pretty straightforward. There are two opinions one can have about freedom of speech, you're for it or against it." - Tom Morello

Shackled Our Minds When You're Bent on the Cross... When Ignorance Reigns, Life is Lost
I always like soulful players. Some of them are highly technical though. How can this be? The whole question is a false dilemma, besides having a biased poll(if we're going to set soul vs technique as polar opposites, shouldn't it be "sloppily played" rather than "expertly"?).

What constitutes"soulful" is a personal matter that has nothing to do with technique. Some people try to substitute technique for a lack of soul(I've also seen people try to be "soulful" to make up for their poor technique) and others can't communicate it very well. That doesn't mean I have to pick one. I don't find Rhoads' playing to be lacking in soul. I think Malmsteen plays with soul... I just don't get it.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Last edited by Free to Guitar at Jun 9, 2008,
Quote by Rezamm

I'm fed up of people who automatically say that anything that is fast lacks any kind of soul, fast and emotional are not mutually exclusive.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by RATM forever
And i have to disagree, Joe Satriani plays with no soul at all....

Uh...no.
Genius may have its limitations; stupidity is not thus handicapped.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'm fed up of people who automatically say that anything that is fast lacks any kind of soul, fast and emotional are not mutually exclusive.

Finally someone who knows what he's talking about.

Sheesh, this thread has been done dozens of times, and it's still a stupid thing to argue about, so...

*reported*
im gonna have to go with soul on this one just cause im a man who likes his mellow music lol.. i dunno what it is but when im subjected to listening to fast tapping and all that technical hooey its just like "what ev" and eventually just get sick of it but man when someone puts their shear soul and creativity into a piece thats what its all about not just shredding a scale but what can i say everyones brain likes different things right lolll
Can i just say, i didnt call them mutually different and you cant have one without the other. People like Kirk Hammet (flame shield activated) use alot of skill to convey emotions in their songs.

But people like John Squire of The Stone Roses, he plays with such emotion in the songs without turning it into endless sweep picking and scales. Ofcourse he uses scales, hes a guitarist, but it depends on how you use the skill.

I apologise if this has been done before, i must have typed in wrong words in the search bar
My metal is more br00t4lz than yours

Gear:
Squier Strat
ESP B-10 Bass
Peavey Backstage
i said soulfoul, purely because my favourite solo of all time is from

comfortably numb

"My fingers may not be the fastest but they know where they are going" - awesome

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
You've pitted soul against technique but say you can't have one without the other? You've got a terminology problem here. What you are asking is whether we prefer simple or complex guitar playing, me thinks.
Wow, another one?

I want all my guitarists to play guitar like Art Tatum played Piano
ill listen to anything as long as it has a meledy
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
All music has soul.

[/thread]
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Definitely a mix, but I'd rather listen to someone playing their heart out (provided it's good, that's where the mix should be) than just someone playing scales.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
I'm tired of these topics. Just because someone can play really fast doesn't mean theres no soul in it. Jason Becker is one of the greatest players, technique wise the world has ever seen. Just because he doesn't play the blues often, or bend the hell out of every note, doesn't mean he plays with no soul.

I'm not accusing anyone here, but that seems to be the sentiment around here. Virtuosity of an instrument is as soulful as you can be. Guitar playing is a form of expression. Just because people like to run different scales and arpeggios DOES NOT MEAN IT ISNT SOULFUL.

I enjoy slow blues playing as much as anyone, but I hate this argument. LOLOLOLZ SHREDDERZ HAVE NO SOULZ. Just stop. THIS TOPIC SUCKS.
Gibson.
techniques definitely great to have, but if you can't apply it to music that people will actually listen to, there's no point in utilizing it. And i'm not saying that everyone should just play 3 chords and right pop ballads (i hate pop), but i mean this more towards solos; improvising for the sake of improvising and for you own ego inflation is pointless and stupid, whereas soloing so that it benefits and adds to a song is smart. As far as technical stuff in riffs, so long as it isn't a 3 minute riff (whereas it changes constantly over 3 minutes just to show off technique), i don't mind. A good riff with technical playing is a helluva better than a ****ty solo with tons of sweeps and scales.
I remember reading an article where they asked John Frusciante about this, and he's response was essentially that soul was nice, but not learning your theory is lazy. I do believe that not knowing theory makes you a sub-par musician. However theres something to be said for inherent knowledge of theory - alot of the blues guys have this. They don't know WHAT they're doing, but essentially their ears and fingers fall into the same pentatonic scale as those are the tones that their ears accept, and similarly they have developed the technique to do exactly what they want to do on their instrument.

