I'm considering getting a DiMarzio X2N and Tone zone to put in the bridge and neck of my Ibanez S520EX, respectivly. I chose these because of the high output and ability to handle distortion. But I've heard a bit of negativity towards one or both of these pickups. This combination is going to be used primarily for metal. Is this going to be a good combination? Can you suggest anything better?
bridge-dimarzio super distortion
neck-dimarzio PAF pro.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Actually that set-up sounds fine, maybe get a D-Activator if you want something heavier for the bridge but want to stay passive.
Quote by Ghold125
i wouldn't bother
but look at emg's

I wanted to do EMGs, but I decided to stay passive.
Crap, I just had a thought. The S520EX is a mahogany body guitar. DiMarzios are supposed to be better for lighter woods. Will they sound bad in a mahogany body guitar? Should I get EMGs for mahogany?
stay away from active pickups.

routing is not fun.

edit: go to dimarzio.com. they have a pickup finder that includes the type of wood you have.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
+1 on the pickup picker.

go to seymourduncan.com. they have the tone wizard, similar to the pickup picker of dimarzio.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by FryingNemo
Crap, I just had a thought. The S520EX is a mahogany body guitar. DiMarzios are supposed to be better for lighter woods. Will they sound bad in a mahogany body guitar? Should I get EMGs for mahogany?

What amp have you got and what kind of tone are you trying to get? Don't say "metal" because that can mean anything and don't describe it in terms of other bands...describe the tone itself that you have in your head.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
id say a pair of d-activators. they come stock on ibanez new icemans and v's, and theyre mahogany bodied guitars too, they sound very brootal, and the low end is great.
Quote by steven seagull
What amp have you got and what kind of tone are you trying to get? Don't say "metal" because that can mean anything and don't describe it in terms of other bands...describe the tone itself that you have in your head.

Right now, I'm playing through a ****ty Fender Frontman, but I'm getting a Peavey Valveking 112 soon. When I say metal, I mean a tone that can handle moderate to heavy amounts of distortion while still being defined enough so that I can make out the notes. I want pickups with a large amount of output, and a nice amount of crunch. A real heavy tone with heavy distortion and crunch. Is that accurate enough? I'm not the best at explainations.
just a question, but whats the point in changing pups when you don't know what your going to sound like?
Quote by Ghold125
just a question, but whats the point in changing pups when you don't know what your going to sound like?

That's kinda the point of this thread. I only know the sound of these pickups based on what I've read and seen in videos on Youtube. So, I have a general idea, but still not an exact one. Which why I'm asking you.
but, then thats on youtube, and that could sound completely different then what they really sound.
Quote by Ghold125
but, then thats on youtube, and that could sound completely different then what they really sound.

Yeah, that had crossed my mind. I'm just trying to do as much research as possible so that I won't buy a pickup that won't sound good, put it in my guitar, try it, say "This sucks", and then go buy another one.
if i was in your situation i wouldn't get the valveking and save the money for the pick-ups and look at a more metal oriented amp such as a Randall or B-52
Quote by Ghold125
if i was in your situation i wouldn't get the valveking and save the money for the pick-ups and look at a more metal oriented amp such as a Randall or B-52

The only Randall that interests me is the Warhead Combo.

As for B-52, the AT-112 looks very cool, but I've heard alot of complaints about how unreliable it is.

Is the Valveking 112 really a bad choice? It looks like a quality amp.
^B-52 fixed there qc.

And the Valveking is a some what crummy amp stock, and only after about $150 (us) in mods does it start to shine. But it's cleans are still not the greatest. And it doesn't come with a footswitch
Quote by Ghold125
^B-52 fixed there qc.

And the Valveking is a some what crummy amp stock, and only after about $150 (us) in mods does it start to shine. But it's cleans are still not the greatest. And it doesn't come with a footswitch

So, in your sig when you say "NEW B-52 AT-112", you mean the version that isn't crap?
im just referring to the fact that i got it 3 months ago, but it is also the new version of the at series. I played about a year and a half ago the old AT's which shorted out after about 5 minutes of playing, but i got a good sound out of it. But I think your own ears should be the judge.
boo to passives. actives are the best. actually some passives are good and i'd recommend the seymour duncan hot rod set, jazz and whatever else it's called. know nothing about dimarzios, but passives emg's suck dick. why would alexi laiho ever use them??? good thing he switched out of emg's cuz hz is ****.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack