ok. Im new to this forum, so let me introduce myself before i ask my question.

Hi, my name is nate melton of banckock and is 12 years old. Ive been playing guitar for about 1 year now(i had lessons.) I love guitar and music.

ok now for my question. i learned the "Anyone Else But You" guitar part and i just want to say this song is a fun, easy song to play. The problem s, that iv never sang and played guitar before(atleast, at the same time!) oh and whoever wants to here the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtBMF0BqDrU&feature=related

i am a guy btw but, i just love the lyrics.

but i always get off tempo! like i want to play the same way as i sing.
any excersises to help this? any easy song? plz help

Ben Jamin
Last edited by emobob at Jun 9, 2008,
Just sing the song, without the guitar. Then play the song, without singing. Then pick up your guitar, and sing, but only strum on the chord changes. When you are comfortable with that, then tackle the whole thing.
Quote by emobob
ok. Im new to this forum, so let me introduce myself before i ask my question.

Hi, my name is ben kincaid of las angeles california and is 12 years old. Ive been playing guitar for about 1 year now(i had lessons.) I love guitar and music.

ok now for my question. i learned the "Anyone Else But You" guitar part and i just want to say this song is a fun, easy song to play. The problem s, that iv never sang and played guitar before(atleast, at the same time!) oh and whoever wants to here the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtBMF0BqDrU&feature=related

i am a guy btw but, i just love the lyrics.

but i always get off tempo! like i want to play the same way as i sing.
any excersises to help this? any easy song? plz help

Ben Jamin

please. dont tell us your name, age, and location. that's just asking for identity theft.

anyway... practice playing and singing. it's an acquired skill.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
The thing that helps me most is practicing the strumming pattern until it's completely automatic. Then I practice singing while only strumming on the chord changes. Once you get the rhythm of the chord changes into your head, singing while keeping the strumming pattern intact should be much easier.
you can also strum muted strings in the rythm of the song as you sing. it it helps me learn a songs strum pattern and how to control my breathing without having to concentrate on chords till i know it better.
Haha, it was fun learning to sing while playing "More than Words" by Extreme. So many offbeats when you get down to actually singing and playing. After a while, it gets to become natural.
trust me, when you've mastered the song, you can sing it while doing different strumming patterns or plucks anytime during the song.. just practice man.. practice practice practice.. that's what i did.. and i'm still doing that.. i do gigs with my acoustic, i sing at the same time..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
I agree with everyone else, it just takes practice.

When I first started, I just did one strumming patter no matter the song, so chord changes were automatic, and it was easier to sing.

Another trick I used was to sing the song in my head first while playing.
One thing that helped me too was humming the song while I was playing... All of a sudden you'll know where the words are supposed to be when your actually singing... Good Luck!
How do you get off tempo with that song? The hardest part of that song is the cheat code verse >.<

Well, I recommend Red hot chili peppers. They have songs that can even help you expirement your voice. Songs like Zephyr song, Wetsand [recommended], by the way , and many others. The easiest song is Wet sand.

You can go for How Far We've Come from Matchbox 20.

http://youtube.com/user/TheUnbornBand

This ain't me, but this guy has the best covers of songs on youtube. You can pick songs from there, but you need a capo in a few lot of the songs.
Hmm, u shud use something to put into ur ears, and not let the sound go through. just like rockers do in concerts
Welcome to UG, Nate!

For future reference, don't go around telling everyone how old you are. You are supposed to be 13 to register with the forums here. I'm not going to ban you because I'm pretty laid back, but some other moderators aren't so chill. So yeah, keep your age in your pocket.
Practice. It's an easy song to learn to sing and play at the same time too.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump