I've got my AP Calculus A/B final tomorrow, and I'm leafing through the book, looking for difficult exercises. However, I have no freakin' idea how to find the indefinite integral of the following function:

Integral of ((x^2)-1)/((2x-1)^.5) dx

Can anybody who's decent at calc help? I tried u substition, making u = 2x -1, and then du = 2 dx, but I can't get it work. Thanks guys.
Quote by Xodah
Marry me.

Quote by ..NEM..
Awesome nickname, awesome sentence under the nickname and awesome avatar. Awesome opinion too. And awesome quote. I like you.
i don't think u substitution is gonna work. try to use radical substitution or partial fractions if you have gotten that far.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by psychokiller99
i don't think u substitution is gonna work. try to use radical substitution or partial fractions if you have gotten that far.

Blargh, we haven't gotten there yet. It's in the u substitution section anyway, so, I'm completely lost. Thanks anyway though.
Quote by Xodah
Marry me.

Quote by ..NEM..
Awesome nickname, awesome sentence under the nickname and awesome avatar. Awesome opinion too. And awesome quote. I like you.
I don't know about that but I can tell you that 2+2=5.
Bada Bing

FIGHT LIKE A BRAVE

Shaga shaga woop woop...woot woot funkay funkay!
I took BC and we didnt' have a final!

Anyway, the answer is somewhat complicated (TI-89 FTMFW). Try partial fractions.
We haven't done partial fractions yet :/
Maybe it was a misprint or something?
Quote by Xodah
Marry me.

Quote by ..NEM..
could be. i don't see any way to do that by method of u-sub. try seeing if you can find a way to simplify it. i doubt you could, but maybe i'm missing something. if not, then idk. calculator or look-up table FTW.

just use any method you know. it's not like you won't be able to do that on the AP exam. they won't have a u substitution only section.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
((x^2)-1)^2
----------------

take Switch the / with X and take the (2x-1)^5 and make it (2x-1)^-5

then u'll have ((x^2)-1) (2x-1)^-5

Edit : you know what forget it ,i've been taking this stuff in arabic so it'll be a little bit difficult for me to explain

Yeah ,it's not correct ,sorry
Wolv
Last edited by Thedarkwolf at Jun 9, 2008,
try expanding it into ((x^2)/(2x-1)^.5)-(1/(2x-1)^.5)...the second half of the intergral is easy, i just dont know what the first one is. my calc is rusty

Quote by Thedarkwolf
((x^2)-1)^2
----------------

that leaves out the square root of 2x-1 in the original equation
im stupid. blahbalhblahblah
i don't why but i thought it said catctus help and when i entered the thread i was like wtf is this

Oh yeah definetly expand it like that guy ^
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
u = 2x - 1 ==> x = (u + 1)/2

Plug into the original equation to get:

integral: [((u+1)/2)^2 - 1] / sqrt(u) du ==> integral: [(u^2)/4 + u/2 - 3/4] / sqrt(u) du

Simplify and integrate. Plug in 2x -1 for u when you are done.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Jun 9, 2008,
Do it with the integration by parts formula, just make the bottom bracket's index a negative number and bring it to the top (if you know what i mean)

u*dv = uv - (integral)v*du

EDIT: ignore me, gandalf above seems to know his shiz
tis a shame cause i have maths A level on Thursday
Drive me home Jeeves
Quote by MakeItY0urs
try expanding it into ((x^2)/(2x-1)^.5)-(1/(2x-1)^.5)...the second half of the intergral is easy, i just dont know what the first one is. my calc is rusty

that leaves out the square root of 2x-1 in the original equation

My original intention was to cross the (2x-1) out from the equation as being a derivant from the ((X^2)-1) but it's not

so i think there has to be something im not thinking of
Wolv
Quote by GarlicBread
Do it with the integration by parts formula, just make the bottom bracket's index a negative number and bring it to the top (if you know what i mean)

u*dv = uv - (integral)v*du

IBP takes more work than needed for this problem. The method I suggested goes pretty quick.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
u = 2x - 1 ==> x = (u + 1)/2

Plug into the original equation to get:

integral: [((u+1)/1)^2 - 1] / sqrt(u) du ==> integral: [(u^2)/4 + u/2 - 3/4] / sqrt(u) du

Simplify and integrate. Plug in 2x -1 for u when you are done.

Ahh, I see. Wow, I'm screwed if that's on the test

One internet to you, sir.
Quote by Xodah
Marry me.

Quote by ..NEM..
Quote by g.siddarth
Ahh, I see. Wow, I'm screwed if that's on the test

One internet to you, sir.

Take comfort in the facts that:

1) There definitely WILL be "nice" answers to your questions.
2) You are not being given a system of three or four second order partial differential equations. (Shit gets worse over the years...)
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
wtf... i didnt even know you could do **** like that and i just passed calc 3...
im stupid. blahbalhblahblah
move the (2x-1)^5 to the top and make the power negative, then use integration by parts;
integral f g' = f g - integral f' g
make one term f and one g'... whichever ones easier.. do that til it works
Quote by Pricycle
move the (2x-1)^5 to the top and make the power negative, then use integration by parts;
integral f g' = f g - integral f' g
make one term f and one g'... whichever ones easier.. do that til it works

Having fun bumping old threads there? Especially ones that were answered the day they started?