well, within a year i plan on purchasing a new amp. hopefully it will be something i keep forever. my current amps are in my sig. i primarily play thtough the hot rod deluxe. it really is a great sound amp, which awesome cleans. in fact i do love the amp, i just am aware that there are much better amps out there.
i play blues, jazz, some classic/southern rock, and alot of classic soul and RnB. so needless to say i need great cleans, great tube driven reverb is a plus, but not a neccessity. it needs to be american voiced, and i would like it to be under $2000 US, but would really like it between $1000 and $1500.
here are some of the amps i have already tried out, i will try them out some more im sure.

65 deluxe reverb reissue. it was about $950.
pros.
great reverb, and i fell in love with the vibrato, it was great for the old otis redding type stuff. the amp nailed the robert Cray sound with my strat. i also think that the 22 watts is the perfect amount for me. enough to not be uber loud at home, and enough to get some real nice tones live without too much stage volume.

cons.
basically just one con. the overall clean sound was only slightly better than my HRD, and def. not several hundred dollars better. onto the next amp.

Fender Twin Reverb.
pros. pretty much same as the other, excpept the watts part.

cons
same as deluxe reverb, also it has alot more power than i want.

and here are some more amps im going to be searching for (i havent found these yet or havent been released yet)
both of the fender Vibrolux amps.
Fender Super Reverb.
65 Princeton Reverb.
also, i dont know much about non Fender/Marshall amps. so if anyone else suggests anything, i will gladly try and find one. out of all of these mentioned, is there one that i should make sure i can find, is there one that stands out to you as the perfect amp for me? thanks for the help.

edit/ im also very very interested in the 6L6 version of the Mesa Lonestar. not sure if its in my price range though
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Jun 9, 2008,
For the sake of a good clean tone, look at a Roland JC-120, unless your set on a tube amp.
Quote by Ghold125
For the sake of a good clean tone, look at a Roland JC-120, unless your set on a tube amp.

well yeah, those are nice for cleans, and only cleans. i still need the warmth and break up of a tube amp.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I think Mesa/Boogie Mark IVs get some nice cleans... but also have the screaming distortion they're famous for.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
orange? i like there clean tones
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
orange? i like there clean tones

i want american voiced though. they do have nice cleans, just not the type im looking for, thanks though.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
also interested in the Mesa Lonestar
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I really don't know a lot about fender amps as I play mostly metal, but I have heard good things about the vibrolux. I would also try looking at a Vox, unless that is more gain than you want.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not
Quote by party_on_wayne
I would also try looking at a Vox, unless that is more gain than you want.

im looking for american voiced.
i like those though, but not for cleans.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Iceman 420
A Rivera Venus 6 or a Mesa Boogie Lone Star.

how much do mesa lonestars go for?
and do mesa dealers actually exist, or is it a myth?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
yeah i was actually interested in them. those are really really versatile amps. however the cleans are lacking just a bit, and the other channels are a little too much for me. thanks though
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
how much do mesa lonestars go for?
and do mesa dealers actually exist, or is it a myth?

The heads and combos go for around $1800 I believe. And if by Mesa dealers you mean places that stock them, then yeah, my GC has a few.
Have you tried a mesa 5:25? If not I would suggest it. I didn't do a big demo on the cleans, but if they're anything like my f-30 then they're very fender if you cut the mids. It has el-84s and can sound british if you want, but can sound american if you want. Not saying it's perfect but for 1k I'd definitely say try one. Switchable to 5 watts which is good for home use.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Have you tried a mesa 5:25? If not I would suggest it. I didn't do a big demo on the cleans, but if they're anything like my f-30 then they're very fender if you cut the mids. It has el-84s and can sound british if you want, but can sound american if you want. Not saying it's perfect but for 1k I'd definitely say try one. Switchable to 5 watts which is good for home use.

i was going to look at the 5:50. it has 6L6s.
i cant find any mesa dealers within over an hour of me. and then the ones that i can find within 2-3 hours of me, only stock dual and triple recs.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
^oh yeah, didn't think about that. I never tried that one since it was higher wattage than I wanted. You might just have a make a road trip man. Make it a day and check places that have other amps you want to try. Plan a route or something.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
yeah thats about my only hope
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I don't play that type of music but I heard a Lonestar is good for low-gain stuff.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse!!!

