I looking at buying a epiphone elitist les paul and was wondering if anyones knows if it is actually made of mahogany, I own a non-elitist Epiphone les paul and it is supposed to be made of mahogany but it is obviously not.
Durka
i doubt they'd lie

also: the elitists are supposedly better than gibsons and all that
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Yes

/thread
Quote by DiMeTiMe
*facepalm*
He said..."I own a non-elitist Epiphone les paul"...

*double facepalm*

Epiphone makes 19 Les Pauls that aren't under the elitest name.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
yes it is,

and your other guitar could be made of mahogany,

dont forget, there are different levels of quality of the same kind of wood, so it could be real mahogany on your other LP, its just crap quality,

and yes, the elitest does use real mahognay, and they are great guitars, better than the similr priced gibsons, or the very few i have played anyway

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Uh yes. The lower and mid range models use a cheap Philliphine mahogany with an African mahogany veneer. Some older ones like mine were mostly alder with a mahogany veneer, this was actually the old mahogany/alder combo. But yeah the Elitist are 100% real mahogany, they use African mahogany.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
*facepalm*

He said..."I own a non-elitist Epiphone les paul"...

*MASSIVE facepalm*

He could be referring to a special II, custom, black beauty, studio, slash sig, zakk wylde sig, ultra, ultra II, 100.
I got curious if there was "fake" Mahogany ....

From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_mahogany

Philippine mahogany is a common name for several different species of trees and their wood.

* Horticulturally, the name refers to the species Toona calantas in the mahogany family Meliaceae.
* In the timber trade, it is often applied to wood of the genus Shorea in the dipterocarp family Dipterocarpaceae; however, it is not a mahogany.

Per Federal Trade Commission

§ 250.3 Identity of woods.

* Mahogany.

1. The unqualified term mahogany should not be used to describe wood other than genuine solid mahogany (genus Swietenia of the Meliaceae family). The woods of genus Swietenia may be described by the term ‘‘mahogany’’ with or without a prefix designating the country or region of its origin, such as ‘‘Honduras mahogany’’, ‘‘Costa Rican mahogany’’, ‘‘Brazilian mahogany’’ or ‘‘Mexican mahogany’’.
2. The term ‘‘mahogany’’ may be used to describe solid wood of the genus Khaya of the Meliaceae family, but only when prefixed by the word ‘‘African’’ (e.g., ‘‘African mahogany desk’&rsquo.
3. In naming or designating the seven non-mahogany Philippine woods Tanguile, Red Lauan, White Lauan, Tiaong, Almon, Mayapis, and Bagtikan, the term ‘‘mahogany’’ may be used but only when prefixed by the word ‘‘Philippine’’ (e.g., ‘‘Philippine mahogany table’&rsquo, due to the long standing usage of that term. Examples of improper use of the term ‘‘mahogany’’ include reference to Red Lauan as ‘‘Lauan mahogany’’ or to White Lauan as ‘‘Blond Lauan mahogany’’. Such woods, however, may be described as ‘‘Red Lauan’’ or ‘‘Lauan’’ or ‘‘White Lauan’’, respectively. The term ‘‘Philippine mahogany’’ will be accepted as a name or designation of the seven woods named above. Such term shall not be applied to any other wood, whether or not grown on the Philippine Islands.
4. The term ‘‘mahogany’’, with or without qualifications, should not be used to describe any other wood except as provided above. This applies also to any of the woods belonging to the Meliaceae family, other than genera Swietenia and Khaya.

Quote by Ghold125
*MASSIVE facepalm*

He could be referring to a special II, custom, black beauty, studio, slash sig, zakk wylde sig, ultra, ultra II, 100.

All the same crap...

EDIT: You could've just checked his profile.
Last edited by DiMeTiMe at Jun 9, 2008,
Quote by VelvetFireBC491
I own a epiphone standard plus les paul

How is it "obviously" not made of Mahogany?
Old regular Epis used alder a lot. So if it's an old Epi then that might be why it doesn't feel like mahogany.

The Elitists have always used solid, top-grade mahogany though. I saw a report once that said the Elitists use mahogany higher grade than regular Gibsons, but not quite such high grade as Gibson Custom Shops. I don't know how accurate that is, but they're definitely at least of the same quality as the regular Gibsons. They're also not chambered like the Gibsons are now, so in fact you get more mahogany with Elitists than you do with Gibsons.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
you could probably argue that african mahogany isn't "real" mahogany either... but it does sound good.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CraZzZy Diamond
also if epiphone says your les paul is mahogany, it is mahogany

WRONG, epiphone/gibson dosen't want anyone to know but at the factory, if they run low on mahagony, they mix in some alder..
the Elitists are non-chambered mahogany bodies with maple tops

i emailed Epiphone and asked them that and also asked, on average, how much do they weigh

they said, 8.5-9.5 lbs

i plan to get one myself
Quote by Dave_Mc
you could probably argue that african mahogany isn't "real" mahogany either... but it does sound good.

It technically isn't. Hell, even Honduran mahogany isn't "real" mahogany, just a close relative. Real mahogany, West Indian mahogany, grows in southern Florida and, well, the West Indies. It's extremely rare, due to overharvesting. Both species, however, are now protected, so even Honduran mahogany is hard to get nowadays.
Quote by nauc
the Elitists are non-chambered mahogany bodies with maple tops

i emailed Epiphone and asked them that and also asked, on average, how much do they weigh

they said, 8.5-9.5 lbs

i plan to get one myself

nauc,

You're usually pretty interested in Elites/Elitists, so I thought I'd throw this one your way: My Epi Elite LP weighs a solid 11.1 lbs. This isn't necessarily better or worse (although lighter mahogany of high quality is more expensive than heavier mahogany of the same quality---think Gibson Historic series), but it does give some idea of the weights on some of these given the unchambered bodies.

Personally, I like a little meat on my guitars so I prefer the heavier body---it just feels all around more solid to me.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by Holy Katana
It technically isn't. Hell, even Honduran mahogany isn't "real" mahogany, just a close relative. Real mahogany, West Indian mahogany, grows in southern Florida and, well, the West Indies. It's extremely rare, due to overharvesting. Both species, however, are now protected, so even Honduran mahogany is hard to get nowadays.

Damn pirates over harvesting our mahogany for their damn peg legs.
Guitars:
Schecter C-1+ Black Cherry FMT
2008 American Standard Stratocaster Candy Cola

AMPS:
Fender G-DEC
Fender Dyna-touch III Stage 1000
Vox Valvetronix XL AD30VTXL

Pedals:
DOD Supradistortion FX-55B (w/ Boost)
Quote by FourSticks17
nauc,

You're usually pretty interested in Elites/Elitists, so I thought I'd throw this one your way: My Epi Elite LP weighs a solid 11.1 lbs. This isn't necessarily better or worse (although lighter mahogany of high quality is more expensive than heavier mahogany of the same quality---think Gibson Historic series), but it does give some idea of the weights on some of these given the unchambered bodies.

Personally, I like a little meat on my guitars so I prefer the heavier body---it just feels all around more solid to me.

interesting, maybe the person who emailed me back, got it wrong.. idk

i always figured the Elitist would weigh more than 8.5-9.5 lbs

how old is your Elitist? anything you dont like about it?

thanks
Quote by SovietSpartan

lol.................
Quote by Holy Katana

that's what i meant
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by SovietSpartan

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?