I have an Epiphone G-400 and a Fender Frontman amp 25 R. Lately, I have been get this really loud annoying static noise. When I touch the strings its get louder. I don't know if its my guitar or amp. I took it to SamAsh to get it fixed, but it still makes the static noise, but when its plugged in amp at SamAsh it makes no static noise.
are you using the same guitar cable when you test it?

that's the usual culprit.

if not then plug it into a different amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
are you using the same guitar cable when you test it?

that's the usual culprit.

if not then plug it into a different amp.

No, I wasn't using the same guitar cable. I also bought a new guitar cable, still have the noise
take the guitar input out, see if the 2 wires are still attached tightly.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

like this one
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Umm I'm a little new to guitar, how do you take out the guitar input? and thank you so much for the help!
unscrew the tiny screws holding on that plate and look behind the plate.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i bet that's it.

JJ doesn't appear to be on right now at least not here but i'm sure she will check back, otherwise PM her.

the reason i'm posting is i was curious did you take the amp or the guitar in to sam ash for repair? and when you played amp at sam ash it did not make that sound - i take it you were not playing your own guitar at that time.

kinda moot now as i think you have found your problem. pics are so helpful!

good luck
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i bet that's it.

JJ doesn't appear to be on right now at least not here but i'm sure she will check back, otherwise PM her.

the reason i'm posting is i was curious did you take the amp or the guitar in to sam ash for repair? and when you played amp at sam ash it did not make that sound - i take it you were not playing your own guitar at that time.

kinda moot now as i think you have found your problem. pics are so helpful!

good luck

I took my guitar to SamAsh and plugged it in to one of their amps, it sounded perfect
oh, well that's different.

uumm...do you have your amp plugged into a say a power strip with a bunch of other stuff on it like laptops or microwaves? can you try a different outlet in home and see if there is a change?

it still could be your jack or shielding on guitar tho, did you plug your guitar in YOUR amp at Sam Ash or a different one? Can you plug a different guitar into your current amp.

just tryin to help and give you a little bumpy
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
oh, well that's different.

uumm...do you have your amp plugged into a say a power strip with a bunch of other stuff on it like laptops or microwaves? can you try a different outlet in home and see if there is a change?

it still could be your jack or shielding on guitar tho, did you plug your guitar in YOUR amp at Sam Ash or a different one? Can you plug a different guitar into your current amp.

just tryin to help and give you a little bumpy

thanks for helping!

i plugged in another guitar, a crappy yamaha, and it just a made little static noise, not as much as my sg. and I plugged my guitar into an amp at sam ash
yeah you are missing a wire.

looks like the ground. there might be a black wire bit sticking out with the white one.

it needs to attach to the other stub.

anyway, that's how it looks from the picture. is there nothing attached to that little nub, with the wire bit? or is the wire hidden in the pic?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
yeah you are missing a wire.

looks like the ground. there might be a black wire bit sticking out with the white one.

it needs to attach to the other stub.

anyway, that's how it looks from the picture. is there nothing attached to that little nub, with the wire bit? or is the wire hidden in the pic?

there is nothing attached to it
then i'd say, bingo was it's name-o.

there should be two wires attached to that jack.

and the black one might be hidden in that grey tube. 4 mins wt a soldering iron should tell you for sure.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

in that grey tube, or anywhere near it, see if there's the end of the black wire should be attached to that nub. (loose wire)

if it reaches that "lug", the one missing it's wire, then solder it there.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
in that grey tube, or anywhere near it, see if there's the end of the black wire should be attached to that nub. (loose wire)

if it reaches that "lug", the one missing it's wire, then solder it there.

I really don't see anything. Should I just take it to the shop? I have warranty on it
yep. even without a warranty, shouldnt cost more than $20.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Woot! I fixed it! I connected the end of the gray wire with that little thing, the lug? Plugged in the guitar, no more static noises! Thanks you guys so much for the help, people are very helpful and friendly here I was studying your picture and wonder if it will would work, and it did!
Last edited by VomitFace at Jun 11, 2008,