And i'm not saying it just because I own one.
Since you're in Ohio, CBB amps pop up used on craigslist and other guitar forum's gear ads.
And even in stores (where I got mine).

you can easily get one for <2000. I got mine for 1500

It puts reissue fenders to shame, and have a bit more tonal mojo happening than vintage ones. It also helps that they're some of the sexiest amps on the market .

If you want any info, contact me.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse!!!

And i'm not saying it just because I own one.
Since you're in Ohio, CBB amps pop up used on craigslist and other guitar forum's gear ads.
And even in stores (where I got mine).

you can easily get one for <2000. I got mine for 1500

It puts reissue fenders to shame, and have a bit more tonal mojo happening than vintage ones. It also helps that they're some of the sexiest amps on the market .

If you want any info, contact me.

because of you i already thought of those haha. i just forgot to mention them in here. where did you buy yours?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
because of you i already thought of those haha. i just forgot to mention them in here. where did you buy yours?

Elderly Instruments in Lansing, Michigan.

It was their only one, and it was used.
It's going to be a bit of a challenge to find one, but it'll be worth it.

If not, I'd look around the vintage market.
I really didn't like the fender reissues a whole lot, but they were pretty good for the price.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
yeah i was unimpressed with the reissues i played. now they were great sounding, but in all honestly not THAT much better than what i have.
i wont be able to afford i blackface, and my buddy who used to use my SF bassman just bought a silverface twin reverb and I think its kind of lackluster.
it seems like people who want more of a hard rock to metal sound have lots and lots of great options that are reasonably affordable, buy us guys looking for a great warm american style clean amp have trouble. so many of them lack depth or are just bland.

edit/ you took of that demo of your amp? i was going to listen to it again haha.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Eh... I was thinning out the MP3's.
I have a couple of alright solo jams up which I play the CBB on, but since I recorded it with a camera mic, the sound quality isn't really there too much.

In real life though, my amp in particular has cleans very similar to a Blackface super reverb's. It has a bit more of an airy top end to it, and sounds a bit more balanced.
When the harmonic boost is engaged, the amp howls. Like, it has some grit and some fudge happening at the same time. Very nice.

You'll have to play it though, even though it's a great amp, it can easily be a love/hate amp.
I love it, but apparently some people thought it wasn't that great, since it's been sitting in my shop's showroom for 2 years.
Or, the fact that it was expensive didn't help either.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
yeah i listened to your other recordings.
its def. the right type of voicing. but then again so are the fender reissues haha.
i will need to track one down and play it to really hear the subtle nuances in it.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Yeah, it sounds alot better in real life.
Tracking a used one down will be hard though.

It does have kind of less pronounced advantages over a vintage or reissue amp.

For example, it not only lightens up volume wise with your pick attack, but it doesn't get overly muddy or "soft", like some reissues can.

It doesn't compress alot. This is a good thing, in my book. I realized that with reissues and vintage blackfaces, the tone kind of squashed down and kind of muddled up at higher volumes, with some dynamics being lost in the compression and breakup.

The harmonic boost switch is one of the greatest features i've ever had on an amp. I'm getting this modded to be footswitchable, but it essentially switches from a SR voicing to more of a bassman voicing. Very nice.

But again, you have to make sure that you like it. I realized that this amp stock isn't super great. It had sovtek power tubes, and all JJ preamp tubes (which aren't too bad, but some tweaking with tubes does wonders). Once you get a set of good power tubes in and your choice of preamp tubes, you're all set.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Jun 10, 2008,
yeah thats what i fear. hopefuly i will find something that just blows me away. and isnt a dumble or two rock, cuz i cant spend that much haha.
im really interested in the mesa lonestar.
i really want the deluxe reverb to be THE amp, however from playing it once for about an hour it didnt seem to be. maybe ill find a special one.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Yeah.
In case you didn't read, I just edited my previous post.

But whatever you pick, pick what works for you!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
hey thanks, i didnt even notice the edit.
i really hope i can find one to try. if i end up moving back to boston this year like i think i might i will probably have more luck finding things.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
^I dunno, Ohio is one of the better places to find a CBB.
The closer you are to Illinois, the better chances you have for finding a used CBB.

But, again, good luck!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
^I dunno, Ohio is one of the better places to find a CBB.
The closer you are to Illinois, the better chances you have for finding a used CBB.

But, again, good luck!

im like the furthest place you can possibly be from there while still being in ohio. im southeast, like almost in kentucky. like im in the hills of the Appalachan mountains, friggen hick town haha.
i figure if im in new england ill be able to find lots of different stuff. im not sure if im gonna move there again or not. its tough to leave your friends and family behind.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.