All music has feeling - there are more feelings in the world than that which can be conveyed through slow bluesy bends.
Quote by imgooley
Wow, another one?

I want all my guitarists to play guitar like Art Tatum played Piano

But Art Tatum had soul. Of course, none of the pro-soul people would ever believe that, not only because of his chromatic flurries of sheer win, but because he never played blues, despite the fact that many, many jazz standards are written in the blues form. And, as we all know, blues is the only emotional music.
Quote by Holy Katana
But Art Tatum had soul. Of course, none of the pro-soul people would ever believe that, not only because of his chromatic flurries of sheer win, but because he never played blues, despite the fact that many, many jazz standards are written in the blues form. And, as we all know, blues is the only emotional music.

Art Tatum had soul. I know that. Anybody who listens to him knows that. His melodic phrasing is unmatched by any other piano player(Thelonious Monk and Duke Ellington come close, but they have so many great compositions that they overshadow Tatum, even though they were undoubtedly influenced by him), and many, if not most of his solos are improvised.

For my money, Jazz is just another branch of blues. I have a track that he did with Ben Webster that is hair raising.
This is a stupid thing to debate about.

I don't really understand all these people that think that fast playing = no emotion. Steve Vai's For The Love of God is a pretty soulful piece but also with an assload of technical skill flaunted. What I'm trying to say is I don't understand why playing technical and playing soulfully warrant separation from each other.
Quote by Free to Guitar
I always like soulful players. Some of them are highly technical though. How can this be? The whole question is a false dilemma, besides having a biased poll(if we're going to set soul vs technique as polar opposites, shouldn't it be "sloppily played" rather than "expertly"?).

thank you.

+1 and i dont hand those out very out often.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Melodic shred FTW!!

=/= soul (well, to me)
Technicality is fine, but without soul (most shred, for example) it's boring.
Soul is nice, but if it's overly simple it's boring.
Both with musicality is what you really want. You can play scales with soul, but it's not musical. Intelligent note selection, on the other hand, makes music... well, musical. An excess of technicality or working too hard for soul will still ruin the music, however. So will trying too hard to be musical. Everything in moderation... Let the music flow.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Jun 9, 2008,
Frankly, I prefer music that has no technique and is completly devoid of soul.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
I don't see how the two can be separated and still have the guitarist be worth listening to
all the guys with soul have good technique as well ya know

technique ftw

EDIT:
Quote by Paul Carbonella
This is a stupid thing to debate about.

I don't really understand all these people that think that fast playing = no emotion. Steve Vai's For The Love of God is a pretty soulful piece but also with an assload of technical skill flaunted. What I'm trying to say is I don't understand why playing technical and playing soulfully warrant separation from each other.

EXACTLY
it all boils down to what you call soul
imo november rain solo is the best example casue everyone knows it...it has soul.
but something like death metal...technically good and can headbang but no soul.
dimebag could shred, and add soul into his music.
all are cool.
on the other hand, dont flame me, but you have all the modern bands and bands like nirvana, and emo bands, and metalcore bands, that have no soul, no technical skills, and no singing skills. they are the ultimate beginners in my eyes. there is a time and a place for everything.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
ya i hate people who underestimate shredders and say "o all he does is play random noted super fast to make it sound cool" When really theres alot of technique involved in it that people dont realize. And there are tons of players who can shred it up yet play with loads of soul
Since i have slight ADD and can't remeber scales that well I have to say soulful,i'd rather play with emotion,rather than using the same scales that every and i mean EVERY player recycles.
Quote by RandyRhoads2
Since i have slight ADD and can't remeber scales that well I have to say soulful,i'd rather play with emotion,rather than using the same scales that every and i mean EVERY player recycles.

You're probably, in fact almost certainly, playing scales. You just don't know it. Regardless, you're still recycling the same 12 notes everyone else is using.
Technique = soul.

A person with little technique cant really control what they do on the guitar.

David Gilmour for example is not fast, but he has pefected his techniques for what he does. Michael Angelo is technical in a different way and he comes up with some soulful stuff in spite of what you all think.
Page 1 of 3