Poll: Should the police be able to shoot a fleeing suspect?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should the police be able to shoot a fleeing suspect?
Yes
11 11%
Yes with some modifications
44 45%
no
42 43%
Voters: 97.
Ok so my father is a police officer in Southern California and last night we were watching an episode of World's Wildest Police Videos. One of the videos was shot in Brazil. A man had been a known drug dealer and he was running from the cops. I was surprised to see the police start firing at the man after he had jumped into a river to escape. Apparently in Brazil the Police are allowed to shoot a fleeing suspect. I was just wondering if you guys would like to see it in your country.
Quote by RyanGillam
You got to admire people that share their problems over the internet.

Quote by Våd Hamster
....You need a girlfriend whose name doesn't end in .jpg >_>
No. The cops can play catch up. It's good exercise!
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
no, because one day i might be fleeing from law enforcement!
Quote by WaggyPlank
so yeah, now i have poop floating around in my ballsack.
they should be fit enough to chase down a druggie, honestly. the fat ones can use a car or a motorcycle.
Quote by !normajean!
shoot them with rubber bullets.
in the back of the leg.
they're not gonna run after that.

that hurts alot more then those damn bean bags. i had some of those and the bean bag shells and i was drunk at a friends house... guess what we did.

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
If they just shot someone and are running away, yes. If they were jaywalking and run, then no. It depends on whether or not they are dangerous to the public and if there is no chance of hitting anybody.

Speaking of which, does anybody remember the scene in Its A Wonderful Life when he's not alive and he starts tweeking out in the middle of the city? The cops come and he runs. Then the cop just starts shooting at him and almost hits some random people. I serious recommend you find this 10 second clip cause its absolutely hilarious.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
No, otherwise I'd be long dead. An no beanbags or rubber bullets, those ****ing hurt. In my country all they carry are coshes and mace, which is bad enough. One of those coshes over the head and a faceful of mace and you're ****ed
ohai little sig.
I think that, like a bunch of other people, if they pose a threat, not just some petty thief, then they should shoot.

Again, proper action should be taken given the severity of the situation, i.e. they should act to neutralize the threat at the level the threat will occur on. By that I mean they should shoot to kill if they dude has a gun and has fired (or plans to) fire the weapon, and shoot to disable/prevent further resistancre (a shot to the leg or something) if it's less severe.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Yes they should, definately. If Jean Charles de Menezes had have stopped when he was told to his stupid-ass would stil be alive today.
Well first if the guy is fleeing and shooting a machine gun into the cops' direction at the same time then yes, but if they are just running then the cops should be able to catch them. Ever taken one of those Beep Test things cops and fire fighters have to take? god it's hard.
Quote by Cameronrobson
The cops should set their phasers to stun.

what kind of phaser? a MXR phase 90? or a boss phase shifter?
Wow, you ruined a good joke.

You suck.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Police don't even carry guns in my country.

However, we do have armed police and they're only called when the suspects are also armed. I don't think they should shoot people who are running away.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
I think if someone is carrying a weapon, and a police officer has good reason to think it will be used, then they should be able to immobilise that person regardless of whether they're directly threatening police at the time. But I'd be talking about an offender who'd, for instance, committed an armed holdup, and is now making a getaway still carrying a loaded gun.

Should the cops be able to shoot that person before they jack someone's car at gunpoint? I believe so. I wouldn't ever want to see a situation where just running from the cops gets you killed though.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
If the suspect poses a threat to the public, then I think the police should be allowed to use some sort of stun gun.
Quote by !normajean!
shoot them with rubber bullets.
in the back of the leg.
they're not gonna run after that.

Shoot them with real bullets, in the back of the leg. They won't run after that either.
I'm confident that police officers who use guns are better trained to shoot cheaper bullets from a gun that is easier to wield. Cut out the middle man and use a real gun.
I'd agree with people shooting fleeing criminals. If you don't willingly stop for the police then you deserve to be shot. I don't mean fatally, legs is very good.
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by AuroraBorealis
Yes they should, definately. If Jean Charles de Menezes had have stopped when he was told to his stupid-ass would stil be alive today.

What a moron that guy was! It was only a short while after the bombings, and he runs from police shouting stop? On to a subway? In a big coat in summer?

Quote by BlackLuster
I'd agree with people shooting fleeing criminals. If you don't willingly stop for the police then you deserve to be shot. I don't mean fatally, legs is very good.

What, so they should be able to shoot someone who runs away after stealing a chocolate bar from a shop?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by clapton-floyd
What a moron that guy was! It was only a short while after the bombings, and he runs from police shouting stop? On to a subway? In a big coat in summer?

Actually, no he didn't.

"The firearms officers boarded the train and may have challenged the suspect, though later report indicates he was not challenged. According to Hotel 3, de Menezes then stood up and advanced towards the officers and Hotel 3, at which point Hotel 3 grabbed him, pinned his arms against his torso, and pushed him back into the seat. Although de Menezes was being restrained, his body was straight and not in a natural sitting position. Hotel 3 heard a shot close to his ear, and was dragged away onto the floor of the carriage. He shouted 'Police!' and with hands raised was dragged out of the carriage by one of the armed officers who had boarded the train. Hotel 3 then heard several gunshots while being dragged out. Two officers fired a total of eleven shots according to the number of empty shell casings found on the floor of the train afterwards. De Menezes was shot seven times in the head and once in the shoulder at close range, and died at the scene. An eyewitness later said that the eleven shots were fired over a thirty second period, at three second intervals. A separate witness reported hearing five shots, followed at an interval by several more shots. It later emerged that hollow point bullets had been employed and a senior police source said that de Menezes' body had been "unrecognisable." The bullets are illegal in warfare, but are widely used in law enforcement where it may often be necessary to quickly stop an armed assailant."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Charles_de_Menezes#Pursuit_and_shooting

It is totally unnecessary to shoot down a fleeing suspect. Police should be fit enough to give chase, and smart enough to be able to follow them. Too many trigger happy cops for it to wok effectively.
nerf or nothing!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by AuroraBorealis

1)The word is "definitely".
2)Get your fucking facts straight you idiot. He was never told to stop. He boarded a train and sat down normally. Policemen stormed into the carriage, pinned him to the floor and shot him 7 times in the head.

Quote by clapton-floyd

None of those things are true. He did not have a big coat on, he did not run, he did not jump the barrier, he was not asked to stop. You're a fucking ignorant fool.

Oscar Wilde
Only if the suspect threatens to kill other people.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by Meths
Police don't even carry guns in my country.

However, we do have armed police and they're only called when the suspects are also armed. I don't think they should shoot people who are running away.

But they DO shoot Brazillians who jump the barrier and don't pay their Tube fare...
Zero tolerance, that's the way!

*rolleyes*